It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should all comment on each others threads?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
reply to post by Dustytoad

Is not my fault, they don't have sarcasm in Europe. Or humor.

*Puts on German hat*

Hey now no knocking Germans.. I'm half German (actually)

Judging by Piers Morgan Europeans must have had an amazing sense of humor, bahaha.. Until it ran out..

Oh and Greek people.. Just pay back your debts.. And Spain hush up on the violence guys.. Your government sucks deal with it.. And the French with their silly statue gifts and support in the early days, you guys suck too.

Oh and happy EU guys..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
Judging by Piers Morgan Europeans must have had an amazing sense of humor, bahaha.. Until it ran out..

Piers Morgan is British. They're not really European, we just let them borrow that island since we don't need it and they sometimes make good television.

We need an international ATS day where for 24hrs Americans have to post about other countries... preferably one that isn't Canada or Mexico.

And preferably no posts about how they 'won' World War II. >.>

JAK

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Piers Morgan is British.

Lies! When it comes to the deportation issue I want to see a birth certificate before he's allowed back here.

edit on 11/1/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
ahahaha

According to David Icke, Pier's birth certificate reads Sirius B or Draco or something I'd imagine.

Vaguely on topicish ... Do persons actually get asked to be quiet when they're not American here often? I've not had it happen really. I've had persons assume I'm American, but not been dismissed for being ummm ... not American?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

Vaguely on topicish ... Do persons actually get asked to be quiet when they're not American here often?

It does happen unfortunately. However, it is a minority of the membership, and there are a few reasons for it.

Some international members have an approach that is roughly equivalent to a bull in a china shop. They're approach is less than friendly, and is more derogatory than sincere and helpful.

Then you have a small handful of Americans that genuinely don't receive advice from "outsiders" well. They see international members opinions as having no validity, and my guess is these same people didn't receive correction or advice from their parents or teachers well either. In other words, they're looking to be offended.

Personally, I like the international input, and I think we Americans can benefit from the "outside looking in", perspective that you folks bring to the table. I think most American members would agree.

edit on 1/11/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I liked your post.. I agree with it. I definitely have a chip on my shoulder for anyone who EVER tells me what to do.. l will listen to what one thinks of anything, and I love the conversation, When you start telling ME what I need to do, and especially if you mount other pressures like media and disinfo I'm not going to be talking nice. they won't find me telling them about their laws (barring humor).. And I almost always agree on American foreign policy I hate it too.

OH and @ Pinke you have to keep the UK in "European" because for one they are in the European Union, so... and secondly They like to get pissed, so they piss, and then, European..

Wondering how well my jokes translate now hahaha..
edit on 1/11/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
reply to post by Juggernog

Do you have even a passing familiarity with woodwardjnr or did you come to that assumption all by yourself?

From just one other thread: UK risks 'turning inwards' over EU referendum - US official

Originally posted by ganjoa
OK I'm an ugly American and don't have a right to an opinion about what the folks in the UK do politically.
HOWEVER - if the government of the USA wants something, it's probably NOT in the best interests of the citizens in the UK and my opinion is that you should have your referendum and take appropriate action.
You guys have a commonwealth as well as a union so really what do you need the EU for?

ganjoa

Originally posted by spleenika
As an American, who has properly been asked to keep my nose out of it, please forgive my intrusion.

I think a referendum is an incredibly important, good idea. How can there be any legitimacy on such a national issue, without seeking consent from the electorate?

Why even vote for anything, if the government knows whats best for its people without a vote? Just toss the whole voting nonsense if you believe the people can not be trusted.

What decision your country makes, is up to your fellow countrymen to debate and decide. But as a friend, I think you should at least be given the choice. And yes, our President should have kept his nose out of it. I will remove mine as well now.

While it may be uppermost in your mind perhaps not every post offered on ATS of late is completely focused on gun control. Perhaps there is a broader point here. Perhaps this one rests on more than a paranoid, personally motivated assumption. Perhaps with such a knee-jerk reaction, one that I would suggest reflects more your personal perspective/fears/obsession than the open intent of this thread and is symbolic of the mentality which leads here, you're contributing to the very climate which has allowed things to deteriorate to such a level that a statement such as this is required and where posts such as the two quoted above are offered with such a disclaimer.

Of course, if you were being ironic with the above in mind . . . then yah-boo, Jak bit.

Great and valid point woodwardjnr and good to see it being supported here.

edit on 11/1/13 by JAK because: (no reason given)

All by myself

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I would have to agree as well. I'm no world traveler. I have no idea what it is like, aside from what I hear.
I am smart enough to not believe what I hear on the news and from the government.
I would rather hear from our international friends here.

IF, they can be respectful! I will give it to you all day long, as long as you return it. But the same should come from us here in the US too.
edit on 11-1-2013 by chiefsmom because: grammer

edit on 11-1-2013 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

That's a fair observation

The general feeling I get, especially regarding current events, is you better be prepared for a mouthful if your a non-American discussing American issues.

Okay we're not American, but hey - your news occupies our news - We should all discuss each other.
Yes, you get s'n-word'ed at by the rest of the world, because some of the things your country delivers, make it feel as though we're in a comedy parody.

After all, America's home to Hollywood.

But don't act like you don't have humorous misconceptions about all other countries yourselves; Canada, Britain, Australia, Iran etc, etc....

Talk about PC gone mad!

Anyway, I don't think this really comes down to borders.
Just argumentative ego's floating around ATS.

The other night I couldn't even gain one civil, intelligent conversation.

I tried discussing trends in human behavior...that soon got derailed... and I apparently had my post ripped apart, to draw the conclusion that....... I am actually obsessed with French men.

I didn't even know that, you learn something new every day aye? lol

ETA: I see one of my words had been edited as thus: 'n-word'.
To clarify I'll repeat it here with an"m"..........Smiggered
(To Laugh)
edit on 11-1-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
To be fair, there are a lot of comments lately about how crazy nuts we Americans are.

So I have an idea. Its the only thing I can think of to convince some folks that the average American isn't a gun-toting zombie.

Why don't you come over to my house next Friday, say about 7:00ish.....we'll have us a nice bar-b-que. Bring your favorite side dish (no Veggimite, sorry) and a beverage.

smylee

Oh, and OP? S&F

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Hey now no knocking Germans.. I'm half German (actually)

Oh and Greek people.. Just pay back your debts.. And Spain hush up on the violence guys.. Your government sucks deal with it.. And the French with their silly statue gifts and support in the early days, you guys suck too.

Oh and happy EU guys..

Hey! what about the Irish...
We suck too you know!
harder than most........

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

You may know this old saying. "Haters always gonna hate", no matter what country they live in. Lets just be glad they're a minority among us.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

SnF

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh

Hey! what about the Irish...
We suck too you know!
harder than most........

Top o the mornin to ya. That you Conan? Doesn't it suck enough to be responsible for O'Reily ? But no I generally like the Irish for their dislike of the silly Englishmen.. Is Brad still IRA? They were a fun bunch o lads no doubt?

Oh and yea you suck hard.. Hard on the bottle LAAD.. You guys should ban Alcohol because of the children.. I can't believe you guys. I havn't had a pint in 3ish days and I'm fine what's wrong with ya? we're just going to limit the table to ten rounds.. It's not like we are going to take away the beer, just No More Assault Parties yea?

We're concerned too many kids are getting a contact drunk with the (hcI) high capacity Irishmen.. As an American I demand you see how crazy you are.. You don't need beer.. That's so sad you think you need it.
Why don't you just drink American Beer, you don't need Wall piercing fists and at least reload after every drank. Don't just sit unner the tap.. You DON'T need that kind of power.

Don't get me started on Americans.. Those Fat Loud Cowboys never shut up.. I mean I can't get a word in edgewise. Don't forget bieber Fever's infection site.. Oh yea Good ol USA, Pappy. That's where they keep all the imbreds, just saying no offense stupid yanks.. GAWD do they go on about God.. "In god we Trust." Yea as you guys murder babies with your assault rifles, ya crazy gun toters. Eagles and Red White and Blue, and Fried chicken.. oohh wee!

And How.

Maybe if some of those other countries had any culture they'd stop copying everything we do.

Thing about trying to come up with American stereotypes is there isn't one kind of American.. I hope everyone realizes this.. As I realize when I do an English accent I'm doing a Liverpool one because of the beatles. My family that is english is from black pool wherever that is..

For instance I am in a southern state in a liberal town. I'm largely a Hippy, but a conservative one, who will defend the second amendment rabidly, even though I am not a gun owner, and no one in my imidiate family owns any either. Nor do any of my friends.. O and I often say I am half black, even though I am really mostly german and Cheerokee.. With a little bah... english, and top it off with a little scotch. No pun intended but I do like alcohol.

I'm crazy.. guess the shoe fits..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Nice thread, I kinda fell out with ATS a week or so ago after getting roped into yet another heated debate, was even rude to a mod which I regret - said some silly things in the heat of the moment in my typical reactionary fashion.

I owe said mod an apology and a few other ATSers aswell.

Truth is I am not educated enough in the american culture to say how things should be over there, I don't hate or even dislike america or the people. It's certainly causing a division of some kind which can't be good.

I became part of that, kinda shameful, really.

It's not what I came to ATS for, politics isn't really my bag. Anyway, calm now...kinda embarassed and slightly sheepish, returning with my tail between my legs. I don't want to be that guy, so apologies to all concerned.

Flagging this for highlighting an important issue...we don't need wedges driver between us, I think the ATS community, of which I have been part for over a year after many years as a lurker, is better than that...sorry to drag it down.

Star and flag, cheers.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Getting slightly tired of this silly trend of members getting upset about members from other countries commenting in their threads. This is an international board and if I want to have an opinion on what's going on in your country then ill post it. The same should apply vice versa.

The beauty of ATS, is that it's an international site, so we have the benefit of opinion from others rather than just people from our own countries. It's a shame we don't have more countries represented. If we all stuck to just issues that concerned our own countries then ATS is going to get very boring

I agree 100%. If members stay on topic they can say anything they want, no matter where they're from. I've also seen too many comments, like: 'Stop posting in this forum', 'This topic has been done to death', 'That's against the T&C'... These sort of replies are a waste of space.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perhaps

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I notice a large part of the problem is that people are telling other people they are wrong...
they should be telling other people they THINK other people are wrong...
oh and America Wins!! We're Number 1!!

Yup, that's correct... number 1 in obesity in the anglo-developed world

Yet we still kicked your butts in the Olympics...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

The beauty of ATS, is that it's an international site, so we have the benefit of opinion from others rather than just people from our own countries.

ATS being an (international website) is one of (I believe) the benefits of this site. I like reading about what is (really happening) in other countries...from people that actually live there...they can tell us what MSM does not tell us.

I like being connected to the world and knowing...what is what!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
There's too many self righteous arrogant Americans on these forums that believe that those of us who don't live in their joke of a country don't have a right on commenting on their issues.

But here is the reality. It has been shown that Americans are blissfully unaware of many of the issues outside of their country that shape the international arena whilst Europeans, Africans, Latin Americans, Asians and Australians are not only aware of these issues but of the intricate details of American politics itself.

The reasons being? We're exposed to a variety of culture through media communications, including American culture through Hollywood, whilst Americans tend to be self-centric and careless for the outside world. As such they only continue to absorb their own culture through media communications.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
There's too many self righteous arrogant Americans on these forums that believe that those of us who don't live in their joke of a country don't have a right on commenting on their issues.

But here is the reality. It has been shown that Americans are blissfully unaware of many of the issues outside of their country that shape the international arena whilst Europeans, Africans, Latin Americans, Asians and Australians are not only aware of these issues but of the intricate details of American politics itself.

The reasons being? We're exposed to a variety of culture through media communications, including American culture through Hollywood, whilst Americans tend to be self-centric and careless for the outside world. As such they only continue to absorb their own culture through media communications.

I do like having members from across the world on this site with their varying views and experiences but it's people like this, the person I quoted, that even if not the majority, seem to be by far the loudest. It's hard to get through an entire thread without encountering someone like this. The anti-American rhetoric on this site is just getting out of control. Most of the posters on here have done nothing to deserve this, our government may have but not us. I'm not saying that there aren't arrogant Americans on this site, I've seen them myself but the kind of behavior displayed here was rampant even before all the gun control talks that have ramped up recently.

The quoted post above is clearly national discrimination which is no different than racism or religious discrimination. I'd be just as upset if I saw an American on here talking about how all Canadians are weak and can't stand up for themselves so the Americans have to do it for them, which I have seen before. I love Canada by the way. It must be nice to be able to just paint all Americans, or any group for that matter, a certain way so that you don't have to actually acknowledge any one person from that group and decide on a personal level how you feel about them or what they have to say. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join