It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover a Planet Almost Identical to Earth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Elvis Hendrix

You too?
Why do you think I don't want there to be other life in the Galaxy? As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure there is. But finding an Earth sized planet at a reasonable distance from its star does not demonstrate it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I always wondered..

WHAT IF they did find a similar planet with trees and sand and water but no life? maybe microbilies, but no actual animals or humans or bugs? There could not be vegetation because no bees or whatnot, but still be cool.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

You too?
Why do you think I don't want there to be other life in the Galaxy? As a matter of fact, I'm quite sure there is. But finding an Earth sized planet at a reasonable distance from its star does not demonstrate it.

Many people have tried to fight the tide. Hope youve got your armbands at the ready. cos its a coming.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Yes. Liquid water could exist.
If Mars had a thicker atmosphere, liquid water could exist on it.
If Venus' atmosphere were not so thick, it wouldn't be so hot and liquid water could exist on it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if there is an actual identical planet like Earth that inhabits the same people over there just different personalities and life circumstances. Imagine meeting your alternate self...how awesome would that be..I'd love to be best friends with myself.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Many people have tried to fight the tide. Hope youve got your armbands at the ready. cos its a coming.
Thank you for such an insightful contribution to the discussion.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Thank you for such an insightful contribution to the discussion.

Why thank you sir, I try.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
All those "high powered" telescopes and what not, yet they still can't find "life" on another planet? One day, we'll realize how SPECIAL earth and it's inhabitants are. WE ARE THE ONLY LIFE EXISTENCE IN THE UNIVERSE! GET OVER IT!!!! ACCEPT IT! Now....can we PLEASE take care of the planet that actually has LIFE!?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Just like water on our Moon…'well, NASA is ‘happy’ to confirm the Japanese and India reports that water does exist on our Moon..(hmmm we say)..it’s just that NASA wasn’t quite sure that its own measurements 20 years ago that showed water on our moon were believable…which is why NASA continued to deny that water is on the Moon ..until these two foreign nations reported their own measurements…oh, by the way, these two foreign nations used NASA instrumentation to make their measurements!!!

IMHO, we can expect a ‘delayed’ eco-life confirmation from NASA within a few months from data and perhaps contact that occurred 10 years ago. But, it’ll take another year for the ET Lunar bases to be confirmed. Well, you know how things go, don’t we?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlowinSmoke
All those "high powered" telescopes and what not, yet they still can't find "life" on another planet? One day, we'll realize how SPECIAL earth and it's inhabitants are. WE ARE THE ONLY LIFE EXISTENCE IN THE UNIVERSE! GET OVER IT!!!! ACCEPT IT! Now....can we PLEASE take care of the planet that actually has LIFE!?

Oh yeah "telescopes and whatnot" What was i thinking.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elvis Hendrix

IDK...what were you thinking? Are you thinking NASA is going to find life, on another planet? Do you expect this life source to be found, by the same alphabet organization, that can't even come clean about the moon landing??? I'm all for GOOD science...but all this "space exploration" is a WASTE OF MONEY. Unless we plan on living on another planet, after we destroy this one and make it inhabitable for thousands of years; trying to find "life on another planet" is RIDICULOUS!

All the technology we possess....and we're still stupid! Stupider!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I'd very interested to learn what possible forms of life could exist on this planet. Depending on its age and shift cycle met with climate conditions and gases in its atmosphere, we could see anything from amoebas to creatures that due to the planets mass and higher gravitational pull, could be very large, and very powerful. By our standards, too bad I can't live 500 years, I'd love to see what else they discover. It's way for them to blow more money, but we can't stop them so might as well appreciate what they discover.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BlowinSmoke

"All the technology we possess....and we're still stupid! Stupider!!! "
To that sentence, i couldnt agree more.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

reply to post by heineken

Yes. Liquid water could exist.
If Mars had a thicker atmosphere, liquid water could exist on it.
If Venus' atmosphere were not so thick, it wouldn't be so hot and liquid water could exist on it.

give a little of venus atmosphere to mars and we could have two habitable neighbors.

a man can dream!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elvis Hendrix

IDK...what were you thinking? Are you thinking NASA is going to find life, on another planet? Do you expect this life source to be found, by the same alphabet organization, that can't even come clean about the moon landing??? I'm all for GOOD science...but all this "space exploration" is a WASTE OF MONEY. Unless we plan on living on another planet, after we destroy this one and make it inhabitable for thousands of years; trying to find "life on another planet" is RIDICULOUS!

All the technology we possess....and we're still stupid! Stupider!!!

We are living on another planet. Just another planet in our solar system. Lighten up.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Exo planets have been a hobby of mine for some time. There is a fantastic ap for the Ipad that shows orbits etc. Anyway lets remember Kepler was only looking at one small pie piece wedge of the Milky Way. The question that is really bothering me as we discover more and more planets is ...

"Why does the neighborhood seem so quiet?"

I'm really getting the feeling that there is something in the big picture that we are completely missing.
edit on 10-1-2013 by Helmkat because: The

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
Exo planets have been a hobby of mine for some time. There is a fantastic ap for the Ipad that shows orbits etc. Anyway lets remember Kepler was only looking at one small pie piece wedge of the Milky Way. The question that is really bothering me as we discover more and more planets is ...

"Why does the neighborhood seem so quiet?"

I'm really getting the feeling that there is something in big picture that we are completely missing.

A few possibilities

1. Most of the intelligent life in the galaxy hasnt advanced enough to produce technology equal to ours.

2. Alien life doesnt interfere with under-developed species for various reasons such as contagion outbreaks, or because its just too dangerous or troublesome.

3. They use different types of communications technology that our systems cant detect/make sense of.

4. We are simply too far from any well travelled routes or star systems for them to notice or care.

Could very well be many more reasons. Perhaps there are races who have mastered space travel since before humans even existed and because of this they can afford to document the entire history of a species in secret and as such dont interfere as to spoil the results of the experiement.

Who knows. Many of these reasons are not impossible though.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I agree, I always wondered why CETI etc scanned for radio waves. It dosent make any sense unless we were looking for a civilisation that are an axact mirror of ourselves! And that is really far fetched.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BlowinSmoke

If life didn't exist elsewhere we wouldn't be here, we didn't come from nothing, someone or somethiing had to seed us. It could well have come from this new discovered planet, it could be our orignal home and we were just sent here many years ago to colonise earth!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join