It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012: The Hottest Year on Record by far

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I originally posted this in my Dangerous Gas thread about methane levels causing the heating up of our atmosphere; you can check the thread here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But after further review, I thought this deserves its own thread.

Twin Cities news said this morning that 2012 was their hottest year on record with the temps 3.2 above average. The NY Times came out with this story as well that says 2012 was the hottest year on record and it wasn't even close. It shattered the previous record by a full degree, which the story says is usually measured in fractions. Ten of the warmest years on record have happened in the past 15 years. This fits our theory with the hydrogen sulfide and the methane levels on the rise. Methane is building up in the higher levels of our atmosphere and trapping in the infrared waves, which are resulting in a heating up that is causing a lot of problems.

Not Even Close: 2012 Hottest Year on Record

Given that this is the stats for America, and they say its not the hottest year on record for the world...but if you look back on year and the weather all over the globe how can you dispute that the weather is super-charged. Every storm nowadays is either "once in a lifetime," "never-seen before," "haven't seen in decades." Look at extreme flooding in UK, Indian, Vietnam. Look at weather event right now in Middle East. Extreme cold in Russia. Look at Australia over the past few months and right now they are in such an extreme heat wave that the Australian Weather Bureau added colors;

Australia's record-breaking heatwave has sent temperatures soaring, melting road tar and setting off hundreds of wildfires - as well as searing new colors onto weather maps. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology has added dark purple and magenta to its weather forecasting map to represent temperatures of 51 to 54 degrees Celsius (123.8 to 129.2 Fahrenheit), officials said. Temperatures on the map were previously capped at 50 degrees Celsius, represented by the color black.

They added these colors because of the heat they are experiencing right now which are resulting in wildfires 'the worst they've seen in a decade.' Check out this story about a family that clung to a jetty to survive 'Tornados of Fire."

Tornadoes of Fire

Storms just aren't storms anymore...they are extremely super-charged!

Back to the story from the NY Times about the records. Here is another quote about how much temps have risen. This is not your normal global warming. This is an rapid heating.

If that does not sound sufficiently impressive, consider that 34,008 daily high records were set at weather stations across the country, compared with only 6,664 record lows, according to a count maintained by the Weather Channel meteorologist Guy Walton, using federal temperature records. That ratio, which was roughly in balance as recently as the 1970s, has been out of whack for decades as the country has warmed, but never by as much as it was last year.

What's happening in a quick summary: With the undeniable increase in methane, it builds up in the upper atmosphere...long wave infrared enters the atmosphere from the sun and heats up objects on the ground and releases short wave infrared which would normally safely exit our atmosphere, but as methane builds up it is blocking this infrared and holding it in the atmosphere, and thus the extreme heating which is causing strange weather events, an increase in quakes and volcanoes, sky noises, unexplained explosions and sonic booms, an increase in disease because of rise in bacteria feeding on the methane, and a rising threat of hydrogen sulfide poisoning and fires. Well, it's a theory anyways. Whether you believe is up to you, but there's a lot of evidence despite what some may tell you. For more on this theory check out this Dangerous Gas thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
But the Koch brothers told me the world wasn't warming....

You mean they lied?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I was just thinking how warm it has been here in Oregon for Jan. I ran across this:
www.weather.com...
Wonder if 13 will be hotter than 12? It seems to be getting a good start. Hope to get some skiing in though.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
We've had quite the unusually warm winter here so far in my part of Texas. I was actually out in shorts and sandles up to 2-3 weeks ago. Doing my part to be as ridiculous as possible to gain attention towards something that is obviously out of the norm around here for this time of the year.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
But the Koch brothers told me the world wasn't warming....

You mean they lied?

Shhh, people here feel more comfortable picking on al gore. They can't take that kinda cognitive dissonance.

Let them continue in their slumber. They're only human.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am not saying your thread is incorrect but I thought I might as well throw this link into the mix and see what it stirs up.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Yup, anyone who payed at least even the slightest attention to the many many climate scientists, ecologist, environmentalist and so on shouldn't be the least bit surprised this now taking place. The public was given a fair warning and we ignored it. Now, nothing to do but sit back and watch collective human society uselessly flail about when global calamity comes knocking. This will be a interesting century in terms of climate.

On a side note:

I noticed the lack of response to this forum and I find it both sad, revealing and depressingly expecting. Tell people a country may or may not have a nuclear weapon and people will mobilize into action. Tell people a Mayan Apocalypse or aliens are coming---and people will mobilize. Tell people they're being duped by the government and banks and people may not mobilize, but they sure as hell will at least discuss it. Tell people their collective actions are going to destroy the very thing that sustains their society and all the previously mentioned things---and little to no response. Oh well, life if funny.

-Ghoster
edit on 9-1-2013 by theghoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
I am not saying your thread is incorrect but I thought I might as well throw this link into the mix and see what it stirs up.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Regards, Iwinder

I think this is BS! For one if we were facing a catastrophic extinction level event with methane gas levels rising, I don't think they would tell us. They'd cover it up, but the frequency and intensity of events in recent months has me convinced. Just check out the quake watch 2013 thread right now and see how many small quakes are rocking all over. Sure, the big ones are remaining the same and this is what the skeptics will argue, but check out the incredible rapid increase in quakes under 4.5 - Check out this page from USGS and scroll down to the graph that shows statistics on worldwide quakes.

Worldwide Earthquake Statistics

Notice below the graph how it clearly states in the fine print that the USGS stopped tracking quakes below 4.5 on Jan. 1, 2009 outside the U.S. and then on the graph you'll see how it dramatically drops from 13,000 to 6,000 but then over the next couple of years the rate climbs back up - remember now, the new rate is only for the U.S. and not the world. So the current U.S. rate is on par with what used to be the worldwide rate just five years ago.

edit on 9-1-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by theghoster
Yup, anyone who payed at least even the slightest attention to the many many climate scientists, ecologist, environmentalist and so on shouldn't be the least bit surprised this now taking place. The public was given a fair warning and we ignored it. Now, nothing to do but sit back and watch collective human society uselessly flail about when global calamity comes knocking. This will be a interesting century in terms of climate.

On a side note:

I noticed the lack of response to this forum and I find it both sad, revealing and depressingly expecting. Tell people a country may or may not have a nuclear weapon and people will mobilize into action. Tell people a Mayan Apocalypse or aliens are coming---and people will mobilize. Tell people they're being duped by the government and banks and people may not mobilize, but they sure as hell will at least discuss it. Tell people their collective actions are going to destroy the very thing that sustains their society and all the previously mentioned things---and little to no response. Oh well, life if funny.

-Ghoster

How right you are

It's called fear. This is just another doom and gloom thread and because I try to bring this to people's attention I'm a fearmongerer!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
records you mean like this??:

Or just our last 100 years?
edit on 10-1-2013 by IgnorantSquare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Nice. So it's due to get just a bit hotter, then drop down to being colder, as the graph suggests it has time and again.

Nothing to worry about.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   

edit on 10-1-2013 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

Well we will definitely see some changes but it is not something 'earth' hasn't experienced yet.
It reminds me of BSG "all has happened before and all will happen again"

But what is striking in the graphs 1&2 is that the last 15000 years or so it seems stable
graph 3 show how stable we perceive it, its only stable the bigger scheme, but ultimately it gives big changes in environment

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
So NOW it is methane is it?....What happened to.....The Greenhouse Effect, Ozone Depletion, Too Much CO2...now its the F.requent A.tmospheric R.ectal T.urbulenceS.

Well, in the 1970s, they said Population control should be initiated or the then 3.5 billion people, will blow out to ????.
But Im not Sure if they took into account the Frequent Atmospheric Rectal TurbulenceS.

Well your in the Northern Hemisphere....blame the 1.3 billion Chinese and 1.2 billion Indians....

Theres a lot of methane where they come from...they even have to wear masks!!!.

BTW Australia is NOT in a devistating Country wide killer heatwave.......In fact where I am, the Summer is mild... currently around 30c, yesterday was around 28c, tomorrow will be 35c and the W/E back to mid 20s and showers......
This is a mild NORMAL Summer.......often we have a week over 35c.....we still may, that is normal.

The "Temperature" claimed above, would be because of the bushfires....as In the bushfires......It actually rained a little in some bushfire areas yesterday.
This is Normal in Australia...EVERY Summer there are bushfires, in fact the Better the Winter, the More ground cover there is to burn........
And our Frequent Atmospheric Rectal TurbulenceS are Miniscule, compared to the rest of the World...Not to mention the Billions of trees we have producing Oxygen.

Also the top 2/5ths of the country is tropical to semi tropical.....you dont get heatwaves in the tropics in Summer...you get rain, and more rain...and a max of about 32-34c.
Dont Panic.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
So NOW it is methane is it?....What happened to.....The Greenhouse Effect, Ozone Depletion, Too Much CO2...now its the F.requent A.tmospheric R.ectal T.urbulenceS.

Well, in the 1970s, they said Population control should be initiated or the then 3.5 billion people, will blow out to ????.
But Im not Sure if they took into account the Frequent Atmospheric Rectal TurbulenceS.

Well your in the Northern Hemisphere....blame the 1.3 billion Chinese and 1.2 billion Indians....

Theres a lot of methane where they come from...they even have to wear masks!!!.

BTW Australia is NOT in a devistating Country wide killer heatwave.......In fact where I am, the Summer is mild... currently around 30c, yesterday was around 28c, tomorrow will be 35c and the W/E back to mid 20s and showers......
This is a mild NORMAL Summer.......often we have a week over 35c.....we still may, that is normal.

The "Temperature" claimed above, would be because of the bushfires....as In the bushfires......It actually rained a little in some bushfire areas yesterday.
This is Normal in Australia...EVERY Summer there are bushfires, in fact the Better the Winter, the More ground cover there is to burn........
And our Frequent Atmospheric Rectal TurbulenceS are Miniscule, compared to the rest of the World...Not to mention the Billions of trees we have producing Oxygen.

Also the top 2/5ths of the country is tropical to semi tropical.....you dont get heatwaves in the tropics in Summer...you get rain, and more rain...and a max of about 32-34c.
Dont Panic.

What do you think methane is? It has a greenhouse effect 25x that of CO2 and its causing ozone depletion. And yes, I agree there is a problem with China and India but one of their largest sources of methane is the rice paddies and the warmer the atmosphere, the more moist and warm the paddies which causes even more methane release.

About your weather...I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's all normal. Why don't you tell your meteorologists that:

Australia's record-breaking heatwave has sent temperatures soaring, melting road tar and setting off hundreds of wildfires - as well as searing new colors onto weather maps. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology has added dark purple and magenta to its weather forecasting map to represent temperatures of 51 to 54 degrees Celsius (123.8 to 129.2 Fahrenheit), officials said. Temperatures on the map were previously capped at 50 degrees Celsius, represented by the color black.

I realize that heatwaves, forest fires, droughts and storms are all normal events in all parts of the world. It's the super-charged frequency of these events in just the past few months alone that I am trying to point out. I'm not panicing, I'm just not going to bury my head in the sand.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSquare

The global warming fear mongers always ignore those stats. This is cyclic and we are on the verge of global cooling temperatures. Star for you my friend.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by disfugured
reply to post by IgnorantSquare

The global warming fear mongers always ignore those stats. This is cyclic and we are on the verge of global cooling temperatures. Star for you my friend.

I'd just like to point out that I'm a far-right conservative and you'll see that if you look at some of my past posts and threads. I'm anti-Obama and anti-liberal thinking, which is what I've always thought about global warming. I've never been a supporter of the climate change debate and I never bought into the CO2 argument. I drive an SUV! This is different. After a whole lot of research about methane and hydrogen sulfide in our atmosphere and the multiple ways that these gases can be released, I woke up to the dangers that we face. Methane is 25x more potent to the atmosphere than carbon dioxide and you can't deny the news headlines about the amount of this gas leaking all over the place; fracking, natural leaks in the ocean, permafrost, rice paddies, livestock just to name a few. There are many more.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by disfugured

well its a bit more complicated then that. There is a trigger needed in those schemes and maybe now we are the trigger. If we are what would happen with our input and that of a natural trigger (like a huge volcano Krakatau like) it would be much more rapid.

Even so if we are the trigger or not, it would mean we can expect some big changes and being a species that widespread and that demanding of our surroundings it would be harsh. one should talk to someone who has his life studied on those kind of schemes, I... well I'm just interested but not educated enough to say what it is about exactly.

About the methane, we know there are methane deposits on the ocean floor that will be released above a certain temperature, we could trigger that. Rainforest and deadwood gradually exposes its stored methane, we just cut and burn it all, so we release it. It is worth thinking about as a specie.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

You should come to the UK friend, 2012 was one cold wet year and it still is

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
And warmest winter, too, I hope. At least down here. Temperatures are going to be in the mid-70s over the next week.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join