It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK risks 'turning inwards' over EU referendum - US official

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The Obama administration has publicly expressed concern about the impact of a UK referendum on its future relationship with the EU.
Philip Gordon, a senior official in the US State Department, said it was in America's interests to see a "strong British voice within the EU".
"Referendums have often turned countries inwards," he added.
The comments come as David Cameron prepares to make a major speech later this month on future European policy.
In response, No 10 said: "The US wants an outward-looking EU with Britain in it, and so do we."
The prime minister is facing pressure to hold a referendum on Europe at some stage during the next Parliament and has said the Conservatives will offer voters "real change" and "real choice" on the UK's position in Europe at the next election - scheduled for 2015.

bbc.co.uk

The US has its sacred 2nd ammendment cow and this is the UK's..

The vast majority of the population of the UK want an in/out referendum on the EU.. Most of us detest it.. Including myself.. We did not vote for this in its current form and powers have been virtually stripped from us bit by bit ever since we opted for the common market... Trade in fact is all we voted for.. We did not vote for this attack on our soveriegnty nor for the £40 million that we are forced to give these faceless, corrupt institutions every single day..
The EU is a millstone around our necks we can do without.. These unelected crooks dictate everything.. From our courts.. To farms.. To fishing.. Alongside robbing us daily.. The continental countries hate us.. We have nothing in comon with them.. I would prefer a treaty with all of the English speaking nations on Earth rather than these clowns..

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I don't mind certain parts of European integration such as ease of travel but lets get tell those kraut empire builders where to go

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Im still pissed they bombed my nan....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The Americans have as much say in this as we do on them carrying guns.

Can we all now start telling them to butt out of our business, as they've told us on guns?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

I wondered when someone would say that lol..

Yeah.. Stfu.. Lets get a petition going to deport this guy..

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Can we all now start telling them to butt out of our business, as they've told us on guns?

The people who are in your business in America are the same people who are trying to take our guns.. Average Americans just want to be left alone..

I think the EU should be no more. But I'm not in it, so I don't really have a say nor will I tell you guys what to think.
It would be nice if everyone got off our nuts too though. We Are Not Our Government.
edit on 1/9/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Point taken... But in our case we have to subsidise French white flag factories.. How fair is that??

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

I agree if a country wants to give up their sovereignty and become part of the NWO collective officially .... If a country wants to be an isolationist then shouldn't the UK give the EU the old push off treatment .....

It is your choice ... but it has already been made for you ....... and they did not consult you....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
reply to post by khimbar

I wondered when someone would say that lol..

Yeah.. Stfu.. Lets get a petition going to deport this guy..

not until you take Piers back ......

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

No thanks.. He is yours now... No sale or return.. You may keep him with our compliments good sir..

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I caught this on ITV earlier on and it got my attention.
He was saying we had a 'special relationship' with the US and Europe's an important allie

We value a strong European Union and we also value a strong UK voice within the European Union; a voice that is essential and critical for the United States

Then went on to say;

We're not in the business of telling countries what to do with Foreign Polic

I don't like the whole USA wanting Britain to be its voice in the EU, its got the whole used feeling to it.

Linky: www.itv.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
OK I'm an ugly American and don't have a right to an opinion about what the folks in the UK do politically.
HOWEVER - if the government of the USA wants something, it's probably NOT in the best interests of the citizens in the UK and my opinion is that you should have your referendum and take appropriate action.
You guys have a commonwealth as well as a union so really what do you need the EU for?

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I will vote for out, lets concentrate on the Commonwealth we have closer ties with the people of the commonwealth and lets give each country an equal say in things, 2.1 billion people live in Commonwealth countries all around the world.
If you are in a Commonwealth country would you go for this?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
reply to post by Maxatoria

Im still pissed they bombed my nan....

Bombed my chippy too
(Well me Grandads )
edit on 9-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
As a Brit, I can safely say that I do not give a stuff about what we do diplomatically if it isn't good for the American people.

The crux of the issues is yes, leaving the EU will make it harder for us Brits but staying in it will lead to us losing our soverignty and our diplomacy, to un-elected beaurocrats in Brussels who will slowly turn us into a Police State.

The referendum must happen as most Brits want out and we never voted in for this in the first place. And if so I will hapily go to war with Europe if it becomes the only way to keep Britain, British.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Plus how many times have we been at war with one of the European countries? they have always tried to take over so sod em, They hate us because they can't beat us and some hate us because we helped save them.
Commonwealth all the way

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Plus how many times have we been at war with one of the European countries? they have always tried to take over so sod em, They hate us because they can't beat us and some hate us because we helped save them.
Commonwealth all the way

They hate us when we are in the EU and hated us when we weren't in it the Eurovision song contest shows it all

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by christafinias

When we leave Europe and decide to invade our Apache copters can blast this out at them

Still love it when they rip the skirts off lol (play from 1:30)
edit on 9-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join