It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The illegal gun market and what banning guns will actually accomplish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I know another gun thread in ATS again right! Yea sorry but I wanted to come at this whole gun issue from a different perspective that being what would be the result of a gun ban here in the united states besides 1776 style rebellion lol.
#1 if guns got banned and people are forced to give up arms what will happen to them? Will they be destroyed?
#2 what effect will it have on the black market for guns? flooding the market with cheap guns or making them skyrocket in price?
#3 will it stop gun related deaths that are not accidents?
#4 if a criminal is caught with a gun will it make it more or less likely to end in bloodshed "shootout"

This is a question to Pro gun and anti gun people.

My opinion is a gun ban would result in a huge black market of guns lifted off the American public. They money they receive will fund secret wars just like the coc aine trafficking in the 70 and 80's for the united states. since guns will be illegal only very rich criminal organizations will get their hands on them, in effect it will make it so these organizations will be able to destroy any other raising criminal organizations. the police will still kill people holding knifes ect robbery,home invasions, beatings will skyrocket,

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

#1 if guns got banned and people are forced to give up arms what will happen to them? Will they be destroyed?

They'll destroy some. Use others. Others still will find their way back onto the streets. Cops are already busted funneling seized arms and other contraband onto the streets for profits. The bigger the confiscation the more holes it will have.

#2 what effect will it have on the black market for guns? flooding the market with cheap guns or making them skyrocket in price?

Same as the drugs market. Somethings will jump way up while others seen as disposable and "community owned" will become dirt cheap. Some reports from the black market put full auto AK's at a mere hundreds of dollars while to own a full auto AK legally now would run you tens of thousands.

#3 will it stop gun related deaths that are not accidents?

Potentially reduce them since not every Joe Blow will have one around.

#4 if a criminal is caught with a gun will it make it more or less likely to end in bloodshed "shootout"

Depends on the penalty. Right now use of a gun in commission of a crime gets you a +10 minimum on top of the base sentence for the crime.

If being caught with a gun meant 25+ it would most certainly result in shootout.

Think of capitol punishment applied to rape. Now what incentive does a sicko have to not kill your kid once the rape is done?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

The US government can't even properly complete a census survey, what makes you think they could even pretend to begin removing all guns from civilians. That said... no one, anywhere, has suggested a total gun ban, that's a phantom spread by nuts like AJ. Stricter control and regulation of certain weapons is what I'm reading about, and seeing on the news...

but a total ban?

Well, you've just disarmed the public, and told every gun carrying criminal "have at them". As well, if you raise the penalties to something equal to life in prison, you will cause more deaths.

As I explained to a coworker:

Lets say they ban guns, well, the criminals aren't going to just hand them over, and they'll know you are disarmed, so robbing you is a crime with very little risk.

Lets say EVERYONE has a gun and a CC permit. Now that stoned kid who is still gonna mug you has gone from a quick painless mugging, to a potentially life and death situation.

how do you think that will play out?

A total ban will be an epic fail. Doing nothing at all will be as well.

It's time, sorry gun lovers, it's time t re-asses some of this, i personally don't think you have the right to walk into a walmart and purchase an assault rifle, I just can't comprehend how that's a "right"

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

A couple of thoughts, trying to keep in line with your thread topic:

1. Effect on prices. Prices will go up dramatically. Just look at the price of standard-capacity AR15 magazines with just the discussion of more gun control laws. What was a $10 commodity item a couple months ago is now rare and expensive. That is, if you can even find them in stock.

2. This is how gun confiscation might work. Door-to-door raids by armed forces are not likely, except in extreme cases, and then will only be used as a last resort. Demonization of gun owners will continue to be employed and even escalated. Laws will be passed to compel "voluntary compliance". This reader lays it out very logically:

Survival Blog

When a law is passed making it illegal for banks to engage in any transaction with suspected gun owners, what will you do? Shoot a teller when your account is closed and your funds confiscated? Your mortgage called? How about when they assess a fine of, say, $250,000 and require employers to garnish all wages until the fine is paid. You going to shoot someone in HR for complying with the law? What about when Child Protective Services abducts your kids right out of their public school? Your kids go to school one day, then, poof, they're gone. You want them back - no problem - turn in your guns. Electricity turned off at your house? Yup, new law enacted.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I think your questions have been answered pretty clearly. Banning and confiscating guns will be paramount to prohibition and the direct rise of the Mafia. The guns will always be there, also I think that States, that are pro-gun, will ignore the federal mandate. This issue, coupled with, all the other problems this country has, is just one more reason to spiral into revolution. I don't forsee that, but all governments end, just how and what replaces them is the challenge.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
What will it do? Think of this.....fully auto weapons are already highly regulated....but the gangs have them. They are comming in with the drugs....and the law....well.. shall we say has been pissing into that storm for years.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

That said... no one, anywhere, has suggested a total gun ban, that's a phantom spread by nuts like AJ.

I'm sorry, but that's exactly what Dianne Feinstein has repeatedly proposed from as far back as 1995.
ban all guns

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Gun Values will go up....look at the history of drugs.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There is no way you can really ban guns for criminals, US or anywhere else. So my belief - yes, it would reduce evens like the mass shootings , however on a larger scale, it will totally unable people to defend themselves at home. Therefore barning guns would be nothing but good news for the criminal side.

Sure you will still have the gang violence, done with guns or swords or kitchen knifes. In addition to this issue, probably hiding a illegal gun under your bed and using it if you are attached inside your house, would put you to prison for the rest of your life.

Also, another thing to be kept in mind : reduction of budget deficit, would actually decrease the number of people employed to maintain order (a ready insufficient), plus the chance to see more inmates freed due to lack of money to keep them in the jail. So , it looks quite grim.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
seems to be for every anti gun legislation they try to come up with the pro gun states come up with legislation of their own www.foxnews.com... for example this is really setting up a huge division between the states that are pro gun and those that aren't and i dont see this going any place good if they continue bringing up this legislation that is terrifyingly strict and that wont accomplish anything there will be a reaction and it will most likely be by the crazier fringe elements of our society at first.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It would create another Mafia organization just like Prohibition did. Building the number of prisons that would be needed would further bankrupt America. It would divide America even more to the point of Civil War. If they really want guns banned they should work on making it safer for law abiding citizens. Like rounding gangs up. Like securing our borders, etc. When America feels safe they will feel no real need to own a gun for protection. Obviously they are not going the common sense route.

top topics

join