It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Did Google Earth Spot in the Chinese Desert? Even an Ex-CIA Analyst Isn’t Sure

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm always fascinated by the things people can find using publicly available satellite maps. I remember finding some weird stuff in Antartica and posting it before.

The Cords: 39.6 N, 76.1 E

But here's another. An ex CIA analyst found something on Google Maps that even he doesn't know what it might be. But it's big!

linky

Late last month, former CIA analyst Allen Thomson was clicking through a space news website when he noticed a story about a new orbital tracking site being built near the small city of Kashgar in southwestern China. Curious, he went to Google Earth to find it. He poked around for a while, with no luck. Then he came across something kind of weird.

Could we be witnessing the birth of China's own AREA 51? Probably nothing so cool or interesting. But you never know. Why would they need buildings so huge?

edit on 9-1-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Interesting find. I wonder what is up with the blue buildings?

I am guessing it is some kind of testing facility as well, it is nicely nestled up to those mountains.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Seems to be some Above Top Secret installation. Maybe a nuclear missile site or some sort of big complex of some kind. The amount of residences around there isn't high enough to be a factory site. The only way to get stuff out seems to be by air. It may have a military airfield there, but I can't see any planes.

+24 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Somewhere in China there is someone being yelled at for buying the wrong color paint for the roof.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Forget what's inside those buildings, what's inside the ground around this complex. Looks like there may be some entrances leading into them.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Doesn't China have hidden/buried pyramids the govt has a pact with ET's to kept unaccessible.

Like Bosnia's pyramids - one being the largest in all the earth?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
What He said

Could it be the rare earth mine?
justsayin....China has the only one worth mentioning ........

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Maybe China is making there own chemtrails now?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Im leaning towards the chinese area 51 idea myself. Well, either that, or the start of a very poorly placed walmart.....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Thanks grey for posting. I too find these type of finds interesting. I did a little check about Kashgar, China on its western border. Here is a nice little clip about its heritage (sort of a crossroads of Asia with neighboring countries such as Pakistan)

At the 2:30 mark, it begins to describe China's ever dominant influence in the area and how they are building up with new apts, and demolishing the old ancient culture. Also picked up on the fact that 30% of China's oil reserves are in this general area.

With the buid up of newer installations, city projects, shopping malls, it gives you the sense of the influx of maybe a government project underway and then you have all the new supporting infrastructure being built around it for the workers and support systems. Just conjecture, but China is sure expending a lot of money and influence in this area.

As far as the photo, very interesting, I don't see long runways per se, so not sure if it is airport, maybe it's an oil refining center.

Thanks, ID

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

Late last month, former CIA analyst Allen Thomson was clicking through a space news website when he noticed a story about a new orbital tracking site being built near the small city of Kashgar in southwestern China. Curious, he went to Google Earth to find it. He poked around for a while, with no luck. Then he came across something kind of weird.

Whenever I see stories like this and read a "CIA analyst" was involved then see images of a "Secretive site" the red flag goes off and here's why.

How do we know we aren't being manipulated or used by the CIA here?

Meaning, Say the CIA spots something new and secretive in China and they want to let China know that we know what they're up to but don't want to come right out and call them on it.

So...

They release stories like this to the press and plaster the images all over God's good Earth exposing this now not so secretive facility in China as everybody goes "Oooh and Aaah' over what it might or could be and in the process blowing it's cover?

Couple of pennies there for you to chew on people.
edit on 9-1-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Anything is possible.
Though the guy is a former analyst and it seems this is his hobby of finding odd things on google maps.

Though something to mull over for sure.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

At first glance the foremost thought in my mind is that it looks like something right out of the movie 2012.

Some of those roads lead into the cliff face suggesting tunnels.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Fair enough

Another thing to consider is that the bulk of China's Nuclear arsenal is supposedly buried deep in a huge underground bunker/tunnel complex/network. we could just be seeing the tip of the iceberg so to speak...

China's nuclear arsenal could be up to FORTY times bigger than thought

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I did a little more digging just to understand the culture of the area, and especially China's rather large build-up since at least 2010:

Beijing is pouring billions of dollars into a city which it designated as a special economic zone back in 2010 - one of only half a dozen such zones in the country. The authorities want to transform Kashgar into the transport hub of old - opening up markets in Central Asia and beyond.

"The opportunities here are priceless," says Zhang Yunjian, a spokesman for Gangzhou New City project in Kashgar. "That's why you see so many investors coming to the city to start businesses."

Currently the largest construction project underway in Kashgar, the development is will house 100,000 people and have a shopping complex along with recreational facilities.

An interest read here
Also from a cultural background it has a very diverse history. But the more recent attention given by China as stated above, would indicate they really are investing quite a bit in this out-lying area. Obviously, China has a lot of financial resources as evidenced by the number of building projects all around China and even some ghost towns in Africa.

Historical Info of the Area

Cheers! ID

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ItDepends

An economic free zone of sorts.
Those could be transfer buildings for truck cargo.
time will tell.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Military build up installations preparing for War = DUH

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The Chinese are batty for building things in remote places that they don't need.

Case in point: their "ghost" cities -- massive developments, whole cities, that aren't used. See: And Now Presenting: Amazing Satellite Images Of The Ghost Cities Of China

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
whereabouts is this? I've looked around the coords given in the OP but can't find it...
I'm using Flash Earth instead of Google.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Am i allowed to post my own here?
I have shadows cast by what i only can describe as a castle on antarctica. Or a sun on the seafloor, and the rest

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join