It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube forces users to link their account to gmail

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
WOW - Look at all the people sticking up for google

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

Amazing how many of you are willing to let them track and link every single aspect of your life.

What's amazing is how many people think they can demand something for nothing. You enjoy a free service, the only requirement is that you link those accounts, for ad revenue and tracking purposes.

Google makes money by selling your internet habits to others. If you paid them a montly subscription for the service, you'd have a gripe. In this instance, you are just upset that you lost something, that you really had no right to in the first place.

I'm not for tracking anybody's habits on the internet. I'm for a free, open and anon internet sure, but only in spaces where I've paid to have that right. If a company is willing to allow people to use their service at no cost by agreeing to work for them ( as in the tracking of your internet activity) then I see no problem.

You agreed when you started using the service. You can disagree, by stopping. But don't act like it's their fault.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

As I stated I don't want people using my gmail to track down my youtube account. I don't want my comments to be googled up. People could learn a lot about your politics, and personal life by following your youtube account.

You almost sound like you work for youtube, lol.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
WOW - Look at all the people sticking up for google

Why not stick up for Google?

They provide tons of free services that make my life easier and better.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite

As I stated I don't want people using my gmail to track down my youtube account. I don't want my comments to be googled up. People could learn a lot about your politics, and personal life by following your youtube account.

You almost sound like you work for youtube, lol.

Then don't use them.

They are free services. The services belong to them and they are allowing you to use them. It isn't YOUR youtube acount, it is ultimately Google's. I don't work for them, I am just sick of the pathetic entitlement mentality being displayed.

Again, it is a typical first-world problem mentality... how dare they require YOU to link YOUR PRIVATE accounts? Got a wake-up call for you. Unless it is your server, your technology, your programming, your web hosting, you paying for the bandwidth, you paying for the web developers, you paying for the building to host the servers and you creating the entire thing IT IS NOT YOURS! It is theirs and they are allowing you to use their service for FREE! You should be thanking them instead of complaining how the thing you are getting for free (that you could never provide for yourself) isn't perfect for you and doing things just how you think they should be done. What a selfish, entitled, privlidged attitude. Sickening really...

And for the person who asked how they knew what you viewed to suggest interests? Clear your cache on your browser and it won't happen.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2

Originally posted by EvenParanoidsHaveEnemies

They don't track every aspect of your life unless you link them (optional) and you use their free services.

You sound like you are suffering from some serious first-world problems "My free stuff isn't perfect enough for me!!!"

I didn't link them, so how do they know what subjects I posted about?

Cookies.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Sorry it's not a one way street here. Without users like me they don't exist. I pay out the nose for my cell phone with data plan. I pay for my internet connection etc. So yes, I do pay. There is no such thing as free.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

You do not pay Google for their service, what profit do Google make from your cell phone company? Your happy to pay your cell phone company and they activly log your calls and messages yet you do not complain. Then when Google offers you a free service, you complain when they monitize it by combining your data trends with that of the rest of its users and selling that information to marketers. That is simply the crux of it all.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Sorry it's not a one way street here. Without users like me they don't exist. I pay out the nose for my cell phone with data plan. I pay for my internet connection etc. So yes, I do pay. There is no such thing as free.

Tha'ts right, it's not free, for them.

It's free, for you.

You give google money by using their services, so they can offer those services for free at the user level. But you're right, it costs millions of dollars to run and maintain that vast network.

Google doesn't see a peny of your cell phone data plan payments. Or any other bill you pay to another telecom unless you pay them directly to google.

You aren't the one footing the royalty bill to those artists from Youtube. I could list a million and one things you don't pay for to have access to a multi billion dollar service.

At the end of the day, what you think you 'pay' in no way entitles you do the vast ammount of content provided.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I use an android phone which came with a google platform. I pay dearly every month for that phone. Are you trying to tell me that google doesn't profit? No contracts, no licences, no agreements that are for profit?
edit on 8-1-2013 by MsAphrodite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
You are all just Frogs in a Pot of Water - You know the Story.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Google make the same profit from your Android phone wether you use Youtube with it or not, their Android business is a totally different and irrelevant to your rant about youtube income stream.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Earlier you were the one ranting about how google and youtube are one in the same. Don't tell me that google or youtube are "free."

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Earlier you were the one ranting about how google and youtube are one in the same. Don't tell me that google or youtube are "free."

Google and YouTube are part of the same business stratergy and sector. Android is an operating system not a user driven service. Totally different entities. Youtube isn't free, you agree to their terms and conditions and your service is paid for by the terms set out there. However there is no upfront fee or money changing hands here, so you are using the service by allowing google to profit from your prescence on their website. Your right nothing in this world comes for free.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Google offers their SDK's for free, so you can develop with their technology. Other than that i dont know as far as the OS.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I've been using Google and YouTube for years now.

They're free.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

I use an android phone which came with a google platform. I pay dearly every month for that phone. Are you trying to tell me that google doesn't profit? No contracts, no licences, no agreements that are for profit?
edit on 8-1-2013 by MsAphrodite because: (no reason given)

They don't profit off of you when you make such a purchase.

Android is owned by google, much like windows is owned by Microsoft. Would you request that Microsoft provide a FREE operating system just because you bought a computer?

Ofcourse not. So why would you ask that Google provide a free service because you gave another company 500$.

Actually you probably didn't give them any where near the retail value of the phone. You probably got it on contract, with a subsidy, so Verizon, or AT&T or whoever your telecom is paid Google for any and all fees.

This isn't about profit. This about a service that you aren't entitled to use, without agreeing to the terms they've set out.

That's all I'm trying to say. Google makes money when you use their services for free. That's the whole point of Google.

It's convenience at the cost of privacy. That's what this is. You either agree, or you don't. But don't blame the company for offering something for free and then requesting that you give a little of yourself in return.

I don't use google services, because I don't agree with their philosophy on a variety of different things. I have a gmail account because I do product testing for android and it's a requirement, otherwise, I just don't use their services if I can avoid it.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

You do not pay Google for their service, what profit do Google make from your cell phone company? Your happy to pay your cell phone company and they activly log your calls and messages yet you do not complain. Then when Google offers you a free service, you complain when they monitize it by combining your data trends with that of the rest of its users and selling that information to marketers. That is simply the crux of it all.

It always amazes me when the sheep defend the wolf this way. This is just one small, yet evil, aspect of our culture and society, and If they defend this kind of behaviour they will go fo just about anything.

These guys or girls would gladly wear the brown shirt.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I am probably one of the least conspiracy-minded people on this site, or any site for that matter; but some of these comments strike me as incredibly naive or worse.

Its purpose is "ease of use" only?
First of all, what does that even mean? Was it somehow difficult to log in before?
And why gmail accounts only?

Second, how do you explain their childishly transparent summons to change your "complicated" user name to something everyone will recognize.... like your real name?
"Ease of use" again?
I am sure it is! But "use" of whom, by whom - that's the question.

Anyway, OP, this is not new; I noticed it about a year and a half ago.
I immediately dissociated my email from YouTube and do not log in anymore. I don't use my real name anyway, but it's a matter of principle.... you know, the thing that Google & Co. are hoping will become obsolete and maybe derided in the near future?

BTW, I don't use Google either. There are plenty of other options: IxQuick is one of them.

PS.

What's amazing is how many people think they can demand something for nothing. You enjoy a free service, the only requirement is that you link those accounts, for ad revenue

(The underscoring is mine.)

By definition, "revenue" and "free" do not belong in the same sentence.

And second, there is a thing called "principles". Having them and abiding by them.... THAT is freedom.

edit on 8-1-2013 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join