It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here are some high resolution mosaics and panoramas from the Curiosity rover on Mars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

The drill marks are better visible in this MAHLI frame: mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

It was a percussion test, and the rock turned out to be weak and prone to cracking, so they decided to find another location. You get more details at www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Here's my version of the self portrait (I haven't posted it anywhere else besides my FB page). Cleaning the dust off the lens was a real pain. It took over 2 1/2 hours. But it's really nice, if I don't say so myself. But yikes - I thought my computer was going to blow up. Full resolution:

gigapan.com...

Small preview:

And a MAHLI collage - celebrating 180 days on Mars. Full resolution:

i.imgbox.com...

edit on 2/6/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
A panoramic anaglyph from Sol 173 is available on Photosynth (how do I upload an image to GigaPan?), here. Silverlight needed.

Here's a smaller version.

(click for full size)

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

It looks really interesting. How would I see it as it's meant to be seen. I don't know what Silverlight is. Do 3D glasses work? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Photosynth uses Silverlight, a plugin for the browsers, like Flash. To see a page that uses Silverlight you have to download and install the SIlverlight plugin, like we have to do with Flash player to see pages with Flash.

Yes, you need one of those red/blue glasses to see the 3D effect. The image I posted (the larger version, click the image to see it) is good enough to get a 3D effect.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
The best way I thought it could all be done is to upload the huge images to the GigaPan site - that's my thing.
You can fullscreen, pan around, and zoom in and out very easily.

Hey, just wanted to thank you again for all those efforts you put into stitching together the MSL material!

You know I've been using those pano's quite often and they already helped me a lot in getting a good overview of Yellowknife Bay, Point Lake etc.! I'm already looking forward to the next updates (perhaps Sols 184 / 186?) ... the images I saw on the MSL site today were very promising!!

In any case, thanks again for that and keep up the good work!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow, this one has to be seen to be believed. Andrew Bodrov created this full 360-degree panorama using Curiosity's images (including the recent self-portrait) and some simulated sky and the Sun.

www.360cities.net...

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
A fresh 360-degree panorama from Curiosity! This one is taken using the left Navcam on Sol 223 (March 23rd), and assembled by Airbag at UMSF forums: www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

Here's my attempt at assembling this panorama: photosynth.net...
edit on 24-3-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
A fresh 360-degree panorama from Curiosity! This one is taken using the left Navcam on Sol 223 (March 23rd), and assembled by Airbag at UMSF forums: www.unmannedspaceflight.com...

edit on 24-3-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

Thanks for coming back to this thread to post the new views and pans. This is a good repository thread for yellowknife bay pans in particular. This thread be stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Here's the "Day of the Glitch", as I call it. Sol 200:

i.imgbox.com...

edit on 3/24/2013 by impaired because: Oops - Embedded a ginormous image into the thread!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

This is my attempt, with the panorama made with Microsoft's ICE.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Very good. Arken and the others will have a good day with this pic, lots of strange lizards and Hugo's and other buggers with oddly cut rocks in this one. Thanks for bringing this here too!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
That one's a real tricky one!!! Nice job, guys.

I'm starting to appreciate PhotoSynth for what it is.

But I'm still sticking with PTGui. You guys got the NavCams. I'll stick to WHAT I THINK I'm good at.

edit on 3/24/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Originally posted by ArMaP

Very good. Arken and the others will have a good day with this pic, lots of strange lizards and Hugo's and other buggers with oddly cut rocks in this one. Thanks for bringing this here too!

Hey Aliester. What up?

If Arken finds creatures in NavCam images and pushes it, I'm going to cry. He refuses to look at things in 3D.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Things going well, and for you too I hope. What happened to your avatar? I tossed this one up after I held the paw of a dying white buffalo and she told me to "Cut my skin off and wear it." I said "Sure" and it'll be warm in winter but in the summer I'll have to cut some air holes.

In checking out the newest pans I see lots and lots of rocks with major cracks, some of them right through the rock, others not but quite plentiful. What's up with all the cracks? Is that a result of ice freezing and unfreezing, or of something which occurred when yellowknife was under water. I know that you know, which is why I'm asking. Yes, the 3-D comes in handy, I don't have the right glasses though, just the ones they hand out at the movies and foolishly leave containers out to put them into when you leave - hoping against hope you just don't keep them, and when the next 3-D feature comes along save lots of money by pretending to go into another film but walking into the one you came to see in the first place. Hugo. No, not the Mars thing, but the movie. Hugo is the best 3-D I've seen so far (although that one with Angelina Jolie rising from the middle of a lake was a close second and even better in parts.)

edit on 24-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Oh, Hugo is awesome - no doubt. I'm just not convinced it's anything alive, and I agree that they should have checked it out. They're still in the same area, so it isn't over yet...

And the 3D anaglyph glasses are only $3 online. It's worth it - trust me. Things look WAY different. You would never guess the topography is what it is until you see it in 3D. I was blown away!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I must get those glasses. I must get those...(written 100 times on an imaginary blackboard)

And look at that.....after months of wear and tear and work and sweat....this thread got its 16th flag!!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   
"But first, let me take a #selfie"

Curiosity just took another self-portrait using its MAHLI camera on the end of a robotic arm, on Sol 613 (27 April 2014).

Interactive version: photosynth.net...

Didn't expect to see so much dust on the rover!

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Too late to edit my post, but here's a much better version of the interactive selfie: photosynth.net...

It's better aligned to the horizon, and now you can also swing the view to see in front of the rover.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

That is a better version.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join