It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here are some high resolution mosaics and panoramas from the Curiosity rover on Mars

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Don't like Photosynth.

Here's another Gigapan of some MAHLI images and mosaics from Sol 158:

gigapan.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Is it not about 30 MB? I'm all ears.

This one is a 152MB panorama, but I uploaded it directly from Microsoft ICE.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
That's the thing, you need to construct the panorama in Microsoft ICE if you want it to appear as a real panorama in Photosynth, otherwise it appears as a flat image, a "synth".

Each to their own. Although not everybody will want to make panoramas in Photosynth, I'll appreciate if people at least use it to view the panoramas I created. It's really easy to pan around using just the mouse. Click and drag to pan whichever way, and use mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

For example, here's the view from Curiosity's "self-portrait", but swung around to look down at the front left wheel and slightly forward of the rover:

I like it how the wheel impinged on a small sand dune and caused the upper crust to crumble and slide down.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Nah, I don't like Microsoft ICE. The program I use has much better control - for ME.

So that's that. No Microsoft ICE for me. I actually use 2 different programs to make mosaics and panoramas - depending on which program does it better. Sometimes I use both on the same image. Still - I need control over my projections (I mean real control).

Regardless, I don't want to change my workflow. It seems to be fine the way it is, and when 360 degree images come out, there's always 360citiesnet.

edit on 1/16/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I actually use 2 different programs to make mosaics and panoramas - depending on which program does it better. Sometimes I use both on the same image.

Are they free?

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

I actually use 2 different programs to make mosaics and panoramas - depending on which program does it better. Sometimes I use both on the same image.

Are they free?

Nope. They are not. I saved for one and the other I bought from a friend (Photoshop) for basically pennies because he bought it (rich boy) and couldn't learn it. So I said, "Hey... About that Photoshop!".

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
But, ArMap - the other program I use (PTGui) is a lot like Hugin, or vice verse (I think, actually, that Hugin is a lot like PTGui), but from what I understand, Hugin is WAY more powerful, and it's free.

But it's really really tricky to use (for me).

Some people ace the hell out of it (Hugin), some are completely lost with it (like myself).

But try Hugin.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

But it's really really tricky to use (for me).

Some people ace the hell out of it (Hugin), some are completely lost with it (like myself).

But try Hugin.

I already did, and I am one of those that are lost with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
You folks are going to like this one.
Sol 164 - MastCam 100 of the "mud-looking" area:

GigaPan link:

gigapan.com...

Small preview:

Awesome!
edit on 1/22/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Nice, I'm going right back to enjoy it. I recently joined gigapan (and found a Young Abe Lincoln underneath the right eyebrow of Abe Lincoln on Mount Rushmore, and did a thread about it) and, looking at their Mars Rover gigapans, saw that most of them are by impaired!!! You are doing a great service, OP, one that not even anyone directly connected to the rover mission is doing. A big thanks for your work.
edit on 22-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Nice, I'm gong right back to enjoy it. I recently joined gigapan (and found a Young Abe Lincoln underneath the right eyebrow of Abe Lincoln on Mount Rushmore, and did a thread about it) and, looking at their Mars Rover gigapans, saw that most of them are by impaired!!! You are doing a great service, OP, one that not even anyone directly connected to the rover mission is doing. A big thanks for your work.

Thanks - yeah. I guess NASA has more important stuff to do than to release mosaics regularly... ...

I will definitely check out that Rushmore Gigapan thread and mosaic.
Thanks for the heads-up. That sounds interesting.

But back to that last GigaPan - It's up there with one of my favorites (the images themselves - or image in this case). I thought those ripples were of the dust/dirt on the ground. But I think the entire thing is a rock!

Shows how much I know!

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I took pics of a mouse hole, a ridge, and a white-rock infested area. Cool, here's the Abe Lincoln thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

my attempt to start an urban legend ("There is so a tiny picture of a Young Abe Lincoln on Mount Rushmore!" "Where is it?" "In his right eye lobe, where else?")

edit on 22-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
impaired found a stone-skull on this newest one. I kept trying to leave a comment on it but it kept kicking me off, so: "You've found the crying monkey skull! Look, it's crying from its right eye, and there's a dribble of something coming out of its mouth. Alert CNN and FOX!"

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

impaired found a stone-skull on this newest one. I kept trying to leave a comment on it but it kept kicking me off, so: "You've found the crying monkey skull! Look, it's crying from its right eye, and there's a dribble of something coming out of its mouth. Alert CNN and FOX!"

I was joking. It appears to have been broken off of the adjacent rock.

I wasn't hoping for this thread to turn into that. And I didn't find anything.

Are you just playing around?
edit on 1/22/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Of course I'm playing. Anyone looking at it would know it's not a monkey skull, but a Grey skull. OK, I won't play on this thread (/goes into the backyard of the thread, plays, comes back in and turns serious/)

With the white rocks very obvious in your newest gigapan, and Phage's thread focused on the white rocks, is it possible or likely that the entirety of Yellowknife Bay is white rock? It seems everytime the dust is knocked off there is white underneath (and I'm still amazed at the scarcity of dust blown onto the rocks after tens of millions of years). This new gigapan just adds to that question.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Of course I'm playing. Anyone looking at it would know it's not a monkey skull, but a Grey skull. OK, I won't play on this thread (/goes into the backyard of the thread, plays, comes back in and turns serious/)

With the white rocks very obvious in your newest gigapan, and Phage's thread focused on the white rocks, is it possible or likely that the entirety of Yellowknife Bay is white rock? It seems everytime the dust is knocked off there is white underneath (and I'm still amazed at the scarcity of dust blown onto the rocks after tens of millions of years). This new gigapan just adds to that question.

Ok, I was just checking.

I mean, it CAN look like a monkey skull or something... ...But we know it most definitely isn't.

About the rocks - yeah, right? It seems every rock the rover wheel smashed is a nice clean white inside. I know nothing about Geology, but I just find the color of the white so interesting - assuming that the whole thing (rock/rocks) are white with just a coating of orange Martian dust.

So odd...

posted on Jan, 26 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
This amazing 360-degree panorama was taken yesterday (Sol 168) by the rover's left Navcam. You can see the entire Yellowknife bay.

Full-res image: www.pictureshack.us...
Photosynth panorama: photosynth.net...

I really suggest viewing that Photosynth panorama, it looks impressive.
I wish it was in colour, though.
edit on 26-1-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The panorama posted above has now been completed with the missing images and the view of Mt Sharp (from Sol 169)

Large image: www.pictureshack.us...
Photosynth panorama: photosynth.net...

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Today (Sol 177) Curiosity took another self-portrait, using the MAHLI camera on the end of its robotic arm. In front of the rover, you can see the drilling marks it left after testing the drill.

An excellent mosaic assembled by James Sorenson: Link

And here's my interactive panorama in Photosynth, make sure to check it out!
photosynth.net...
edit on 4-2-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
Today (Sol 177) Curiosity took another self-portrait, using the MAHLI camera on the end of its robotic arm. In front of the rover, you can see the drilling marks it left after testing the drill.

An excellent mosaic assembled by James Sorenson: Link

And here's my interactive panorama in Photosynth, make sure to check it out!
photosynth.net...

Thanks, I really like your Photosynth rendition. It's interesting to scan the Rover and see how many wires and gadgets are just sitting out in the open where any Martian lizard can jump up and start chewing. I actually couldn't see the drilling marks - has Curiosity already done it's test drill? It was going to be a very small drill, just to see if the drill bit could be removed from the hole without getting stuck. If I'm correct there wasn't going to be a chemical analysis of the first bore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join