It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here are some high resolution mosaics and panoramas from the Curiosity rover on Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Something I've never understood, and maybe you or someone can answer this, is Mars has sandstorms. They've been caught on camera, they are known to exist, and the rover Oppurtunity was pretty well covered with dust not too long ago (I think some of that has blown off). Wouldn't the sandstorms have covered most of these rocks, after supposedly million and hundreds of millions of years? Why can we still easily see what seems to be top-layer surface rocks with just a minimal layer of dust on them? I know there is no vegetable matter to make soil, and thus have that blown around, or no constant climatical weather erosion, so is it just that when the sandstorms blow for millions of years they just move the dust off of every surface and deposit in on another, and then the next storm moves that dust to yet another thinly covered surface, and so on?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
reply to post by wildespace

Something I've never understood, and maybe you or someone can answer this, is Mars has sandstorms. They've been caught on camera, they are known to exist, and the rover Oppurtunity was pretty well covered with dust not too long ago (I think some of that has blown off). Wouldn't the sandstorms have covered most of these rocks, after supposedly million and hundreds of millions of years? Why can we still easily see what seems to be top-layer surface rocks with just a minimal layer of dust on them? I know there is no vegetable matter to make soil, and thus have that blown around, or no constant climatical weather erosion, so is it just that when the sandstorms blow for millions of years they just move the dust off of every surface and deposit in on another, and then the next storm moves that dust to yet another thinly covered surface, and so on?

Hi, it's a very good question. I'm no expert on geology and weather, but I'm pretty sure that wind constantly moves the dust around. There are seasons on Mars, so there are also changing winds and temperatures. A lot of dust is constantly suspended in the air (which makes the sky and everything else look kinda orange/light-brown).

The wind and dust also cause erosion, you can see some eroded rocks in Curiosity images.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Way Cool! Thanks for setting this up so that I could take a walk around Mars!

This is a cool picture!

This one looks like Martian math!

Really fun!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Here's Yellowknife Bay reprojected. You can make out the "Bowl" of the bay. I wish the rover was aimed more towards the bay than behind, but hopefully we will get one of directly in the middle. Now that would be something. But this works!

gigapan.com...

Small preview:

Really makes a difference projecting it this way!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Thanks for the new pic, yet even more to explore thanks to your work. I again want to bump this thread until people really start to take notice of the data here. Soon I'll put on my dust goggles and dive into this baby.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Thanks for the new pic, yet even more to explore thanks to your work. I again want to bump this thread until people really start to take notice of the data here. Soon I'll put on my dust goggles and dive into this baby.

I don't understand why no one else cares either. People have been wanting and waiting to see this stuff. And NASA is slow with their releases and they don't even release (officially or even unofficially) panoramas often. Well, here they are.
And there are more people doing this. I guess I'm just trying to spread it more.

Here's a mosaic of two MastCam 34 images from Sol 152. It looks like we have another panorama on the way! I merged them and got this. Sharpened about 50% and cropped only a slight bit:

i.imgbox.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

It's not that people don't care, but the recent changes moves by so quick sometimes that they miss it. I've seen some great threads which end with only three or four responses (I've actually subscribed to some of those). So I consider myself a lucky dog to be riding this one with you, and darn if I'm not determined to keep bumping it every so often to give other people the chance to play. Looking at and moving along Mars is a very nice thing to do when I have some time, and yours is some of the best stuff I've seen. bump a dee bump bump.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Impaired - I can't thank you enough; I'm fascinated (particularly) with Mars and what you've done here is sure making my 4-5 days, immobile from multiple sclerosis symptoms and infusions of Solumedrol, not just tolerable but enjoyable! So don't ever wonder if anyone really appreciates the hard work you put in, I for one sure do.. Russ

ETA: Now get busy and see if you can locate that methane source

edit on 11-1-2013 by TroubadoursGA because: Request

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Hey, all I see is sand and rocks and flowers. Where did all the Martians go, huh, answer me that. They should be posing in front of the camera by this time, making faces and the little boy martians pulling the little girl martians' hair. I should report this thread as a hoax, because of the martians not being there. bump a dee bump bump.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Hey, all I see is sand and rocks and flowers. Where did all the Martians go, huh, answer me that. They should be posing in front of the camera by this time, making faces and the little boy martians pulling the little girl martians' hair. I should report this thread as a hoax, because of the martians not being there. bump a dee bump bump.

Here, man:

Sol 152 MastCam 100 quick and incomplete mosaic (rest of the images aren't in yet):

Facing South - SSW:

i.imgbox.com...

Good one, Aleister!

I wish you the best, Russ, and I'm glad this is making the time go by fast for you.

edit on 1/11/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is an awesome thread!

Thanks for putting in the effort with these images!
This thread should be getting a lot of attention!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Is this a tiny Luke Skywalker?

A rectangular "post card" under a rock, or is where little Luke stashed his flying carpet?

Luke! Look out for that fat snake!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Those are some of the best "Martian thing" finds I've seen! A postcard, a snake, a toy Luke Skywalker. And yes, as a user said, this thread should be getting a lot more attention. I feel like, well, yeah, I'll put up a thread talking about this thread. Yeah. Luke Skywalker!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well, I've put up a thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

advocating that people come to this thread. But what will probably happen is that thread, too, will be lost in all the recent changes over the gun debate, UFO's which all turn out to be sticks and cardboard, and the great threads on Vitamin C (I'm one of the advocates for those too). But I will now wander back onto Mars, deep in the heart of Yellowknife.

A serious question, I can see the mountain in the background, and you've got some pretty good close-ups of it when zoomed in on. When will the rover began to drive onto the foothills? Thanks.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

A serious question, I can see the mountain in the background, and you've got some pretty good close-ups of it when zoomed in on. When will the rover began to drive onto the foothills? Thanks.

I think I read somewhere that it will take several months.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hey ArMap. Thanks for stopping by. I was hoping you'd show up.

Folks, here's another Gigapan. The images just came down a few minutes ago - Sol 153, MastCam 100, second sequence:

gigapan.com...

And holy snap - those MAHLI images are coming in. I need to see this. Check out the GigaPan, I'll be back with the MAHLI's soon.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Hey ArMap. Thanks for stopping by. I was hoping you'd show up.

Folks, here's another Gigapan. The images just came down a few minutes ago - Sol 153, MastCam 100, second sequence:

gigapan.com...

And holy snap - those MAHLI images are coming in. I need to see this. Check out the GigaPan, I'll be back with the MAHLI's soon.

There are some amazing-looking rocks there! Photosynth panorama: photosynth.net...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Great work, I see my pet Platypus has been found....He's in the gigpan that I'm replying to.

About those Mahli's...Interesting encapsulation of some sort of white material. They are definitely fossils. Not of living things..But I think those structures will tell us a story frozen in time.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Incredible raw images from the best camera on the rover - MAHLI. From Sol 153, but just arrived on Earth:

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Incredible!
It really looks like Gold! No joke, no lie, no conspiracy slant! But who knows IF it is? Sure does look interesting, though.

Edit - Using Occam's Razor, I'm thinking it's really white but since the color on Mars is different, perhaps it's just an optical illusion? Where's Phage when you need him?

edit on 1/11/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Haha - I appreciate it. A thread about a thread. It' like Threadception.

Thanks. But I'm really interested in these raw MAHLI shots. Incredible - probably the best ones yet (IMO)!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join