It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

So why did you reply to me? lol

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley
I couldn't care less about the matter, except it would mean more pointless deaths of military personnel and more gov spending....which already dwarfs the gov's pathetic attempts to bring it under control with the current streamlining.

And for what?

Because 2 or 3000 toffs living on some poxy island - smaller than Northern Ireland - in the middle of the South Atlantic want to remain British?

Ok, come and live in Britain.

Seems to me there's more 'British' living around the world than in Britain.

We're already taxed to death in this country - no more crazyass military adventures please, Cameron.

Unless you want to fund it from your own pocket.

Toffs? Quite a few of them are sheep farmers or fishermen. I hardly think that this classifies them as being toffs.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If we give the Falklands to the Argentinians we should also give Britain to the Russians.

This hatred of the current government is getting very tiresome, as Labour was so much worse and nobody said a damn thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Well, judging from the number of brand spanking new 4x4s I've seen over there.....

They must be pulling in a bob or two with that sheep farming, eh?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

Tool of the trade mate, you gotta have a decent 4x4 to farm in places like that, plus they will get a tax break on it seeing they need it to work.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

You obviously know nothing about what the Falklands mean to us. I'm not happy about the Afghan war or the Iraq war but I'm patriotic when it comes to the Falklands. My family lived there for a few years and the are British. Not Argentinian. The Argentinians have no claim to them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I did not want to be rude,

Also I wished to point out to anyone that may have missed it that you like things that kill people.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The thing that makes me angry is how we (as the UK nation) are answerable to the world because of this war mongering ass hat.
I've seen posts already saying that England makes certain posters sick... this isn't our fault, blame the Man, not the people the Man treads upon.
He is relying on us to do his dirty work, just as any person in power relies on the army of his country, and then he will pay nothing but lip service for the deed once it's done. HE won't fight. He will rely on the little people, the people he has no contact with.
If HE wants a war, he should go off and fight it by himself.

As for the Falklands... The British Empire is all but done. I don't care if no-one or everyone agrees with me. That's my opinion. We hold very little of what we used to call the British Empire, and just because these little islands happen to have... surprise surprise, the black gold. It should be down to the people of the Falklands to decide, not some man sitting thousands of miles away.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CJCrawley
reply to post by AngryCymraeg

Well, judging from the number of brand spanking new 4x4s I've seen over there.....

They must be pulling in a bob or two with that sheep farming, eh?

Have you ever looked up what the terrain is like on the Falklands? Mud, peat bogs and rocky outcrops. A 4x4 would be quite handy.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I would happily fight to defend anyone who wants to be british, but I do not like Camoron he's a liar and a joke. Personally I think the Argintinians might have a pop at the Falklands but they would not do it alone as they know they would not stand much of a chance on a 1 v 1 with our navy and airforce... even if they done a sly move on us.

Off topic

How do you feel about the loyalists in Ireland at the moment? they are british and they are making a right noise atm about the rights to bear the flag.

N ireland is a colony too in my eyes, lands taken from the real irish people but they are British and some of our own

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gangdumstyle

Argentina was offered a stake in the oil and they refused and it British not English

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

I cannot help but notice this escalating since those surveys found loads of the "black gold" around the Falklands

North sea Mk 2?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So far I've only read the first three pages, but felt compelled to comment.

I've seen some awful posting this weekend but I'm absolutely astounded at the level of ignorance displayed by a couple of posters in the first three pages of this thread. Simply astounded!

British soldiers attacking, raping, murdering British women and children while they were liberating them? Thats hogwash. Show us the victims, show us the paper trail of there lives, deaths, and rapes.

There's a much greater case say to hand back Hawaii to the natives than there is to give The Falklands away to Argentina.

The current residents of The Falklands are the native population of the islands. It's up to them to decide and they've repeatedly stated they want to remain British. The wishes of the native population are paramount and if they voted to break away from the UK we would not stop them.

Yes the waters of this conflict are muddied by the oil assets surrounding these islands but that is secondary and Argentina is also guilty of coveting those resources.

It should also be remembered that in the December prior to the conflict Thatcher was in talks with Argentina and willing to compromise over sovereignty. The proposed invasion was openly discussed and news of it hit UK shores 3 weeks in advance of it. Thatcher did nothing. She could have acted immediately and possibly even made the Argies reconsidered the invasion. But by then she'd realised her only hope of re-election was to sit back, let the invasion happen and only after that make task force preparations. I remember this because it was when I first woke up. After many many arguments I realised how naive my working class tory parents were. Thatcher could have saved lives, but she chose to win an election instead.

To the poster who thinks life wouldn't change much for islanders under Argentinian rule, what a crock. There'd be a government sponsored ethnic cleansing and eventually every native islander would flee.

And to the poster who thinks the majority of Brits don't support the Islanders wish to remain British, what on earth is going on in your mind that you can be so spectacularly ignorant and wrong?
edit on 6-1-2013 by merkins because: Typos

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by splitfamiliar

Whatever dude, the Falklands are ours.

link   
reply to post by RAY1990

I feel If I comment on the NI issue I will derail my own thread
but I agree with you on this topic

link   
reply to post by ParaSpy2012

I think we both need to check our facts, I'm doing it right now and it's quite interesting.

I also feel the need to point out that claiming I don't understand in a derogatory manner will debase your point even though it is actually valid.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The European Union classes the islands as an overseas country or territory of the UK, subject to EU law in some areas, and eligible for some European funding initiatives.[79] The inclusion of the islands in an appendix to the proposed European Constitution provoked a hostile Argentine response.[80] Its mention is retained in an annex to the treaty replacing the abandoned Constitution, the Treaty of Lisbon.

Fair enough, but again I'm not being funny but none of those links mention that other EU members would have to come to the aid of the UK if the Falklands were invaded.

NATO technically yes, but the EU no.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I did find it the other day (bloody treaties are very long winded) I will get back to you with the document. (little busy at the moment)

edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VraxUK

I think the British people are bored of seeing mild-mannered global politics.

Erm....speak for yourself. It might actually benefit us to have some mild-mannered politics for once.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Falklands are British.

Just like Gibraltar is british

Oh dear look at how unhappy they are to be British

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join