It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameron: Britain would fight another war with Argentina to keep the Falkland Islands

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ANDERSON23

+1 to the real British people on this thread

I'm a "real British person" whatever that is....which I suspect you think is somebody who agrees with everything you say.

We're all entitled to our opinions.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Ughhh some people!

To the posters who think we should hand over soverign territory to Argentina..

Please.... Just stfu... It aint happening..

Ever..

Though we welcome people to come try taking them..

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

That is a good point but I think the Argentinians still remember that we beat them last time and they will not want to go through that again, plus I do not think they have the means too, it would be suicide.

www.nationmaster.com...

After looking at that...they have no chance....alone anyhow.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Guys lets calm down again we are all Brits
go and make a cuppa, we are all allowed different opinions and If we all just agreed it wouldn't be fun debating the issue.

Ahh thats better now none of us are experts on this subject except me and If you disagree with me your tea privileges will be cut down to 10 cups per day
(joke to lighten the mood eh )

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I'm cool. Don't get married to the biccies please.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Well said, I'll be honest in that I disagree with you but I still gave you a couple of stars when you were right although I didn't enjoy doing so.

I'm off now as I foresee this going all gung ho, all real Brits enjoy giving it to johnny foreigner every now and again it's what makes us GREAT!

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Do you really think we were over there to fight for a minority of people who claim to be British?

I can promise you, most us Brits do not consider those people far away across the sea as British - far from it.

A minority ? 99% is a minority now is it?

As for your second line, you're talking out of your arse. Everyone I know is 100% behind defending them.

Actually I'm pretty good friends with an older Scottish gentleman who was posted to Faulklands -
If you consider sending a trained proffesional army over to a distant island to slaughter women and children fighting for their indepenace a GOOD cause, you are very much mistaken.

When re-counting his exsperiences the grown man, broke down and cried in the pub - he said it altered everything about him.

A few alternate history books may change your opinion also.

And they are not "our" people - WTF have we got in common?!

Now I know you're just talking crap.... Everything you just said above is a bare faced lie.

How did we send an army to "slaughter women and children fighting for independence? Jesus man, what are you smoking? Do you know anything about the Falklands at all?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Welcome Stu
and yes I got mad at the nonsense that person wrote.
Slaughtered women and children....to my knowledge there was 3 civ deaths, granted it was friendly fire (a shell hit their home) but I bet those poor people wanted us to be there.
edit on 6-1-2013 by boymonkey74 because: bloody dyslexia

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I mean from people who are actually British and respect and know their heritage and have an understanding of the climate it was back then and the same it would be this time round

and everyone does have a right to an opinion but they also need to consider the people involved when expressing their own opinion

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Seems I missed quite a bit of the party...

It is getting a bit boring though doing this every few months when that god awful woman opens her mouth and talks crap about the Falklands, which then leads to even more gad-awful idiots talking crap on ATS. This thread is a shining example of the total lack of ignorance denial that happens around these parts lately.

3 Civilian deaths in the last conflict and everyone there wanted the British forces to liberate them. They had a referendum in the 70's, 80's and are having another this year over the status and their are overwhelmingly in support of remaining British. I don't care what Cameron says, but those people are British and I'd defend them as much as someone from my own town.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Well said I think you and me followed by millions who would defend fellow Brits from invaders.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
OK kids ... play nice. Peoples rights don't really add up to a hill of beans when we look at who's armed forces are where in the world today. The magicians tricks of the NWO have once again dazzled the crowds while the real illusion takes place behind them. Look how easily one of these threads turns into "my dad can beat up your dad " scenarios. You really got to ask yourself "why this and why now ?" Heads of states - mostly puppets controlled by shadow corporations worldwide. Social cuts everywhere while corporations enjoy major tax breaks. False flag war mongers starting fires worldwide. Destabilization of national economies in order to to create civil unrest. Our leaders cannot balance their countries books because they have whored us out to these elite bastards. This war is not about Argentinian or British rights in sovereignty of these islands. It IS about the oil that is there ... and lets face the facts ... whom ever wins loses, because the peoples of either country will lose that beneficial revenue to the same oil companies. They do not give a flyin' crap about those rocks ,,, just what's under them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
First, since this is a thread about the Falklands, I figured this was appropriate.

Also, doing a bit of research on the Falklands War...it seems the only reason why the Falklands happened about was that the Argentine junta wanted to be popular again, and thus wanted to claim the Falklands/Malvinas, as per gaining back "lost" territory.

In the period leading up to the war, and especially following the transfer of power between military dictators General Jorge Rafael Videla and General Roberto Eduardo Viola in late-March 1981, Argentina had been in the midst of a devastating economic crisis and large-scale civil unrest against the military junta that had been governing the country since 1976.[11] In December 1981 there was a further change in the Argentine military regime bringing to office a new junta headed by General Leopoldo Galtieri (acting president), Brigadier Basilio Lami Dozo and Admiral Jorge Anaya. Anaya was the main architect and supporter of a military solution for the long-standing claim over the islands,[12] calculating that the United Kingdom would never respond militarily

And I don't know where that one poster was getting at that women and children died (though I trust your poor military friend for his service to his country), the wiki specifically states that only 3 Islanders died during the whole conflict, the rest being 649 Argentine soldiers to the 255 British soldiers.

Sauce

I understand there is reason to be pissed at Argentina over this...In my American way of thinking, it would be like Mexico trying to claim Puerto Rico.

Good analogy?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Serious question.

Do you think the Falkland Islands are a colony ?

I do. More than half the population landed there in the last ten years. They've got a governor and a pretty 'tarded representative council, all their governmental systems are implanted from UK. They use their own pound as a currency, although it's pegged 100% to the British currency. It looks like Britain, they talk like Brits.

That means it's a colony, surely ?? And that the Argentine President is actually correct when she says that ?

And are the Brits prepared to defend their other bits of colonial crapola around the globe ? St Helena ? Turks & Caicos ? Montserrat ? Pitcairn Islands ? Anguilla ?

Or will Cameron and their little navy only defend places with predominately white faces ?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Actually I'm pretty good friends with an older Scottish gentleman who was posted to Faulklands -
If you consider sending a trained proffesional army over to a distant island to slaughter women and children fighting for their indepenace a GOOD cause, you are very much mistaken.

When re-counting his exsperiences the grown man, broke down and cried in the pub - he said it altered everything about him.

A few alternate history books may change your opinion also.

And they are not "our" people - WTF have we got in common?!

Sorry, but this is total rubbish. The Falklanders were fighting for their independance? Women and children being killed by British troops? Yeah, right! Total honk.

We were fighting to free them from a bunch of mass-murdering facists.
edit on 6-1-2013 by AngryCymraeg because: Typo

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

To be fair, I think the majority here have denied ignorance and know damn well that The Falkland Islands are British.

The nay sayers evidently know nothing about the Falklands so their point is moot.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Thanks for your post, you hit the nail on the head fella

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I don't think anyone would dispute that they are British because they are, it says so in lots of places, It's more a question of what should be done to avoid the problems that arise when governments use real people in popularity games.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthernThird

I would say yes, if anyone thinks they have balls, try it.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Although I opposed the war in Iraq, wanted us out from Afghanistan years ago, I will fully & happily support any war against Argentinean aggression on the people of the Falklands. You cannot go around invading peoples territory (i.e. where the majority of people hate you) and expect there to be peace. The same applies to Spain over Gibraltar, or any other country that would like to invade a territory where the people living there are both presently British, and where the majority wish to remain this way.
I don't care what the human or financial costs may be, I will firmly support the fight until the angels save us all. Period.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join