It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the myth of the zero carbon footprint

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Ive heard that term- "zero carbon footprint"- many times but it finally occurred to me just how impossible that is:

exhaling produces CARBON dioxide....
our very bodies are carbon-based so when we die, carbon results from decomposition....
all solar panels, electrical wiring, wind generators, electric cars and so on require gas, oil, mining and processing of ores....

how can one person ever possibly have a 0-C footprint? it seems an impossible goal and a setup for failure.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
carbon isnt a bad thing the earth needs it if there was no carbon that would be a bad thing.. it just doesn't need so much or atleast if we would stop cutting down all the trees then that would at least be a good start to helping things...

We make carbon
trees eat carbon
we breath oxygen
trees make oxygen

no trees
no people
no people
no polution

So either we can solve the problems or they will solve themselves on their own, the only problem is we wont be around anymore to enjoy it.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've always taken it as more of a figure of speech and an ideal. Not a true "goal".

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

We exhale carbon dioxide. Plants produce carbon dioxide.

Carbon is an essential building block of all life.

Regulating carbon, carbon credits, is really the final piece in controlling, regulating and eventually destroying life.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by IamOutThere

thats the only thing that makes sense to me.

in Islam they say that the Christian ideal of "loving like God" is impossible and even foolish. I wonder if someday the line between zero-C metaphor and actual attainable goal would be blurred to profit somebody somewhere.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by IandEye

We exhale carbon dioxide. Plants produce carbon dioxide.

Carbon is an essential building block of all life.

Regulating carbon, carbon credits, is really the final piece in controlling, regulating and eventually destroying life.

thats my point of the OP. the arrogance of "controlling the uncontrollable". maybe we're being ruled by silicone-based organisms with utter disdain for the element carbon......lol from my experience, carbon is very useful when composting nitrogen and without it, we'd have no nature.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think some people just like using the phrase "Carbon footprint". It sounds kind of cool, like Bushmaster. Vetting is another one people like to use.

I like to use indicative. =) I know it doesn't help discussion but I think it's true.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IandEye

You can have a zero carbon footprint. Very few people do: It would mean living a very simple life, and planting a lot of trees that would not have otherwise grown.

new topics

top topics

join