It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cholesterol pill; ask questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
My wife and I go to a private medical clinic. We live 5 minutes outside of Montreal, where we are supposed to have access to the public system we pay for through our taxes. However, there's only one public clinic here and they don't take on new patients. A few years ago, the government introduced private clinics and they've been growing like crazy. But that's a topic for another time, I'm just trying to set the background.

As clients of this clinic, one of us is entitled to a free physical (just one of us, only once). My wife asked me to go since I hadn't seen a doctor in a long, long time. I humoured her and went.

The exam is supposed to last one and a half hours. It lasted all of 25 minutes, because I stalled the doctor with questions. Family background: one cancer -throat-, officially caused by smoking, but my uncle's doctor attributed it in reality to the 3+ cases of beer my uncle drank every day. No heart diseases. My dad had a triple bypass 15 years ago. But you have to understand that as a kid his daily breakfast was toast spread with bacon fat. When he left the air force, he worked as a butcher, hard physical work. But he weighed 195 lb for his 5' 3"... Once he retired, he stopped his physical activities and that's when he started having problems. So his problem was due to lifestyle, not to a bad heart.

I also told the doctor that I was against Big Pharma and not to prescribe any pills for me and to put that in my file.

He asked me to get a full blood test, since he didn't know me. I thought that was not a bad idea.

A couple of weeks go by and I get a call from the clinic for the results. Not from the doctor, but from the receptionist. I have nothing against receptionists, I fully understand these people do more work in an office than anybody else and generally know more about the goings-on. But the receptionist is not a doctor, nor even a nurse, so she should not be deciphering my medical results.

First thing she says is that I need to go by the clinic to pick up a prescription for a cholesterol pill. I immediately said "No". The line went dead for about 10 seconds. I don't think anyone ever said no to her before... Then she said, "well, it's your right". My right! Of course it's my right. She then proceeded to analyse the rest of the results. Everything is fine. Just what I expected. Then she took on a triumphant tone and said: "Here's why the doctor prescribed the cholesterol pill; your cholesterol level is fine, but your blood sugar level is slightly elevated and with your family history, it means you're at high risk of having a heart attack at any time!".

So my blood sugar level is slightly elevated? No questions as to why. When you take these samples, here at least, they ask you to not eat or drink for at least 12 hours prior to the test. I'm a musician. I go to bed around 3 and wake up around 9. Which means that I was having a snack at around 1 or 2 am and downed that with a couple of cups of coffee, double-sugar. So my blood sugar level is only slightly elevated compared to someone who hasn't eaten or drank in 12 hours? That's good news to me! And my dad's bypass puts me at risk of a heart attack??? Where do they dream this up?

Again, I said no pill. She said that if I refused to take the pill, I would have to make drastic lifestyle changes. First I'd have to quit smoking. I have my opinion on this which you can find here. I do not wish to discuss this matter further in this particular thread. Next, she says I have to completely change my eating habits. I asked her if that meant that I had to start eating at McDonald's... She said, "no, you have to avoid places like that". I explained that we have a huge garden where we grow most of our stuff and we get the rest at a farmer's market. Meat is only high-grade, no drugs, etc. My wife and I transform our food ourselves. I don't eat at McDonald's and other places like that. Ever. And we don't buy processed food except for cheese.

"Oh, OK, she says, that's good. But you need to exercise." I replied that my paying job is bathtub reglazing. It's physical work with lots of heavy equipment to haul. She said "Oh, then you're doing fine. Continue like that. But we'll keep the prescription on file because you should really take it."

So next time your doctor prescribes a pill, ask questions!

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
my mother was prescribed statins and shes went from being healthy to a frail wreck within 4 weeks memory loss angry over the littlest things,i could go on...... were they statins thy were trying to push?

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

Good for you! Im a critical care Registered Nurse. I see a lot of patients prescribed medications with little to none justification. Patients take too many medications these days. Be your own patient advocate. Ask questions! P.S. stop smoking...lol

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Read this thread about statins and the horror stories from the posters who were suckered into taking them:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The fact that your doctor said that you had "slightly elevated" blood sugar, which would require statins to keep you from having a heart attack is maybe one of the more outrageous things I've heard from the medical establishment.

If the test wasn't a "fasting" blood sugar test, then it is bunk, as blood sugar obviously rises and falls depending on when you ate, what you ate, etc. But you indicated that you knew this already.

Basically, you went in for a check-up and they looked for any excuse to push you onto a seriously nasty drug. Who the heck are they working for, you or Big Pharma??

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
As a guy who was formerly extremely large ( 300 lbs ) and dealing with high cholesterol ... the best option you have is to eliminate the best you can, sugars from your diet.. that has a profound effect on your appetite in general... especially things containing high fructose corn syrup... which is pretty much anything you buy from a drive thru .. and much of what you get from stores.. you have to watch the labels..

I promise you .. if you deal with that first and foremost.. it will make a HUGE change in your life.... I did .. I'm now 180lbs ..
edit on 1/4/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
you need good Cholesterol too statins don't know the difference they destroy it all.
have a peek at this link link

its like chopping you're leg's off because you might stub a toe, me thinks thy should be banned
edit on 4-1-2013 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"slightly elevated" blood sugar,

Did they do a A1C test. this is the number one test for blood sugar. no fasting required and gives a mean blood sugar level for about the last 3 months.

Anything above 6 (prediabetic with MS)with the body signs of metabolic syndrome(MS) or 7(diabetic) means its time for treatment.with Metforman. Not a statin?

Since your cholesterol in in the normal range you don't seam to have metabolic syndrome as the cholesterol levels are one of the first to rise with metabolic syndrome.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 4-1-2013 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

"Here's why the doctor prescribed the cholesterol pill; your cholesterol level is fine, but your blood sugar level is slightly elevated and with your family history, it means you're at high risk of having a heart attack at any time!".

Yep. That's doctors these days.
My husband went in, same thing- elevated blood sugar. But with him, they put him on blood pressure pills, even though his blood pressure was fine -110 over 70. But he was a heavy man, so they thought they decided to take care of all risks. Then he started getting dizzy, and it could have been low sugar OR low blood pressure.
They put him on statins as well :shk:

It doesn't make sense to treat for that which you don't have, because there's a totally different problem!

He stopped taking the statins and blood pressure pills, because they were treating something he didn't have, and making other problems instead.
A few dietary smarter eating choices are easy, that should be the first thing to try

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
As a guy who was formerly extremely large ( 300 lbs ) and dealing with high cholesterol ... the best option you have is to eliminate the best you can, sugars from your diet.. that has a profound effect on your appetite in general... especially things containing high fructose corn syrup... which is pretty much anything you buy from a drive thru .. and much of what you get from stores.. you have to watch the labels..

I promise you .. if you deal with that first and foremost.. it will make a HUGE change in your life.... I did .. I'm now 180lbs ..
edit on 1/4/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

Congratulations! It must feel good. I don't know you, but I'm happy for you anyway!

I agree about the sugars. I use only non-bleached sugar. After a trip to Cuba, I realized Cubans don't even know what white sugar is. Plus the non-bleached actually tastes much better. Also use unbleached salt, unbleached and un-enriched flower. No sucrose or corn syrup either.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

"Here's why the doctor prescribed the cholesterol pill; your cholesterol level is fine, but your blood sugar level is slightly elevated and with your family history, it means you're at high risk of having a heart attack at any time!".

Yep. That's doctors these days.
My husband went in, same thing- elevated blood sugar. But with him, they put him on blood pressure pills, even though his blood pressure was fine -110 over 70. But he was a heavy man, so they thought they decided to take care of all risks. Then he started getting dizzy, and it could have been low sugar OR low blood pressure.
They put him on statins as well :shk:

It doesn't make sense to treat for that which you don't have, because there's a totally different problem!

He stopped taking the statins and blood pressure pills, because they were treating something he didn't have, and making other problems instead.
A few dietary smarter eating choices are easy, that should be the first thing to try

I hope your husband eventually drops the meds. My mother had knee replacement surgery at 77. They want to do the other knee next (she needed it as she could barely walk anymore). A few months later, her doctor put her on osteoporosis meds. Just in case... Same doctor also prescribed them to my dad. I told my mother that her surgeon wouldn't have operated if she had weak bones. She asked him and he found it funny that someone would prescribe those to her. She quit all the meds her doctor had been prescribing her and she's now healthier than she's ever been. Unfortunately, my dad's a believer in doctors...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The answers are in this 2 hour (sorry) video.

edit on 5/1/2013 by Lucas73 because: added vid

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajmusicmedia
First thing she says is that I need to go by the clinic to pick up a prescription for a cholesterol pill. I immediately said "No". The line went dead for about 10 seconds. I don't think anyone ever said no to her before... Then she said, "well, it's your right". My right! Of course it's my right. She then proceeded to analyse the rest of the results. Everything is fine. Just what I expected. Then she took on a triumphant tone and said: "Here's why the doctor prescribed the cholesterol pill; your cholesterol level is fine, but your blood sugar level is slightly elevated and with your family history, it means you're at high risk of having a heart attack at any time!".

They tried the same crap with me when my mother had a heart attack, except they never saw me. They just told her that I would need their pills because of "genetics". They didn't even know if the relevant genes were from my mother or father.

Be careful with cholesterol tablets. They're one of those types of drugs they are manufacturing lately that will seriously do you harm if you ever stop taking them.

It's all just a scam to get people under the control of big pharma.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
Basically, you went in for a check-up and they looked for any excuse to push you onto a seriously nasty drug. Who the heck are they working for, you or Big Pharma??

Doctors these days don't want patients leaving without a sale. That's why even if you are perfectly healthy, they will start looking at "family history" as an excuse to sell you something.

It's staggering that so many people don't view big pharma as a corporation motovated by profits, but instead, a friend that cares about them. Sort of makes me wonder whether spells are actually real...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

People are still buying into this farce

Just what is a significant portion of your brain tissue comprised of ... ?

www.cholesterol-and-health.com...

top topics

join