It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge throws party, then hands down life sentence - UPDATE 10/27/04

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
DALLAS, Texas (AP) -- A judge threw a party complete with balloons, streamers and a cake to welcome a former fugitive back to her court -- and sentence him to life in prison.

"You just made my day when I heard you had finally come home," Criminal Courts Judge Faith Johnson told Billy Wayne Williams, who had been convicted in absentia of aggravated assault after he disappeared a year ago. "We're so excited to see you, we're throwing a party for you."

www.cnn.com...

Williams, 53, was accused of choking his girlfriend until she was unconscious. He failed to appear for his trial last November and was not captured until Thursday.

Before he was brought into the courtroom Monday, Johnson directed staff members as they placed balloons and streamers around the courtroom. A colorful cake was decorated with his name.

I wonder who paid for this ????

[edit on 27-10-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Choking a person until they are unconcious gets you life in prison? Is the women fine? Life seems a bit harsh for only a brutal choking. He didn't murder her did he?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
Choking a person until they are unconcious gets you life in prison? Is the women fine? Life seems a bit harsh for only a brutal choking. He didn't murder her did he?

Life with parole, I bet. He'll be out in 10-20, and the judge knows it.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
20 years for choking a girl to near death.....hmm I don't know. Anyways were here to discuss the party not the sentence and I have no comment on the party.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if the judge paid for it out of her own pocket. I doubt it was an elaborate party or anything, just balloons, streamers, and a 20 dollar cake from the grocery store. I'm sure a judge is pullin down enough $$$ to pay for the 4-5 dollars worth of balloons, some streamers and a cake.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
Choking a person until they are unconscious gets you life in prison? Is the women fine? Life seems a bit harsh for only a brutal choking. He didn't murder her did he?

He didn't murder her? You want to reward him for being a incompetent at killing people? If I shot at you and missed, should my punishment be less than if I hit you and killed you?

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Well it was attempted murder and was on the run for a year. I'm sure the judge paid for them herself. Balloons, streamers and a cake would cost about 10 to 20 dollars. I think it is actually pretty funny.

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Hmm, it seems this guy was not so innocent,
from the article,

Williams, 53, who has a criminal record dating to the 1980s, was accused of choking his girlfriend until she passed out. He failed to appear for his trial last November and was captured Thursday at a gas station in suburban Arlington.
This guy got 20 years not just for the choking, but likley for being a repete offender....he's got a 20 year history of criminal acts, and likley qualifies for the "3 strikes your out" law to kick in. Even if those law dont apply, he was at the least a fleeing felon, who jumped bail and ailed to show for his trial....that would increase the penalties in and of itself.

Curme says

If I shot at you and missed, should my punishment be less than if I hit you and killed you?
Ummm yes!!! thats why there is a difference in the way the law recognises levels of murder....firing a weapon and missing (or even hitting non fataly) is different than killing someone.

Now as to the judge throwing a party.....BIG DEAL!!! under the politically correct doctrine...we cant call a criminal acriminal and rub his face in it.
WHY NOT?!
Shame is part of the process of punnishment and i feel that if its removed, then we lose some of the deterance to commiting the crime.
Society has a right to "frown" upon criminals....and if the judge wanted to exemplify this idea, big deal.....she didnt viloate his rights to a fair trial....he had already been convicted in absentia....all this was was a welcome you scumbag celebration, and Im glad the convict didnt like it...he shouldnt...he should have thought about people looking at him in a similar fashion before he choked his girlfriend, and then fled from the law. If he had, mabey he wouldnt need to have this party to remind him of civilized conduct.

He should have eaten some of the cake as its likley the last fresh one he's gonna seefor a while.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
He received life which in Texas when it involves a non capital offense is at least 30 years hard labor before being eligible for a highly unlikely parole not 20.

He was convicted of aggrevated assault not attempted murder.

His sentence was life because he was a convicted murderer and ex con so the sentence was enhanced to a higher degree of felony. He is no stranger to the justice system.

The judge paid for it.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Judge Defends Courtroom Party for Prisoner

The party for Williams troubled some legal experts, and Seana Willing, executive director of Texas' Commission on Judicial Conduct, said the incident may have violated requirements that judges remain impartial and observe proper decorum.

The commission could decide to investigate, she said. Judges found guilty of misconduct face a range of discipline, from a warning to removal from the bench.

Williams was captured last week at a gas station in suburban Arlington. While on the run, he posed as a lawyer and used aliases and disguises, authorities said.

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I wounder if she is up for reelection? Maybe wanting a little publicity showing she is tough on crime?

I think she should have done her job and not sensationalised it.

I can imagine something like this in a Brit court with the judge with his long white hair throwing a party for some basterd convicted and sent to prison for life. Could that be considered British humor

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think it's funny that she did it.... however, probably was not a smart thing to do.

I don't feel she was looking for the publicity in it, I feel that she was just that excited and relieved to have him back in court so that he would have to answer for what he did.

top topics

join