It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Christie: GOP "Shameful" "Disgusting" VIDEO

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Enraged Chris Christie blasts Boehner, House GOP over Sandy aid

WASHINGTON – Enraged over Congress' failure to approve disaster relief for victims of Superstorm Sandy, Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey unloaded Wednesday on House Speaker John A. Boehner and Republican lawmakers in Washington for putting "palace intrigue" ahead of their official responsibilities.

He described Boehner, variously, as selfish, duplicitous and gutless for reversing course at the last minute on Tuesday night and refusing to allow a vote on a $60-billion aid package before the current Congress adjourned.

"Shame on you. Shame on Congress," Christie said at a news conference in Trenton, the state capital. "It's absolutely disgraceful, and I have to tell you, this used to be something that was not political. Disaster relief was something you didn't play games with." But "in this current atmosphere, [it's] a potential piece of bait for the political game. It is why the American people hate Congress."

At another point, he said of Republicans in Congress: "We've got people down there who use the citizens of this country like pawns on a chessboard."

"My party was responsible for this," Christie said, charging "one set of Republicans was trying to prove something to another set," and that Boehner was trying to "prove something. I hope he accomplished it."

www.latimes.com...

This is Chris Christie...He delivered the Keynote Speech at the Republican National Convention! He was conservatives dream candidate, but refused to run!

HOW FAR has the current GOP slipped from the Mainstream when they need to be shamed into doing the right thing and even then fail to get it done????

See Christie unload on the GOP here

edit on 2-1-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
could always ask mtv and the jersey shore lot for some moneys to help with repairs.. or they could just move their show elsewhere that is less crappy now :d oh well.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Have never watched Jersey Shore, but did hear on the news that they have cancelled the show.

I am just stunned at the depths to which the GOP have sank.

Cantor all but promised a vote on it..

“House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer of Maryland told reporters that just before Tuesday evening’s vote on fiscal cliff legislation, Cantor told him that he was ’99.9 percent confident that this bill would be on the floor, and that’s what he wanted.’”

conservativebyte.com...

The GOP is occupied by such an extreme faction that Hurricaine victims are seen as leeches.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Maybe Chris is gonna move to the Dems or perhaps Independant over the next couple of years so he can distance himself from the crumbling GOP.

He's got a relatively good shot if put on a ticket as Pres in the next cycle; especially if he chose clever for running mate and used all that charisma.

Either way, good on him for going against the party line and apologizing for his own partie's misgivings.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Either way, good on him for going against the party line and apologizing for his own partie's misgivings.

~Tenth

Agreed, but I think "misgivings" is the kindest adjective I can think of in this scenario.

It reminds me of when the GOP refused to pass a bill funding medical assistance for 9-11 first responders. They only relented after months of pressure.

On a side note there is talk that Eric Cantor contrived this to embarras Boehner and that Cantor is making a run at Speaker.

Christie inferred as much...

So as to what's gone on, I think you have seen a lot of palace intrigue down there and I think unfortunately folks are putting politics ahead of their responsibilities.

livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com...

Cantor has been gunning for Boehner's job for years now....

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Well Boehner is an innefective leader. He's created a lame duck GOP leadership that's mostly too afraid to go up against Obama long term. They end up caving, not that I disagree, since the GOP legislation they propose is usually UTTER nonsense.

So is most of the DEM stuff too though, but it's far more reasonable in this case.

So yeah, he's probably going to loose his job over this. Pretty crappy way to start a new congress and the White House knew this full well when they started this process.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Well Boehner is an innefective leader. He's created a lame duck GOP leadership that's mostly too afraid to go up against Obama long term. They end up caving, not that I disagree, since the GOP legislation they propose is usually UTTER nonsense.

I agree with Boehner being an ineffective leader, but honestly with the make-up of his caucus, it has been hearding cats...with 30% of them infected with rabbies.

I see the root of the disfunction not in Boehner's ability to lead, but in the profound divisions between TP and more moderate GOP.

If Cantor wins the speakership, I see that worsening, not improving.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
What a load of BS by Christie and those who are trying to politicize Sandy.

Gee I wonder why the bill hasn't passed?

•$2 million to repair damage to the roofs of museums in Washington, D.C., while many in Hurricane Sandy’s path still have no roof over their own heads. •$150 million for fisheries as far away from the storm’s path as Alaska. •$125 million for the Department of Agriculture’s Emergency Watershed Protection program, which helps restore watersheds damaged by wildfires and drought. •$20 million for a nationwide Water Resources Priorities Study. •$15 million for NASA facilities, though NASA itself has called its damage from the hurricane ‘minimal.’ •$50 million in subsidies for tree planting on private properties. •$336 million for taxpayer-supported AMTRAK without any detailed plan for how the money will be spent. •$5.3 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers – more than the Corps’ annual budget – with no statement of priorities about how to spend the money. •$12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies, without identifying a single way to pay for it.

www.politisite.com...

Yeah right Christie first says "its not a right or left issue" then turns about and plays the blame game.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The breakdown and ammount requested is ludicrous I forgot to add. I just like that Christie went against the grain, but the bill is sorta nonsense as you state in your example.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Anyone care to ask why NJ can't prepare a sufficient rainy day/disaster fund for itself for that which it knows odds are will happen? I see him trying to save his own political but here by projecting that on the federal government that which he failed to do and should have been doing at the state level.

He's acting as if this was the first hurricane ever to hit the East coast.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That's how Washington works people would think a bill for Sandy relief would be as simple as allocating funds to go to those vicitims, would be passed rather quickly.

But never letting a good crisis go to waste they add all their little pet projects.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

reply to post by neo96

The breakdown and ammount requested is ludicrous I forgot to add. I just like that Christie went against the grain, but the bill is sorta nonsense as you state in your example.

~Tenth

Can you give me a link to the bill? All I have been able to find supporting Neo's claim is the Weekly Standard piece, which seems typical damage control. Forgive me for not taking such "sources" at thier word.

www.nationalreview.com...#

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

That's how Washington works people would think a bill for Sandy relief would be as simple as allocating funds to go to those vicitims, would be passed rather quickly.

Niether cantor, nor Boehner said that was the reason they wouldn't vote on it? Cantor actually promised a vote and then didn't?

So the claim seems disputed by all parties, GOP, Dems etc. that somehow the GOPs failure to act was motivated by as of yet unsupported claims of "pork" being stuffed into the bill? I'd be interested in a breakdown of what is in the bill?...and no not from the "Weeekly Standard"...cuz "Fisheries in Alaska"..."Wildfire and Drought" mitigation...those are RED state requests.

Looks like items tossed in to make the bill more palatable to the GOP...but obviously failed to round up enough GOP votes regardless.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
What a load of BS by Christie and those who are trying to politicize Sandy.

Gee I wonder why the bill hasn't passed?

•$2 million to repair damage to the roofs of museums in Washington, D.C., while many in Hurricane Sandy’s path still have no roof over their own heads. •$150 million for fisheries as far away from the storm’s path as Alaska. •$125 million for the Department of Agriculture’s Emergency Watershed Protection program, which helps restore watersheds damaged by wildfires and drought. •$20 million for a nationwide Water Resources Priorities Study. •$15 million for NASA facilities, though NASA itself has called its damage from the hurricane ‘minimal.’ •$50 million in subsidies for tree planting on private properties. •$336 million for taxpayer-supported AMTRAK without any detailed plan for how the money will be spent. •$5.3 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers – more than the Corps’ annual budget – with no statement of priorities about how to spend the money. •$12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies, without identifying a single way to pay for it.

www.politisite.com...

Yeah right Christie first says "its not a right or left issue" then turns about and plays the blame game.

Thank you for that....

I don't know why they labeled it the "Sandy Bill" when there are more earmarks for non-emergency non-related items.

Not sure if this is correct but some say the bill was for 60 billion dollars but only approximately 9 or 10 billion would have been for Sandy help.....
The rest was an unnecessary waste.

My apologies if I have that wrong but a lot of people are upset at the thought of the politicians using this bill as a ploy to waste more money that is NOT going to help Sandy victims.

And then the dems act like the repubs are in the wrong for not supporting it and yet at the same time the dems fail to admit the why of it .....

The 2 parties have stooped to an all time low IMO...
Both are despicable.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Christie's star has risen as far as it can in the GOP. He knows this so his only option is to be a good Governor, he just happens to be a Republican Governor in a more Democratic state. Keeping that position pretty much requires him to be somewhat centrist.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Christie and King are only just now waking up to the 'shameful' and 'disgusting' antics of their party? Guess when the chips were down they saw where their parties loyalties lay - not with the people, but Wall Street.

PS: while the GOP couldn't spare the time for hurricane relief they had no problem spending it on deciding what to rename NASA facilities.

Guess renaming some old NASA facility took precedence over the fiscal cliff vote or a bill for hurricane aid to the north east.

Maybe Christie should take a look at what his party has been up to for the past four years - then decide how shameful and disgusting they really have been;

Two Years Ago, John Boehner promised to be "Laser Focused on Jobs and the Economy" So what has the GOP House been up to?

House Bills passed:
46 Bills on Abortion
113 Bills on Religion
73 Bills on Family Relationships
36 Bills on Marriage
72 Bills on Firearms
604 Bills on Taxation
437 Bills on Govt Investigations

Bills attempted and failed to be passed even by the GOP:
33 attempts to Defund Obamacare.....Failed
15 attempts to Cut Funding for Planned Parenthood......Failed
3 Attempts to Cut Funding for VA Hospitals.......Failed.

GOP blocked bills:
Blocked bill to aid Small Business
Blocked Unemployment extension
Blocked Bank Reform Bills
Blocked Campaign Finance Reform and open Contributions Law
Blocked MULTIPLE Jobs Bills
Blocked Infrastructure Bill
Blocked Ending Tax Breaks for companies that Outsource Jobs
Blocked Wall Street Reform
Blocked Energy Legislation
Blocked Mine Safety Bill
Blocked Oil Spill Liability Cap increase
Blocked Bill to lower Oil Company Tax Breaks
Blocked Bill to impose charging American Oil Companies on Oil achieved in the Gulf

Number of TRUE Jobs Bills even allowed to come to a vote in the House....NONE.

source

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I generally don't agree with the GOP, due to their constant posturing over issues, and holding the american public hostage, but yes - Christie would be an excellent contender for 2016. I like the new stances he's taking towards politics, and if he keeps this up, I would vote for him. (First time really considering voting for a GOP candidate.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Evil_Santa

He won't be allowed to run in 2016 he is not homophobic enough, he isn't religious enough nor is he insane enough. The soonest he could be a viable party candidate is 2020 unless something drastic happens within the party at the midterms. 2016 the candidate is going to be more in the mold of Bachmann or Santorum because Romney didn't win because he was too moderate according to their thinking.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I am glad they didn't vote that porkulus fake Sandy Aid bill through. It was all garbage.

It's about time elected officials stand up and say enough of this bull crap spending. Christie and all the Dems with zero brainpower need to open their eyes and quit being spoonfed liberal lies.

If the Dems cared anything about Sandy aid they wouldn't have loaded up the bill with pork.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455
Anyone care to ask why NJ can't prepare a sufficient rainy day/disaster fund for itself for that which it knows odds are will happen? I see him trying to save his own political but here by projecting that on the federal government that which he failed to do and should have been doing at the state level.

He's acting as if this was the first hurricane ever to hit the East coast.

Especially when you consider the rate at which New Jersey taxes its' residents. Ouch

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join