It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything you thought you knew about Sirius, Simblism, Occult, and even the Dogon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The Mysterious Connection Between Sirius and Human History:
vigilantcitizen.com...

Since ancient times and across multiple civilizations, Sirius, the dog star, has been surrounded with a mysterious lore. Esoteric teachings of all ages have invariably attributed to Sirius a special status and the star’s importance in occult symbolism is an attestation of that fact. What makes Sirius so special? Is it simply due to the fact that it is the brightest star in the sky? Or is it also because humanity has an ancient, mysterious connection with it? This article looks at the importance of Sirius throughout History and secret societies and will describe the symbolism surrounding it.

The Egyptian calendar system was based on the heliacal rising of Sirius that occurred just before the annual flooding of the Nile during summer. The star’s celestial movement was also observed and revered by ancient Greeks, Sumerians, Babylonians and countless other civilizations. The star was therefore considered sacred and its apparition in the sky was accompanied with feasts and celebrations. The dog star heralded the coming of the hot and dry days of July and August, hence the popular term “the dog days of summer”.

The Dogon’s mythology system is strikingly similar to the ones of other civilizations such as the Sumerians, Egyptians, Israelites and Babylonians as it includes the archetypal myth of a “great teacher from above”. Depending on the civilization, this great teacher is known as eith Enoch, Thoth or Hermes Trismegistus and is said to have taught humanity theurgic sciences. In occult traditions, it is believed that Thoth-Hermes had taught the people of Atlantis, which, according to legend, became the world’s most advanced civilization before the entire continent was submerged by the Great Deluge (accounts of a flood can be found in the mythologies of countless civilizations). Survivors from Atlantis travelled by boat to several countries, including Egypt, where they imparted their advanced knowledge. Occultists believe that the inexplicable resemblances between distant civilizations (such as the Mayas and the Egyptians) can be explained by their common contact with Atlanteans.

In Freemasonry In Masonic lodges, Sirius is known as the “Blazing Star” and a simple look at its prominence in Masonic symbolism reveals its utmost importance. The Masonic author William Hutchinson wrote about Sirius: “It is the first and most exalted object that demands our attention in the Lodge.” The same way the light of Sirius made its way into the Great Pyramid during initiations, it is symbolically present in Masonic lodges.

The light behind the All-Seeing Eye on the American dollar bill is not from the sun, but from Sirius. The Great Pyramid of Giza was built in alignment with Sirius and is therefore shown shining right above the Pyramid. A radiant tribute to Sirius is therefore in the pockets of millions of citizens.

I have read over the years about all kinds of things tired to Sirius; for those who care about such things I believe this is a well written breakdown of the history and beliefs connected to this double star system of Sirius A and Sirius B.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
At the end of the Platonic, 25,246 yr. cycle of the procession of the whatever, Sirius was supposed to shine its lights upon the northernmost whatever.....
Sorry, not to wax poetically useless upon your thread, but we could go on and on with Alpha Centauri and the lot, and given my verbatim I am not even British or Australian......just enjoy their vernacular. And even if those planets align this way, and that means something, WHAT DOES IT MEAN, and just how would we know given every thread therein this website>???
Hapoy New Year

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I can't get too Dogon Sirius about the simblism of the Occult.
I have to wonder how intelligent the people were long ago to recognize the universe out there. I doubt very much that they thought that everything rotated around the earth at that time. Why would the sun god rotate around the earth, I think the sun was known to be the center of the solar system back then also. Present Sciences are just trying to show they are way more advanced than before, that phenomenon has been going on for a long time.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
At the end of the Platonic, 25,246 yr. cycle of the procession of the whatever, Sirius was supposed to shine its lights upon the northernmost whatever.....
Sorry, not to wax poetically useless upon your thread, but we could go on and on with Alpha Centauri and the lot, and given my verbatim I am not even British or Australian......just enjoy their vernacular. And even if those planets align this way, and that means something, WHAT DOES IT MEAN, and just how would we know given every thread therein this website>???
Hapoy New Year

I got from the article a brief history lesson on why, where, and to whom Sirius has figured in folk lore even today.

If I understand what you are saying....Of all the far out stuff I have come across about theories and the mystic vernacular regarding Sirius I felt their break down of history and use of Sirius was one of the better written....Thus the posting of the thread....Not normally my cup of tea, but I did learn a few things....... If I knew how to copy some of their great pictures and post I would but....alas I can barely spell computer on a good day... so ya get what I got and not much more....

Sorry, not to wax poetically useless upon your thread

Never my friend and thanks for the post.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky
Is it simply due to the fact that it is the brightest star in the sky?
Or is it also because humanity has an ancient, mysterious connection with it?

The article doesnt appear to bother addressing the first question, and just assumes the second is true.

But back in the real world, humans have always loved the "biggest and best" of items.
The highest mountain,
The tallest tree,
The deepest canyon,
The darkest forest,
The biggest ocean
etc...

Stories and legends abound about such things. Doesnt mean they're true.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Is it simply due to the fact that it is the brightest star in the sky?
Or is it also because humanity has an ancient, mysterious connection with it?

The article doesnt appear to bother addressing the first question, and just assumes the second is true.

But back in the real world, humans have always loved the "biggest and best" of items.
The highest mountain,
The tallest tree,
The deepest canyon,
The darkest forest,
The biggest ocean
etc...

Stories and legends abound about such things. Doesnt mean they're true.

I personally agree with you. Sirius has followed mankind down from the earliest written records so I assume the old adage of mine is bigger was a thought even back then if you are correct??

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Sirius isn't actually a star. It's a type of ship.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Are you serious?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   

In Freemasonry In Masonic lodges, Sirius is known as the “Blazing Star” and a simple look at its prominence in Masonic symbolism reveals its utmost importance. The Masonic author William Hutchinson wrote about Sirius: “It is the first and most exalted object that demands our attention in the Lodge.” The same way the light of Sirius made its way into the Great Pyramid during initiations, it is symbolically present in Masonic lodges.

This is incorrect.

The ritual states, for example:

"The blazing star, or glory in the centre, refers us to the Sun, which enlightens the earth, and by its benign influence dispenses its blessings to mankind in general."
~Reference: English Emulation Ritual First Degree Tracing Board Lecture

There are numerous references in the ritual to the Blazing Star referring to the sun. Sirius is not mentioned even once in the ritual.

Besides, it would be unmasonic, as any celestial object which appears in Masonry must be visible from the entire earth, not just the Northern Hemisphere, as any Entered Apprentice Mason who has learned the answers to the first degree questions will tell you.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus
Besides, it would be unmasonic, as any celestial object which appears in Masonry must be visible from the entire earth, not just the Northern Hemisphere...

While this may be true, Sirius is reasonably close to the celestial equator at only Declination -16 degrees, and could thus be said to be MORE visible to the entire earth than the sun.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

The Canannites were named after Sirius/Dog Star (Canine -dog).

Rome began with twins suckling on a bitch/dog ... origins in Sirius.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

oh wow, you just made that up off the top of year head right now, didnt you?

The "canine" word comes from latin, as spoken by the Romans, but wikipedia gives an etymology for "Canaan" as being THOUSANDS of years before them.

edit on 2-1-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Still, Freemasonry has never associated the Blazing Star with Sirius.

It is perhaps possible that some of the side orders to which I do not belong may mention Sirius, but Freemasonry itself does not and never has made mention of the star.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by troubleshooter

oh wow, you just made that up off the top of year head right now, didnt you?

The "canine" word comes from latin, as spoken by the Romans, but wikipedia gives an etymology for "Canaan" as being THOUSANDS of years before them.

edit on 2-1-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

The Latins adopted Canis from the Greeks,,,

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

According to the Biblical account of the origin of the name...

Canaan was the the name of the fourth son of Ham, the youngest son of Noah (Genesis 9:18).

His descendents were called Canaanites. They settled in a land which was then named Canaan (after him), and which was later displaced by Israel.

edit on 2/1/2013 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   

It is perhaps possible that some of the side orders to which I do not belong may mention Sirius, but Freemasonry itself does not and never has made mention of the star.
Scottish Rite, to some extent...

The ORNAMENTS of a Lodge are said to be "the Mosaic Pavement, the Indented Tessel, and the Blazing Star." The Mosaic Pavement, chequered in squares or lozenges, is said to represent the ground-floor of King Solomon's Temple; and the Indented Tessel "that beautiful tesselated border which surrounded it." The Blazing Star in the centre is said to be "an emblem of Divine Providence, and commemorative of the star which appeared to guide the wise men of the East to the place of our Saviour's nativity." But "there was no stone seen" within the Temple. The walls were covered with planks of cedar, and the floor was covered with planks of fir. There is no evidence that there was such a pavement or floor in the Temple, or such a bordering. In England, anciently, the Tracing-Board was surrounded with an indented border; and it is only in America that such a border is put around the Mosaic pavement. The tesseræ, indeed, are the squares or lozenges of the pavement. In England, also, "the indented or denticulated border" is called "tesselated," because it has four "tassels," said to represent Temperance, Fortitude, Prudence, and Justice. It was termed the Indented Trassel; but this is a misuse of words. It is a tesserated pavement, with an indented border round it.

The pavement, alternately black and white, symbolizes, whether so intended or not, the Good and Evil Principles of the Egyptian and Persian creed. It is the warfare of Michael and Satan, of the Gods and Titans, of Balder and Lok; between light and shadow, which is darkness; Day and Night; Freedom and Despotism; Religious Liberty and the Arbitrary Dogmas of a Church that thinks for its votaries, and whose Pontiff claims to be infallible, and the decretals of its Councils to constitute a gospel.

The edges of this pavement, if in lozenges, will necessarily be indented or denticulated, toothed like a saw; and to complete and finish it a bordering is necessary. It is completed by tassels as ornaments at the corners. If these and the bordering have any symbolic meaning, it is fanciful and arbitrary.

To find in the BLAZING STAR of five points an allusion to the Divine Providence, is also fanciful; and to make it commemorative of the Star that is said to have guided the Magi, is to give it a meaning comparatively modern. Originally it represented SIRIUS, or the Dog-star, the forerunner of the inundation of the Nile; the God ANUBIS, companion of Isis in her search for the body of OSIRIS, her brother and husband. Then it became the image of HORUS, the son of OSIRIS, himself symbolized also by the Sun, the author of the Seasons, and the God of Time; Son of Isis, who was the universal nature, himself the primitive matter, inexhaustible source of Life, spark of uncreated fire, universal seed of all beings. It was HERMES, also, the Master of Learning, whose name in Greek is that of the God Mercury. It became the sacred and potent sign or character of the Magi, the PENTALPHA, and is the significant emblem of Liberty and Freedom, blazing with a steady radiance amid the weltering elements of good and evil of Revolutions, and promising serene skies and fertile seasons to the nations, after the storms of change and tumult.
Morals & Dogma, Ch. I, p 15

The Blazing Star in our Lodges, we have already said, represents Sirius, Anubis, or Mercury, Guardian and Guide of Souls. Our Ancient English brethren also considered it an emblem of the Sun. In the old Lectures they said: "The Blazing Star or Glory in the centre refers us to that Grand Luminary the Sun, which enlightens the Earth, and by its genial influence dispenses blessings to mankind." It is also said in those lectures to be an emblem of Prudence. The word Prudentia means, in its original and fullest signification, Foresight: and accordingly the Blazing Star has been regarded as an emblem of Omniscience, or the All-Seeing Eye, which to the Ancients was the Sun.
ibid. Ch. XXV, p 506

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AlbertPike

Thank you for the references - very informative.
(Sadly, I am not a member of the Order, as English Freemasonry prohibits non-Christians from joining.)

Do you know if mention of Sirius is actually made in Scottish Rite or Rose Croix ritual?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This stuff about the Dogon and advanced knowledge of star systems has been debunked, it was found that it was largely invented to sell books, people who later went to live with the dogon came back with a completely different interpretation after interviewing the tribal elders....its been killed but people wont let it die because they want to believe in it!
edit on 2-1-2013 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

now why does that explanation sound so familiar?

I suppose I could ask Leo.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

reply to post by troubleshooter

According to the Biblical account of the origin of the name...

Canaan was the the name of the fourth son of Ham, the youngest son of Noah (Genesis 9:18).

His descendents were called Canaanites. They settled in a land which was then named Canaan (after him), and which was later displaced by Israel.

Later known for their sex/child sacrifice cults and worship of Baal (Mars)...
...they were aka Phoenicians and Edomites and their regard for Sirius...
...and ordered destroyed by Israel.

Exodus 23:23 "For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join