It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Soldiers Committ Suicide In 2012 Than Killed Fighting The War On Terrorism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
This trend will continue. As the amount of the combat handled by drones increases, the number of combat deaths will continue to plummet. We may arrive at a scenario where there are zero combat deaths of US forces. Even if the suicide rate comes down significantly, the comparsion will still hold.

Comparisons like this will become increasingly meaningless.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apollo7
reply to post by cybro

This is only my opinion- I think it is the shots they make them take! I dated 2 guys that were sent to the Middle East and they are still sick. I have also read information that they are going to implement the use of RFID, I do not think that will go down very well. I also know an ex-military guy whom has just ran off. I asked the immediate family, why have they not filed a missing persons report? They would not answer me. All of this saddens me!! I feel they should raise the active duty age to 30. They should increase the age limit for entry to 45. Children should not be out fighting a war in any country! I consider anyone under the age of 30 as a child!!

Yes and children are most suceptable to the brainwashing that they call "basic training"/ "boot camp".
They are also full of piss and vinegar and wanting to prove what a "bad ass" they are.

A seasoned adult MAN would not fall for the BS reasons for war and the never question authority BS attitude.
You have to be

Young
Stupid
or BOTH in order to fall for the crap they feed you in the military.
The problem is, once IN, and you have seen first hand what war really is then you tend ot grow up pretty quickly and you realize at a certain point that you have more in common with your so called "enemies" than you do with the people who sent you to kill them.

That is where # gets real.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of 40 year old adolescents who still refuse to grow out of their bad ass attitude or who actually still believe that they are somehow "fighting for our freedom" coughbull#cough! lol.

These are the people who worry me most because they are just dumb enough to follow orders without question and have just enough brain cells to fire a weapon.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
This is not surprising news at all...What would an American service man tell his children 20 years from now?...''Yes my dear you see daddy was sent to the ME to fight a war with a country that did nothing to us but we went there just to keep a foothold and to protect our interests in the region!!,that's why i missed your birthdays and graduations and that's why your mom is so depressed and uncle billy took his own life and i lost my eye and our country is in such deep crap and i am talking to you via phone in a prison!''

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I've always had questions about the facts regarding military personnel and the usage of prescribed medication for mental illnesses.

1. How many of them have pre-existing mental illness before they joined the forces?
Generally speaking, anyone with pre-existing mental illness are not accepted into the forces. Mental illness is a disqualifying factor. This includes mood disorders such as bipolar, and any mental illness that requires outpatient care by a professional. Source
If this is the case, it might be safe to say, that since the military has strict standards on accepting recruits with mental illness; either the recruit is lying to be accepted, the military is accepting them anyway, or the things the military personnel are asked to perform, is caused deep seated mental issues.

According to figures recently disclosed by the U.S. Army surgeon general to The Los Angeles Times, “more than 110,000 active-duty Army troops last year were taking prescribed antidepressants, narcotics, sedatives, antipsychotics and anti-anxiety drugs. Nearly 8% of the active duty Army is now on sedatives and more than 6% is on antidepressants—an eightfold increase.”

If a recruit is showing signs of psychosis, depression or other mental illness, this makes them unfit for service, yet they are not discharged? Instead they throw the pills down their neck and tell them to carry on? This in itself is a dangerous cocktail.
As someone who has suffered with poor mental health in the past, I feel that throwing pills at the problems doesn't make them better, it just puts them on hold to a point where it builds and gets worse, but you just don't feel like doing anything about it. It still comes to a head at some point though, and if the severity of the illness is high enough, it could be an explosive release.
At this point in a mental fugue, perhaps someone is more easily suggestible? Maybe someone is more willing to carry out orders that others would find majorly reprehensible.

3. If 1 in 8 soldiers come home with PTSD, how many are also coming back with depression, psychosis?

- Were directly exposed to the traumatic event as a victim or a witness.
- Were seriously injured during the trauma
- Experienced a trauma that was long lasting or very severe
- Saw themselves or a family member as being in imminent danger
- Had a severe negative reaction during the event, such as feeling detached from ones surroundings or having a panic attack felt
- Helpless during the trauma and were unable to help themselves or a loved one.

If these are just a few of the things that may trigger PTSD, think how easy it must be in comparison to become anxious and depressed.
Obviously, in "normal" war circumstances (and I use "normal" loosely, since war shouldn't be normal at all), it's a stressful and traumatic experience anyway.
But what if you're carrying out orders you don't agree with? What if you're made to do something which hurts your heart and soul?
What if the soldiers who commit suicide are not "just suffering substance abuse, financial distress and relationship problems" but battling overwhelming guilt, depression and disturbing memories?

I'm not saying all soldiers carry out atrocious acts, and some soldiers are fortunate enough to go to war and see very little action and come back relatively unharmed.

Sometimes the eyes tell a story

Substance abuse, financial distress and relationship problems seem almost trivial to me, compared to the idea of war.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
There is more chance of the government killing them then they committing suicide.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   

More Soldiers Committ Suicide In 2012 Than Killed Fighting The War On Terrorism

Solution anybody ?

MO , make another false flag and Prove that US is under attack.

I don't know how those troops can invade another country and bring war to civilians , Killing other humans while supporting what elites wanted them to do.

How do they take one minute ?

It is hard.

BTW , suicide is not solving anything.

It is a crazy escape.

Dying from hunger is more easier than committing suicide.

They could have stayed in their country and die from hunger. BTW , they wouldn't die from hunger anyway.
edit on 2-1-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
If you're in war for absolutely no reason and there are no benefits for you, You will become despressed and you will have anxiety over your actions. America and it's NATO allies are in countries killing for no other reason than to split them up and control them/their assets. Since some soldiers are depended on the money they get from military service, You have to follow order. It would be no surprise to me that soldiers committ suicide because they see their lives as pointless and depressing. Being a soldier is not killing rats, You're actually killing real human beings, children and women. They have the same right to live as you do, And you're killing them for your paycheck?

If there is nothing sicker than a soldier killing women and children in war I don't know what is. Perhaps they're killing themselves to show that the actions of their governments are sick. What's truely sad is that the sheeples won't even get to know this, Because nothing about the reason of his dead will ever be told to someone else. Those who do go out, Tend to be forgotten or killed.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I love the way that everyone on this forum assumes that by joining the military you will be automatically going out to war and killing people for the rest of your days.

Most people who join the military and go to Afghanistan never even SEE the enemy or hear a shot in anger. The great majority of people who deploy are in non-combat roles (logistics, drivers, medical, clerks, mechanical engineers etc) and spend their lives in Bastion/Leatherneck or one of the other major MOBs.

It is also assumed that those of us who ARE in combat roles go out there as crazed, brain-washed killers and come back as broken shells of our former selves. Take it from someone who has been on many operational deployments in a combat role as an infantryman over the last 20+ years (ranging from patrolling my own streets in Ulster, to peacekeeping in Kosovo, to being outnumbered and coming under continual attack for months on end in Afghanistan and other places in between such as Sierra Leonne and Iraq), - this is all crap.

All things considered I consider myself to be fairly well-balanced and emotionally stable. I get up, go to work, finish work, go to the gym, go to the mess, go into town, have a good social life and healthy relationships with people outside the forces. Most of my colleagues are much the same. All pretty normal people. Soldiering is our job, but not our whole life.

Post traumatic stress is a NORMAL reaction to an ABNORMAL situation. Any of us who have seen any real degree of fighting will have some mental or emotional baggage. This doesn't however make us all crazy. Some people on the other hand have difficulties in dealing with these issues and they have a detrimental effect on their emotional wellbeing. Killing and/or seeing your friends being killed or mutilated is about as severe an emotional sceario as you could imagine, trust me.

Like all psychosocial issues there is a bell-curve of how we react to these extreme circumstances. At one extreme there are people who have complete emotional recovery. In the middle there is the majority who will have some mild issues such as sleep problems, some flashbacks and mild emotional detachment. These will usually self-limit and dissappear or at least considerably lessen over time, and are perfectly normal. At the other extreme there are those who are simply unable to deal with their issues or feelings of guilt to the extent that they believe the world would be better if they weren't in it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join