It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waking Dreams - Are They Real?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Now, I have a number of stories that I would like to share in this thread, but first I want to ask the community one question:

Are waking dreams real? Are they really dreams? Or are we seeing something that is really there?

I will start by saying that I personally do not have many first-hand experiences with 'waking dreams', but I do not doubt that I've experienced one or two in my life.
The reason I am creating this thread is because of something that happened to my father about a year or so back, perhaps a little over a year by now.

There was a time in 2011 where my father was literally suffering from what he was calling 'waking dreams', I knew nothing of the subject and phenomena back then, but once he began calling his paranormal experiences by that name, I decided to research it a bit.

I will share some of the things that happened with my father, from my perspective as well as his that he has shared with me.

The first time this happened, my younger brother and I were in the basement of my dad's house where I lived, we were playing PS3 and he was just about to go upstairs to his own room, basically around the time my younger brother was about to say goodnight, there was a loud bang upstairs right above where him and I were. Thinking about the layout of the house, the bang would have happened either in my father's bedroom doorway, or right in my father's room. Two seconds or so after this loud bang, my father woke up screaming. In shock, my brother and I looked at each other for a moment, then I decided we should run up and check on him.
My father didn't say anything about it, but when I opened up his bedroom door he was getting out of his bed, I asked him what happened, he said "nothing," started to chuckle nervously and said, "but I need to piss after that." he went to the washroom and back to bed...

The next morning, curious, I asked my dad over the phone what had happened. He was at work at the time and kept his answer pretty short, he said something along the lines of, "I woke up and there was this white face staring right at me as I opened my eyes".

Now, I was rather creeped out as I had evidence and experiences already that lead me to believing that his house is haunted.

We tried to shrug the whole experience off, but it continued to happen, and after the second time he began saying it was just waking dreams. He didn't know they existed until he had these experiences.

The second time it happened, the experience as a witness was very similar, there was a loud bang, and my dad woke up yelling again, this time there was a man in a lumberjack jacket at the end / the foot of his bed.

The third time, it was another similar experience, loud bang, and a white face staring at him directly in front of his eyes as he opened them.

My question is, if these are simply just "waking dreams" and they are only happening to him, and they're all just in his mind, then what is this loud bang we (my brother and I) continued to hear right before he woke up yelling? Where does this bang come from? What is it?

My mother used to have waking dreams as well, except we lived in a house that was a well known haunted house in the area, many neighbourhood folk heard many stories about it, etc. I can share some tales of living in that home when the time is right, and I'm certain I will soon enough.

As I was saying, my mother woke up one night instantly, sat up and saw a shadow figure at the end of her bed, she recently told me this story and even described this figure as having wearing one of the older time hats, just like in many shadow people drawings. My mother does not like the paranormal, holds no interest in it and is not much of a believer, she doesn't research the stuff, and she described the hat just like many others do as well.

She woke up, there it was, she fell asleep instantly after noticing it. She felt terrified, but fell asleep immediately.
She woke up again shortly after, wide awake and sitting up, the shadow figure was closer. She fell asleep immediately.
She woke up once more, and the shadow figure was beside her but looking in the other direction, she said that what she felt is indescribable, but there was conflict between two forces. She said there was a battle between good and evil happening around her, and she could not see the good, but it was there. She said she lay awake just feeling this for however long, and fell asleep immediately after the conflict faded.

Was this a waking dream? She doesn't believe so, and she also remembers feeling the same conflict one day while making dinner in the kitchen. There are many stories I'd like to tell of being in that house, I promise to one day within the new year.

Anyway, what is a waking dream? Are they really all in our head? Are they real? Are we able to communicate with other dimensions / beings when we are in the sleeping state of mind?

I have many questions on the subject, and would like to hear some of your opinions as well as stories, etc.

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
In my experience, "waking dreams" happen when you are unusually tired, or when you ared doing something we don't talk about here. They are very real dreams, certainly--nothing fake about them, but they are from inside your head, not outside.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lifemonkey

Are we able to communicate with other dimensions / beings when we are in the sleeping state of mind?

Yes, you are able to speak to the others in the unseen. When the body is in slumber state, it relaxes it's self, and some of the blocks that the mind puts up is let down, and now you are able to see/hear what you normally do not hear when you are fully awake.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
In my experience, "waking dreams" happen when you are unusually tired, or when you ared doing something we don't talk about here. They are very real dreams, certainly--nothing fake about them, but they are from inside your head, not outside

Everything is from inside your head. Waking dreams and so-called "reality," is there really that much of a difference? Both are constructs created by our minds to make sense of our experience.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've had many experiences with waking dreams. I never really thought about it until now, but I suppose all of them involved some entity in the room. I've been an insomniac for as long as I can remember, and typically they occur after long periods without sleep when delirium really begins to set it. Although I've had a few other experiences in which I was well-rested.

I tend to be extremely calm in my dreams even if I'm dreaming of ghosts or being in a car wreck or something of that nature, so I've never been too terrified of waking dreams for the most part. However, they can be a bit nerve-racking. Sometimes they are recurring throughout the night, and I'll keep my hand on my girlfriend and tug at her or tap her when it happens so she can verify for me.
Knight in shining armor, right? Anyway, for what its worth, as of yet none of these experiences have been shared.

If you have any questions about my experiences or want to hear details about an event let me know. I'm typing on a phone and don't want to get into it right this minute.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
That was a great read! Thanks for sharing those experiences! S & F

My thoughts so far are that it sounds like they are in the hynogogic type state between being asleep and awake. I believe in that state we can actually tune into entities that are really around us on a slightly different 'wave length'. If we think of the brain like a frequency tuning device, (like a radio) then when in that state we have slightly tuned out of normal physical awareness frequency and are now tuning into something else, a 'frequency' where I believe other entities exist.

I have had similar experiences. I'll share some later.

Thanks again for starting such an interesting thread!

Aelf

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Yes, but at the time I didn't realize what was happening. Most notably, an experience with a young girl, about 9 or 10 years old wearing an old fashioned nightgown, blonde thin hair. She didn't say anything or move. She just stood next to my bed staring at me. It wasn't until I awoke later on that I realized what had happened. I was freaked right out. I've had lots of dreams with visits from deceased relatives. A few conversations in dreams with my grandmother after she passed away. And a few other experiences I can't explain.

I have always believed that dreams are a portal of sort or doorway to the spirit world - somewhere between the physical and spiritual. A place where we can meet our ancestors, loved ones and spirit guides. Along the way we can encounter unfriendly beings. I've had these experiences during sleep paralysis...and again last night, I felt like I wasn't alone. Couldn't get any sleep even after taking two sleeping pills.

Look forward to hearing more of your stories.

top topics

join