It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any ideas on boson shielding?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on boson sheilding?

via .. something..
edit on 30-12-2012 by hisshadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on boson sheilding?

via .. something..

What do you mean, Higgs Boson?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

Have you tried anti bosons?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Amazing question!

Within the realm of reason ...

To shield against light I would assume any higly polished mirror would be sufficient.

To shield against electromagnetism would require a phased array that senses and then counters with the same EMF force but half stepped in phase so that it cancels out.

To shield against the strong force is not required due to extremely short range and extremely small scales.

To shield against the weak force is impossible as its random and the cuases are still not well known.

To shield against gravity would require choosing a path through time space that offers the least resistance.

Personal Disclosure: Beyond the realm of reason ... I have some ideas like using small sized large densities of mass to bend space time itself so that the curvature of the fabric of existence acts as the shield.

I hope this helps!

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Indeed it does. You just described a warp drive.

More directly though, if you can shield a ship from bosons you eliminate its mass. ion drives could accelerate the ship to warp speeds

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Sweet ? man.

I briefly discussed this in another thread when talking about a means of anti-gravity, But I admit I have a laymans understanding of these things so I cant be of much help.

My reasoning is every other natural force has a means of manipulation so where do find the boson/gravity manipulator?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Explanation: Indeed!

However shielding any atomic matter froms its OWN bosons would be ... ???

Personal Disclosure: My examples were for the shielding from bosons that are external to the vehicle.

Do you have any ideas on how to shield an atom of any matter from its own gravity?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

To shield against light I would assume any higly polished mirror would be sufficient.

To shield against electromagnetism would require a phased array that senses and then counters with the same EMF force but half stepped in phase so that it cancels out.

Visible light being just one small section of the EM spectrum, you could shield against all electromagnetism by expanding the initial mirror idea to include one that reflects/absorbs all wavelengths.A blackbody shell would be the 100% efficient example of this.

To shield against the weak force is impossible as its random and the cuases are still not well known.

And there's no need to shield against the weak force anyway. It's purely a conservation of momentum in nuclear decay. There's nothing to shield against.

To shield against gravity would require choosing a path through time space that offers the least resistance.

Shielding against gravity requires counteracting the curvature caused by the presence of mass. It's impossible to have a static shield that counteracts external gravitational forces, but you could create a variable one using negative pressure, like the inflaton field of the early universe. Have fun creating that, though...not to mention the Star Trek-esque technology required to control it.
And anyway, gravity is not a boson, so it's not really part of the question.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Your right, hadnt thought about it that way.

So instead of boson shielding, would need more like a boson removal sweep of the ship.

erridicationg boson bonds. said ship should even be able to traverse black holes

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I don't know the answer, but i do know that manipulation of the mechanism of mass, is the 'holy grail' of scientific achievement. With the 'massive' implications of such capabilities, I estimate it will still take a few thousand years (or never) to produce useful applications.
edit on 30-12-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: Indeed!

However shielding any atomic matter froms its OWN bosons would be ... ???

Personal Disclosure: My examples were for the shielding from bosons that are external to the vehicle.

Do you have any ideas on how to shield an atom of any matter from its own gravity?

Look at magnetic shields.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Removing bosons is going to disassociate your ship. You'll be left with a cloud of disconnected particles. And that cloud of particles will still have essentially the same gravitational potential that your ship had, because gravity is not bosonic.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Removing bosons is going to disassociate your ship. You'll be left with a cloud of disconnected particles. And that cloud of particles will still have essentially the same gravitational potential that your ship had, because gravity is not bosonic.

if bosons provide mass, without them gravity wont have anything to cling too. We arent changing gravity, just phasing out of its reach

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Higgs bosons provide mass. Photons are also bosons, as are gluons, which are responsible for holding nuclei together. If you remove all bosons from the ship, it's going to quite literally fall apart...at the subatomic level. You will have no ship left.
edit on 30-12-2012 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I am speaking for a lot of ATS people today, I am sure, when I say, there are certain subjects that just elude my ability to comprehend!

Of course, everything you are all commenting on is theory and theory only.

However, it is amazing how close to future reality that Rodenberry truly was...

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Would computers benefit from shielding technology?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Explanation: St*rred!

I agree .. however this assumes the vehicle is stationary when the 'shields' are engaged!

Lets assume that we get the entire mass of the vehicle moving all in the same direction BEFORE the 'shielding' is activated ... then its just down to general relativity and proximity.

Personal Disclosure: Inertia alone will keep the ship 'together' !

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

What sort of "shield" are you referring to here? One that eliminates all bosonic forces, or just the Higgs?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Never mind, I'll just tell what would happen if you did both (I don't seem to be patient enough at the moment to wait).

You seem to be saying that, even without the forces that hold atoms together, they would still stay together due to inertia (and, presumably, the conservation of momentum).
The biggest problem with that is that there's a reason why it takes the strong force to hold nuclei together. Nucleons are repulsive. It takes exceptionally strong bosons called gluons to "glue" them together. Remove these and the ship is not just going to disassociate...it's going to violently explode into a cloud of particles. Inertia will do nothing to prevent this.

If you could somehow remove just the Higgs bosons, then you'll have some more interesting problems. The Higgs Mechanism disappears, causing the photon and W/Z boson groups to rearrange themselves to form a completely new set of bosons, all of which are massless. This will cause the EM and weak forces to change form. Also, every particle that comprises the ship and everything in it (including you) will become two individual particles, all of which are again massless. Your ship suddenly becomes double the particles in the same volume, and none of these particles interact in any familiar way.

Oh, and without the Higgs...there is no inertia (though there would still be conservation of momentum, which has a similar effect at light-speed). All of these funky new particles would be massless, and would therefore travel at the speed of light. Have fun containing them.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
So an anti Boson projector could be a disruptor weapon like the Klingons use.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join