It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Martian Flower"! Curiosity Sol 132!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Raffaele
We can't say that the object IS a shell untill you keep it in your hands....but we can say that the object is so similar to a shell that the probability it may be - taking into account of all the factors...geomorphology...lithology...morphology of that specimen - is greater than 0.

But we can also say that it's not similar to a shell. Living near the Atlantic ocean and in an area with many fossils, I have seen hundreds of shells (in living animals, freshly separated from the animal, old and fossilized) and I don't think this object looks like one.

As a geologist, don't you think this could be a rock?
edit on 6/1/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDinkinDunken

Based upon my preliminary analysis of this object, I am convinced this is nothing more than a deciduous bicuspid shed by an adolescent Thark.

...or an unused alien-condom !?!

edit on 5-1-2013 by Raffaele because: (no reason given)

lol. From certain angles it does actually look a bit like a condom. And, I hate to say it, but this is about as rational of an explanation as any other. You guys are clearly a lot smarter than I. And some of the explanations are pretty convincing. But we are sitting here on Earth speculating about an object in a digital image taken by a robot on another frikking planet millions of miles away. So many unknown variables to consider. And we can't consider what we can't concieve. We can merely relate this object to what we understand from our limited perspective on this planet. Unless we use our imagination. Imagination is the ability to conceive that which is inconceivable. This is why I think this is object is likely some sort of biological organism, an unused alien condom, or the mystery substance Gorgio Tsoukalos puts in his hair.
edit on 6-1-2013 by VonDinkinDunken because: typos galore

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

But we can also say that it's not similar to a shell. Living near the Atlantic ocean and in an area with many fossils, I have seen hundreds of shells (in living animals, freshly separated from the animal, old and fossilized) and I don't think this object looks like one.

As a geologist, don't you think this could be a rock?

...as a geologist I cannot say that specimen is a shell. Well, intuitively I'm almost sure it is but I reserve this interpretation for my family and my friends. If someone would ask me a professional opinion I'd reply that a shell is a possibility that cannot be excluded because that specimen shows morphological characteristics that are consistent with a shell of a bivalve:

As I just said before a clarification about the origin of that specimen can be reached by a closer look analysis only. Till then it may be some kind of mineral (brucite...or a sulfate hydrate) worked by the wind as well as a shell. You cannot deny it'd be unwise to overlook this last possibility.
edit on 6-1-2013 by Raffaele because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Jan 6 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

You cannot deny it'd be unwise to overlook this last possibility.

Yes, if it looked like a shell, but that's where I disagree.

The concave part of the object looks too shallow, so if it was a shell it would be almost flat. That concave part doesn't look uniform along the whole object, it looks more like the concave part of the photo I posted some pages back. extra DIV

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well, it seems that the news is spreading like wildfire.
At this point you must modify the first post of this thread reporting literally the phrase: "This evidence has been already discussed on Forumastronautico.it (www.forumastronautico.it...)".
My rights are easily demonstrable at every level. A lot of emails has been sent to inform NASA and JPL about that anomaly till December 22.
Arken, you are a good guy...i'm sure you understand...

Raffaele

P.S.
I have just requested to cbs news to change the source of that news.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Well, it seems that the news is spreading like wildfire.
At this point you must modify the first post of this thread reporting literally the phrase: "This evidence has been already discussed on Forumastronautico.it (www.forumastronautico.it...)".
My rights are easily demonstrable at every level. A lot of emails has been sent to inform NASA and JPL about that anomaly till December 22.
Arken, you are a good guy...i'm sure you understand...

Raffaele

Credit? These images are public domain.

What are you so worried about? You can't even prove that Arken saw those other posts, and even if he DID, the NEWS picked up his story and ran with it - as ridiculous as it was (Arken - you know what I mean - as far as it being sensationalized as being called a "flower").

I'm glad this IMAGE went viral. I'm not crazy about the story, the headlines, the sensationalism, and the misleading, but I don't blame Arken.

I blame the media for turning this into a circus. As I said - great image with what may be minerals, but that's all it was. Still glad Mars images are getting around. That's the bottom line.

So it seems to me, Raffaele, that you're jealous.

Let it go. It's not even a big deal. It's a mineral of some sort - most definitely.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
...hey man...I'm not asking to Arken to cancel the thread, I'm asking him to recognize that the priority of an eventual discovery is to Forumastronautico.it. These are facts....not jealousy.
Fourthermore if that specimen is only a pebble why not to recognize to Forumastronautico the credit of such...amazing discovery ? Where is the problem ?

I repeat...my rights are perfectly clear and I will use ANY way to protect them.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I personally think it looks more like a mineral in the rock than a flower, but if it is a flower then that's pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I repeat...my rights are perfectly clear and I will use ANY way to protect them.

With the risk of moving this thread further off topic, could you please tell us what rights are those?
Thanks in advance.

extra DIV

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

...hey man...I'm not asking to Arken to cancel the thread, I'm asking him to recognize that the priority of an eventual discovery is to Forumastronautico.it. These are facts....not jealousy.
Fourthermore if that specimen is only a pebble why not to recognize to Forumastronautico the credit of such...amazing discovery ? Where is the problem ?

A discovery of quartz or minerals on Mars? Isn't that already common knowledge?

And what rights do you think you're talking about? I think you have this all twisted.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

With the risk of moving this thread further off topic, could you please tell us what rights are those?
Thanks in advance.

I'll show you what are my rights when and if the sample turns out to be really a shell. That's all.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Thanks in advance.

I'll show you what are my rights when and if the sample turns out to be really a shell. That's all.

Why don't you tell us why you (with your credentials) think it's a shell? I'm all ears, and I'm sure the rest of the ATS community is.

Also, if you're a Geologist, what are you doing on a conspiracy site? THAT I would like to know as well...

Use your words! Until you speak up and expound, there's nothing more to talk about other than you complaining about "rights".

So tell us - HOW and WHY is that a shell. What is YOUR evidence or opinion (professional opinion)?

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I NEVER said it

IS

a shell !
You will also be "all ears"...surely you haven't eyes...

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I NEVER said it

IS

a shell !
You will also be "all ears"...surely you haven't eyes...

Originally posted by Raffaele I'll show you what are my rights when and if the sample turns out to be really a shell. That's all.

Did you not imply? Am I missing something here? I guess I don't have eyes. What?
edit on 1/6/2013 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Raffaele

Raffaele, no one is ever going to look at it to see if it is a shell, the rover is long past this point. You were the first person, as far as we know, to focus on the picture and see this object and report about it. Here at ATS someone else saw it independently of you, and reported on it. You did so first, what's the argument?

But ha, have you reported that it looks very obviously (once your eyes adjust to the straight lines faintly present but discernable once you see it) like there are strata running horizontally up the entire picture? Did you see that? Look for the lines, and lots of them are marked by tiny holes. I don't think this is a photo mosaic and that's what I'm seeing, but some kind of strata. Can anyone else see it?
edit on 6-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
That isn't the only interesting node on that rock it's littered with things like it. I would bet that it's ancient coral reef.
edit on 6-1-2013 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I see people criticizing Raffaele for merely considering the possibility this may very well be a shell.

Can any of these critics please explain to me why this CAN'T be a shell? Especially w/the recent news of creek-bed substrate discovery by the rover. We now know there has been water on Mars. This opens up doors for all sorts of possibilities.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken

Sorry, but I don't know your website.
However interesting.

...but probably you know unmannedspaceflight...........

No.
Never heard about it too...

Sometime I check "The Mars Science Laboratory Raw Images", to find something slipped out to NASA/JPL censorship.

But probably you know mars.jpl.nasa.gov... ............. Enjoy it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDinkinDunken
I see people criticizing Raffaele for merely considering the possibility this may very well be a shell.

I don't, who is criticizing Raffaele for thinking this may be a shell?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Interesting to know you are a geologist, Raffaele, and personally, I'm inclined to think that it is something of eso-biological, too

For your reseach, If you want, I give you a clue on a new Area on Mars: HELLAS BASIN.

In particular the Image on Google Mars called "Fall in Hellas Basin".
Rotate on South-East the image and analyze the terrain.

A related thread Artificial megalithic structures in Hellas Basin
edit on 7-1-2013 by Arken because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join