It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are printer manufacturers completely inept or do they suffer some kind of retardation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Second wireless printer I have purchased and it's like solving a rubic's cube trying to actually have the thing work wirelessly. I am ready to throw it out the window.

Last one took me a week after repeated attempts. This time it tells me to use the instillation disc and during the instillation click on an option that does not exist. The option, I repeat, does not exist.

How can people that work for these companies (In this case, Samsung) be so completely inept?

And why is not easier to install things like printers. You would think by how long computers have been around, they would work out the kinks in the instillation processes...
edit on 29-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Can't it be both?

I have issues with all mine too. I use them here at the home office frequently and everything involving my printers is always a pain.

Then you get them set up and they run out of ink or toner in a month!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
With all that empty space inside a printer you would think they would use some of it to install the driver software and network search to do it automatically. Your computer would then recognize a new device on the networks and POOF the installation begins.

link   
the most common problem i encounter as an IT repair person.. USER ERROR... machines and computers work fine as long as you know how to use them

link   
reply to post by boncho

Can you access the printer via your browser?

Some will even let you telnet/ssh into the printer to access management software.

If it is a windows share....good luck....set a static ip and double check the share names/settings/permissions.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Second wireless printer I have purchased and it's like solving a rubic's cube trying to actually have the thing work wirelessly. I am ready to throw it out the window.

I think they do it on purpose to mess with us!

I got a so-called wireless printer... yeah... right. It's an HP, and so's my laptop - and it simply refuses to work as a wireless with my laptop! I managed to get it to work as a wireless for OH's laptop (which quite ironically is not HP), so clearly it's got beef with me and my laptop. Bastard.
edit on 29-12-2012 by aspiechick because: I can spell, but my fingers clearly have a life of their own.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
A little from column A, a little from column B, to answer your question...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
LMFAO

Hey Boncho,

I was just reading something about this, they deliberately mess with cheaper printers so they can justify having expensive ones.
Cheaper ones are actually more expensive to make as they have to make some additions to the chips in them so they run slower... SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Same with Intel chips...

Im actually going to do a thread on it after some more research.

Big business are all big bastards in my opinion

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by boncho

Can you access the printer via your browser?

Some will even let you telnet/ssh into the printer to access management software.

If it is a windows share....good luck....set a static ip and double check the share names/settings/permissions.

No, it's on a mac. The Java applet is not compatible with OSX.

Whatever it takes to install it, I am beyond interested in figuring it out. My time is precious. I spend most of my free time multitasking and while "working" I try to post on ATS, read financial articles and doing other things online that I enjoy. I don't plan on wasting any more of it on the printer.

discussions.apple.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
LMFAO

Hey Boncho,

I was just reading something about this, they deliberately mess with cheaper printers so they can justify having expensive ones.
Cheaper ones are actually more expensive to make as they have to make some additions to the chips in them so they run slower... SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Same with Intel chips...

I believe it. Whether or not it is done exactly that way, and consciously, is probably up for debate. But I can totally see a company assigning the misfits and morons in their roster to develop the latest economy system.

All the high end printers I own I have never had these problems. Whenever I buy a cheap one when I have temporary needs it seems to work like a burger for weightless.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by scorpiosin

Then you get them set up and they run out of ink or toner in a month!

Printer companies make so much off toner they actually sell many of their models at a loss, simply to get people to purchase them so they have future profitable sales.

In some sense I have no problem with this. Although, I purchased a Brother one time, found the "Shut off toner warning" command, and realized that it was stopping my printer from working with a low toner warning (setting).

The toner cartridges print about 20% more pages of the original capacity once the low-toner setting is shut off. Imagine that.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You should be able to install linux on to a flash drive and run the java applet on a live linux setup(the OS runs from the flash drive and wont touch your OS or data).

If you want to go this route.....Linux mint is probably the easiest option.

Good luck Boncho.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by boncho

You should be able to install linux on to a flash drive and run the java applet on a live linux setup(the OS runs from the flash drive and wont touch your OS or data).

If you want to go this route.....Linux mint is probably the easiest option.

Good luck Boncho.

I think I'll opt for downloading well endowed videos of bosoms, but thanks for the thought.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Yeah, and don't bother calling tech support either. You'll get a guy from India named "Brian" who doesn't have a clue. My husband and I have been down that route before.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The main reason is printing subsystems on Windows etc expect the printer to be on a fixed 'port'. Your router is probably giving the printer a different IP address on each boot of the printer and your OS cant track this.

Best bet is to give the printer a static (fixed) IP address and download and install the basic driver on the computer. Then change the 'port' that it prints to to the fixed IP address.

And yes large manufacturers tend to employ cheap graduates who really don't have a clue, especially on low profit products. A WiFi device can easily broadcast its IP address via UDP so its hosts know where it is to print to it.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by EasyPleaseMe

I'm on Mac, has nothing to do with what you are saying. Something to do with Java and OSX.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
LMFAO

Hey Boncho,

Same with Intel chips...

I believe it. Whether or not it is done exactly that way, and consciously, is probably up for debate. But I can totally see a company assigning the misfits and morons in their roster to develop the latest economy system.

All the high end printers I own I have never had these problems. Whenever I buy a cheap one when I have temporary needs it seems to work like a burger for weightless.

Actually, he's right boncho. I have a long history in the computer industry. If you knew all the shenanigans they intentionally pull on the public, you'd be looking to hang them from the nearest tree. Printer manufacturers are just one aspect of it.

On topic: First, most wireless printers are meant to work through a wireless router, not directly to the wireless card in your PC. Secondly, configure the wirelesss manually in the printer with an ip address and network password before installing the software on your PC. Once its connected to the router, installation will be much easier.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I said 'windows etc' not windows. My instructions still apply...

The basic driver for your printer won't use java.
edit on 29-12-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by EasyPleaseMe
reply to post by boncho

I said 'windows etc' not windows. My instructions still apply...

The basic driver for your printer won't use java.
edit on 29-12-2012 by EasyPleaseMe because: (no reason given)

It's all greek to me. If you lived near me I'd give you a 12 pack to set up. My friends are mostly computer illiterate so I don't see that happening though...

edit on 30-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I don't know if this will help or not, but Java is one of the few languages that OSx can handle.

On the driver disk, the windows install will have a file ending in .exe (executable) and the OSx install(if java) could/should have a file ending in .jar ......for example install.exe & install.jar

If you have a choice, try clicking on the .jar file.

It may just be a case of clicking on the right file on the driver/installation disk in order to get it to work.

new topics

top topics

join