It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loud boom heard across th UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
There's got to be something more to this.

The Ministry of Defense tonight confirmed that a loud bang heard over parts of England was in fact a sonic boom.

why would it be heard in so many places.

Residents in the West Midlands, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Somerset and Wiltshire reported hearing what sounded like an explosion at just after 6pm.

However, The Ministry of Defence said this evening that the noise was in fact a sonic boom from RAF aircraft, that had been authorized to go supersonic over land.

why?

The MoD later said that the two RAF Typhoons had taken off following an emergency call, transmitted on the wrong frequency, from a helicopter.

yeah right,
my spidy sense is tingling

link

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Can I ask why you dont think the explanation of a sonic boom is correct? i am not making any judgement about whether it is or isnt, but have you ever heard a sonic boom? It'll make your rearend pucker.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

can it be heard a hundred miles or more away

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by majestic3

That depends on how far the jet is traveling. It also depends on where it occurs.

Again, I am not saying that is definitely what they heard, but it is a plausible explanation, from what I know.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Wasn't this back in April this year? A helicopter radioed on wrong frequency which alerted authorities to a possible terrorist attack or something? I also heard it was an asteroid that flew through the atmosphere.
Never did hear the result of this story. Long forgotten at a guess.

I lived in Malmesbury Wiltshire at the time, and I heard it, and it sounded very much like a sonic boom. After all, the Salisbury plains are just round the corner with all manner of military machines operating. Not to mention the amount of RAF and USAF bases dotted around the areas.
edit on 28/12/77 by RobbieK because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Scientists have determined these sounds are acoustic gravity waves. Something technologicsl is producing these sounds and governments are trying hard to cover it up, so they dont get caught in the act of what there really doing with the tech. Ruining lives..

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthermantwo

Scientists have determined these sounds are acoustic gravity waves. Something technologicsl is producing these sounds and governments are trying hard to cover it up, so they dont get caught in the act of what there really doing with the tech. Ruining lives..

Can I get a source for that? I wouldnt mind reading a bit more on it.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

yeah you right.
I thought it was from today i heard a loud boom tonight that shook the windows an went online to see what it was and this story came up so i thought it was what i heard but the story is from THURSDAY 12 APRIL 2012 so it couldn't have been.
edit on 28-12-2012 by majestic3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by truthermantwo

Can I get a source for that? I wouldnt mind reading a bit more on it.

here's one, there's more out there. Do a search for strange sounds explained or something. i personally experience daily audio attacks utilizing the same technology the strange sounds were made by. And they thought they could cover this up..i would describe these booms as acoustic gravity bursts.
acoustic gravity waves
edit on 28-12-2012 by truthermantwo because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2012 by truthermantwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

Thanks! I appreciate it!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
if it was a sonic boom what could have gave that off?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

try watching this, it will give you a visual of what they are.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by majestic3

Still bares though that you heard a boom tonight, you just never know. Probably best checking out twitter or faceache see if anyone else in your area heard it. Could be something?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

Thanks,an interesting and sound explanation,pun intended.lol.

Can't say I heard these bangs,neither tonight or in April but,hey,we're always the last to get anything up here in the Highlands.lol.

Mind you,it's blowing such a gale tonight like I've not seen in years so I doubt I'd hear anything over the howl and roar of the winds but am just about to drive 30 miles to my home so if I hear any loud bangs i'll post on it here.

If a tree isn't blown down in front my car that is,hope not ~ touch wood !!!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
k i see thanks for the share truthermantwo i have never really looked into it and never really heard them so that explain it great!!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
wait so i do come back to this b/c what could have gave it off?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Can I ask why you dont think the explanation of a sonic boom is correct? i am not making any judgement about whether it is or isnt, but have you ever heard a sonic boom? It'll make your rearend pucker.

I've heard dozens of sonic booms -- and, no, they do not make your rear end pucker. In fact they don't do much of anything unless you are very very close. If the jet flies low, directly over your house, it will rattle the windows pretty well, but if it's still visible at some reasonable distance it's not even as loud as thunder.

Sonic boons, especially close ones, will get your attention. But then so does an isolated thunderclap.
edit on 28-12-2012 by BayesLike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

My only question is why so many of these sonic booms and over such a large area? I know here in the states, the government was supposed to have stopped flying jets super sonic over population areas. So why now, why so many, and why are they heard over such a large area?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rezlooper

My only question is why so many of these sonic booms and over such a large area? I know here in the states, the government was supposed to have stopped flying jets super sonic over population areas. So why now, why so many, and why are they heard over such a large area?

It was just one sonic boom in April. The aircraft were on a training programme already in operation and when the helicopter broadcasted on the wrong frequency, the two aircraft were in the air and ready to intercept. It was heard over a wide area because the counties Wiltshire, Oxfordshire, Hampshire etc are within close proximity of the aircraft. So they were pretty close to ground and pretty much on the boundaries of several counties. You know what I mean?

I haven't been aware of any other sonic booms since, however the OP mentioned he may have heard one tonight. So was looking for documentation online to support the noise, accidentally found a source from earlier in the year.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RobbieK

Sorry, I was talking about how there are many sonic booms here in the states. Not sure about you guys over there and whether your military flies supersonic jets over residential areas.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join