It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana Sinkhole Grows - Time-Lapse and Update

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
It would definately be interesting to see if someone has ever done tests on the water to see if there are traces of petroleum distillates, which is what they use for hydraulic Fracking (the process of pumping a toxic mixture of petroleum distillates under enormous pressure into underground shale deposits, which cracks the shale, releasing natural gas, which then travels back up to the surface.)

YOu may be onto something - a petroleum 'sheen' has been seen on the waters surface. SO if thats a sign of nearby fraking then perhaps this is whats causing the water level to rise.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by srsen

There seems a plethora of information out there on this, not sure why one needs to turn to the youtube moron Dutchsinse for information?

There are daily updates posted on these two websites:

www.deq.louisiana.gov...
dnr.louisiana.gov...

And here's a recent public briefing paper (PDF):

dnr.louisiana.gov...

Thanks for the links. Though to be honest, im not so sure i totally trust a government website on this one. Always good to know where to go for official info though.

For anyone interested, this is the latest entry from the site - 20 Dec 2012 Situation Summary:

Activities performed by LDEQ personnel on Thursday, December 20, 2012:

• Air monitoring was conducted in the Bayou Corne community. Two monitoring runs were completed. Parameters monitored included H2S, VOCs, LEL, and O2. All readings were 0 with normal O2 readings. Monitoring was conducted using an AreaRae.
• Air monitoring was conducted in the areas of the bubbling (boat run) in Bayou Corne. Parameters monitored included H2S, VOCs, LEL, and O2. All readings were 0 with normal O2. Monitoring was conducted using a MultiRae.
• Staff attended the State Agencies Meeting and the Incident Action Plan meeting.

NOTE: LDNR staff accompanied LDEQ staff on the monitoring runs.

Scheduled activities for Friday, December 21, 2012:

• Conduct air monitoring in the Bayou Corne community.
• Conduct air monitoring in the areas of bubbling (boat run) in Bayou Corne.
• Attend the Incident Action Plan meeting.
• Respond to citizens inquiries as needed.

NOTE: LDNR staff are scheduled to accompany LDEQ staff on the monitoring runs

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So looks like it's starting. The theorists where right

This is the future map of the US (If the US is still a nation by then):

US water map

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Always better to be prepared.

State highway officials say they’ll start a six-month study early next year into the feasibility of an alternative route around an eight-acre sinkhole in northern Assumption Parish, La. The Advocate says the study is the initial step the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development takes to consider a proposed highway. DOTD spokesman Dustin Annison says the study will determine if “the route could be built in the affected area in the event that Louisiana 70 is compromised.

www.claimsjournal.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

I think Hurricane Sandy was a worst case scenario.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

Well, I got deleted for it, I meant it in good humor, not as an attack

Apologies if I offended anyone...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
They all look the same to me honestly

Me too.

-and man, I can't believe how many people are actually starring and supporting the snarky rude comment you got!
So now ATS approves of that....???

Well, sorry to offend-I didn't mean it in a 'rude' fashion. I didn't realize sarcasm was outlawed..

I guess I SHOULD have said "Golly gee folks, you seriously can't see the encroaching water on the time lapse?"

Or added an /sarc

Again, apologies to the offended parties.

ETA: And to OP for the derail.
edit on 29/12/2012 by xquietonex because: more apologies

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I thought this video might be of interest:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd
They all look the same to me honestly

Me too.

-and man, I can't believe how many people are actually starring and supporting the snarky rude comment you got!
So now ATS approves of that....???

Haha and you get all the stars.
Seriously though, they all look the same, the pictures are just taken at different angles, and there are different volumes of rain water + season. And the water fluctuation didnt even matter that much.
edit on 29-12-2012 by WanderingThe3rd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Looks like the surrounding area is sinking somewhat. That would be expected because as water and other material come out, something is giving and sinking. I expected that to be happening. The land around here all sinks as springs leave their water out. The oil and gasses isn't good though, where is that stuff coming from?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The Governor must not be a very smart man. Think about it this is his Katrina he could be a hero if he would just crawl out his hole. If he ever plans on holding public office in the future he should get out in front of this issue.

To be honest I am kind of amazed. This is such a simple thing to play the hero unless he is so bought and paid for but that all will come out in the future unless this just goes away.
edit on 29-12-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Any thoughts into the possibility that it's a cenote? I've heard for some time now that Louisiana is sinking. What are the possibilities with the added factors of fracing and sea levels rising being contributors to this?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
looks like recently there's been a big jump..

how has rainfall been in this region over that time period, and more recently?
edit on 29-12-2012 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

Well I live in North Carolina, but all the weather we get usually comes up from the gulf and eventually makes it to our area dumping great amounts of rain sometimes, usually an inch or so. I'v seen my pond rise 8" over night, and it's two acres with a mean depth of 6-8 foot for at least one of those acres, tapering to the shorelines. All this weather comes up and past Bayu Corne, all the time dumping rain, there as well as here. Point is, it's not surprising that Bayu Corne would get enough rain to raise the water level at least temporarily. Remember, the water will flow to the mean level of the area and thus again look a bit shallower. It's true, there hasn't been much news of the area, but look what has occupied the news as of late...... the killings, the fiscal cliff, George Bush's health and such. Of course it's not front page .........yet. Lets hope it stays that way, but sadly the reality would suggest otherwise.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I live within 30 miles of that sinkhole.
I can tell you a few things:
One, we have had an exceptional amount of rain over the last week. All of the bayous and rivers are overflowing, so this alone will exacerbate the look in these photos.
Two, the sinkhole is certainly growing, and is expected to get worse.
Three, we have an acquaintance that has been working on the testing of the sinkhole, and my conversations with them leave me with no doubt that the government knows exactly what is causing the problem ( the person won't confirm any theories, just smiles and nods when you are close to the right idea. It sounds like the testers have been given their marching orders about staying mum about the event.)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by rimjaja
I live within 30 miles of that sinkhole.
I can tell you a few things:
One, we have had an exceptional amount of rain over the last week. All of the bayous and rivers are overflowing, so this alone will exacerbate the look in these photos.
Two, the sinkhole is certainly growing, and is expected to get worse.
Three, we have an acquaintance that has been working on the testing of the sinkhole, and my conversations with them leave me with no doubt that the government knows exactly what is causing the problem ( the person won't confirm any theories, just smiles and nods when you are close to the right idea. It sounds like the testers have been given their marching orders about staying mum about the event.)
Yes, it is going to grow and grow. Every storm we seem more trees falling in. When you refer to government are you only referring to LA government or are the feds also in the loop? Now regarding this smiling & nodding... they know what is causing the problem, well i would like to know also. I would like to know what is filling up the bottom of that collapsed cavern. I feel that there is more then collapsed wall and debris in there. And these burps.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The impression I get from them is that both state and federal govt is involved at this point. I wish I knew more, but anything else would be pure speculation on my part

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by rimjaja
The impression I get from them is that both state and federal govt is involved at this point. I wish I knew more, but anything else would be pure speculation on my part
All we basically have is speculation because the facts are slow in being released. The meetings are getting few and far between. I do not believe in this situation that no news is good news. I have stated that I believe the whole dome has been compromised. If you look at the map of the new road they are looking at building it is well away from the sinkhole.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Could someone who has been following this from the beginning give information on how much it has grown acreage-wise ? It looks like it is growing to me.

I also don't think most people are aware of the "relocation" issues faced by people in the area. I appreciate the work people are doing on this site to bring this situation to light. Obviously it is an ecological problem for wildlife (and people) in the area.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
in the pics previded, in my opinion look all the same size

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The pictures are slightly deceiving because they change angles and get further out. Also with the trees that keep falling in, the edge doesn't seem to change but it really has expanded. One mark I judge growth by is the landing area. The access road is almost gone and the water is now to the staging area. Some photos show the water going back into the trees and it is but after rains etc.. the edge trees fall in and a new perimeter is seen. Another spot I try to judge growth by is the right side of the pictures. It looks like a road or canal, the 1st picture shows like a grass path. That pathway is now water.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join