It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time we start calling ourselves "Earthlings" incase we find ET?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sandcastler

Implying that what our technology holds true for us holds true for them. Who knows maybe they have probes in space waiting for energy bursts so they can investigate. We do the same in our oceans for tsunamis since we can't watch 24/7.

Sure everything is speculative but if we are not united if we make first official contact we could be shooting ourselves in the foot just before a marathon. If there is just one ET life form there could be billions. Who knows maybe when we make contact we get thrown into a universe where planets do business on planet levels.

I'm just worried that we look like fools and we get cut off because of what's going on.

Something like 80% of people believe in ETs and that's enough for me to be concered about our planets image in the eyes of other ET

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by marbles87

I've read a couple science fiction classics that run along those lines, indeed. It's a fair idea and food for thought. In fact in the book Contact (and movie to a much lesser extent) there is a big debate over whether the plans for "The Machine" are actually a trojan horse to build our very own device of self-destruction. Now that would be a downright evil way for another Species to clear the deck, so to speak. Of course, it turns out that thinking was paranoid man all down the line and the Aliens end up being highly organized, intelligent and interested in contact ...slowly.

Another suggested a cyclical power/energy event that pretty well wipes out a good % of the Universe for higher order life forms on a regular looooong term cycle, so life never gets the chance to advance far enough each time.

You raise an excellent point though. We have seen the evils Nuclear weapons have caused in our hands. What would Warp drive technology or Time-Warp (Ala 'Event Horizon type theories) be used for? I see exploration beyond limit. A General Officer would probably see how lethal it could be to project that field ON a living thing.

Who knows... Maybe the bubble around our Solar System is artificial and the Voyagers are about to find the gatekeeper sitting there patiently waiting for one of them to pop free so we can be told to stay where we've been put and send nothing more out.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

To many very smart people screamed all their life "history always repeats itself" for me to throw away the notion. It just might be that peace was never part of our history and it is for others.

I think people are missing the point that I think it's time for us to start thinking about our planet working together when it comes to space.

And I know about the ISS and it's not people working together it's just countries trying to show its people they can play nice. If we really worked together in space the NK satellite wouldn't have failed.
edit on 28-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
I think people are missing the point that I think it's time for us to start thinking about our planet working together when it comes to space.

Agreed.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Self proclaimed "Terran" from the Sol system here.

Earthling sounds so 1950s low budget Sci-Fi

Yeah, i'd go with Terran as well.

Possibly mudite, at a pinch.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Damn can't us non ET catch a break. I'm tossing around ideas not concrete demands.

ET = other than earth human life form regardless of origin. Because as far as I know I am earth human ie earthling.
Might sound corny but it's fitting. Function > form
edit on 28-12-2012 by marbles87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
That is not the correct way to establish contact. The majority of humanity is dualistic in nature, so if there were to be one united humanity they would consider themselves "good" and all are on this side. The other side would be either "not good" as in evil or "non-existant".

Suppose 'we' would meet another species, to us their individuality does not exist so this will be very difficult to communicate. Even if any species were to allow themselves to be treated like they are either 'nobodies' or 'evil' (unless they do as humanity or 'good' says) just so they can reach us, humanity would view them as either evil or nonimportant (as in, no value for life) and they would not be treated well.

So if anything, humans wanting to communicate must first trancend good and evil, basically have no opinion on ET and allow the image they have of ET to be manipulated by ET, which to the human who is still dualistic in thought might appear as either good or bad.
edit on 28/12/2012 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

we are the Tau'ri

stargate.wikia.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragonfly79

I think you are thinking to much into an ideal contact with a very very highly advanced life form like energy beings of some kind. I don't think contact will be much differnt than two nations on earth making contact in context of how things will happen. There is no reason to believe that we need to evolve any higher to make contact, we could make contact tomorrow but we would just look like barbaric morons in their eyes probably.

I think language will be none issue. We will communicate with them telepathically regardless if you have done it before or not. It will be like a hacker taking over a 7 years old lap top they will do all they work and we will just play along.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join