It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another possible early image of Jesus Christ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Hello everyone.

Before I begin, I would like to let everyone know that this is my first thread and I apologize in advance for any errors.

Anyways Today I have stumbled across an interesting find while I was looking for early depictions of Jesus Christ and It is a story on the daily mail that is about how a Jesus-like image appears in the cover of one of these books.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The image is eerily familiar: a bearded young man with flowing curly hair. After lying for nearly 2,000 years hidden in a cave in the Holy Land, the fine detail is difficult to determine. But in a certain light it is not difficult to interpret the marks around the figure’s brow as a crown of thorns.

The extraordinary picture of one of the recently discovered hoard of up to 70 lead codices – booklets – found in a cave in the hills overlooking the Sea of Galilee is one reason Bible historians are clamouring to get their hands on the ancient artefacts.

If genuine, this could be the first-ever portrait of Jesus Christ, possibly even created in the lifetime of those who knew him.

The tiny booklet, a little smaller than a modern credit card, is sealed on all sides and has a three-dimensional representation of a human head on both the front and the back. One appears to have a beard and the other is without. Even the maker’s fingerprint can be seen in the lead impression. Beneath both figures is a line of as-yet undeciphered text in an ancient Hebrew script. Astonishingly, one of the booklets appears to bear the words ‘Saviour of Israel’ – one of the few phrases so far translated. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I have not seen a post like this yet, what do you guys think about its authenticity?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sneaglebob12

I have not seen a post like this yet, what do you guys think about its authenticity?

The post or the picture...?

www.thesacredpage.com...

danielomcclellan.wordpress.com...

paleojudaica.blogspot.com...

edit on 27-12-2012 by facelift because: add a link

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Congratulations on your first thread! Starred and flagged. I also took the liberty of resizing the pic for you and will place it here on your behalf.

As for opinion? I'll have to do some research and digging before I develop one. Interesting story. I love history!

~Heff

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

The post

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Looks like these bad boys...

edit on 27-12-2012 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Good thread, what a way to introduce yourself to ATS: Hey everyone, here's a picture of Jesus. Nice work. As for the picure itself, it looks like Jesus may have posed for it, sort of like celebs pose for Annie Leibowitz, and I'm sure he insisted they get his best side.

This entire cache of "booklets" sounds interesting, it's nice that these type of things are still being discovered.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Excellent find! This the stuff ATS is made of.

A pic from your link:

It says that the covers and pages are made of lead and bound by lead eyelets. I know that lead decays back into its oxide (the white stuff) and that would pick up the iron oxide looking brown stuff. Those look really old.

Her's another link to read about it...

www.fgcp.org...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Welcome! What a great first thread!

After reading the article, I see nothing that would indicate anybody can show it was Jesus. It's all speculation. It could be anybody or just a face.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Great discussion fodder.

To me, it looks more like a Greek image, with the "crown of thorns" being an olive wreath, like an Olympian or something.

the positioning of the head would even seem to match quite closely to that seen on the Venus in "The Birth of Venus". The "S" shape applied to a human form has a long and storied history, and to me seems to be represented in the image in the OP.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Wow
That is fascinating stuff,thanks for posting.
S&F or you my friend.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The picture is not of a face.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hmm... this is the 'early image of Christ' from the OP;

Now it has me wondering if that old woman who did the Christ 'restoration' didn't know more than she's letting on...

edit on 28-12-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
F&S 4U!
Great article find...I really enjoyed reading it.
What also intrigues me is the fact stated in the article that parts of it are written in an unknown language which appears to be related to Phoenician.

Unlike the Dead Sea Scrolls, the lead codices appear to consist of stylised pictures, rather than text, with a relatively small amount of script that appears to be in a Phoenician language, although the exact dialect is yet to be identified. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This reminds me of another thread here about a mystery artifact which has similar unknown Phoenician-related script: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Necronomicon loo

Interesting to say the least good find OP

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Jesus must have had some interesting body proportions...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Also I found another site that is about the Jordan Codices. From what I see it seems that the author of the website is inerpreting some of the covers of the books as star maps of some kind.

How do I make images appear on the threat instead of making them as links?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Nice find, and an nteresting object, but after all this time the soft lead has been crushed so that it's difficult to see what the image looked like. Darn shame... the work on the book is beautifully done.

The earliest images of Jesus actually show him with short hair and no beard. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
finally tracked down the original!

edit on 29-12-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

also btw that looks way more like Zeus
edit on 29-12-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
No, he had blonde hair and blue eyes.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The key might be what the text says. Just because theres an image of a person doesnt necessarily mean its Jesus christ. Especially when there in no real evidence I know of that he actually existed other than the bible stories/myths about him that were written over a hundred years after he was alledgedly crucified.

edit on 29-12-2012 by Mike.Ockizard because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join