It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Wars Episode VII is a go, whether you like it or not. So where should Disney go with it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I have a confession to make. I didn't mind the new trilogy of Star Wars. Yes I said it. Wasn't a huge fan, but really didn't mind it.

Sure it had it's terrible moments (Jar Jar Binks Exsqueezeme anyone?), and really just turned one of the most kickass bad guys in cinematic history into some poor guy that you were meant to feel sorry for (I think). Yes, it had it's bad moments and more, but overall, watchable, especially towards the end.

Of course with the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney, something that had many fans of the Star Wars brand doing their own Vader rendition of the NOOOOOO at the end of Revenge of the Sith, Disney followed up with the announcement that they will be continuing the series with Episode VII, to be released in 2015.

The question is, which way should they go with the story? I really can't see the original three protagonists making an appearance in anything more than a cameo capacity (perhaps Mark Hamill being the exception), so who should be the new Luke, Leia and Han?

For many Star Wars fan, the saga continued on in novels with the release of The Thrawn Trilogy or the Heir to the Empire series.

Heir to the Empire is part of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, and takes place five years after the events of Return of the Jedi. The Rebel Alliance has destroyed the Death Star, defeated Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine, and driven out the remnants of the old Imperial Starfleet to a distant corner of the galaxy. Princess Leia and Han Solo are married and expecting twins. Luke Skywalker has become the first in a long-awaited new line of Jedi Knights.

Thousands of light years away, Grand Admiral Thrawn, the last of the Emperor's Warlords, has taken command of the shattered Imperial Fleet, readied it for war, and pointed it at the fragile heart of the New Republic. Thrawn is searching for a Dark Jedi and is succeeding in restoring the Empire.

This series, more than the subsequent follow up novels really stood out to me, along with the Jedi Academy Series, and would be a good series to base the next films on.

Agree? Disagree? Like it or not (I'm still in the 'coming to terms with it' not basket), Episode VII is on the way. So where should they go with it?

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Where should they go with it?

If it is anything like the last three, Hopefully the next one goes right to the shredder.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
More Jar-Jar!
Seriously though, if John Carter was any indication, Disney will destroy what Lucas killed.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TFCJay

One could only hope. Sadly, I think it's a go whether the fans want it or not. IMO it peaked in 1983, and should have been left. If they're going to do anything, it should be a Clone Wars style series between ROTS and ANH, and leave the next trilogy in the books, where it belongs.

edit on 27/12/2012 by 74Templar because: typos

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Some time ago, I ran across an already finished story line for all three movies, supposedly written by George himself. I can't find that site at present, but this site looks like it might be the same scripts I read...

Star Wars 7, 8, 9

edit on 12/27/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

MORE Jar Jar???

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hmmm 5 years after Return....

How about a new Vader ? Another son that no one else knew about, who is as evil....

Would be cool to get, Hamill, Fisher and Ford back.

oh... and no more Jar Jar...

edit on 27-12-2012 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

It just seems like more of the same doesn't it?

I liked the books because they took the story in new and interesting directions without losing the originality of the original movies. Hopefully, if Disney are going to wreck the Star Wars franchise, they can keep the stories similar and not take it off on some completely new tangent.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The fun part will be seeing what ethnic group gets upset that they are being stereotyped.

Its just a movie!

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

This is where Thrawn was really good. He was badass, kind of like what Vader was before the new trilogy just turned him into a sook. Some of the things he did in the books was easily on par with Vader's evil.

I could see Mark Hamill, maybe Carrie Fisher, but Harrison Ford? I think Disney would be pushing to get him back for another three, he didn't even want to be in Jedi.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I don't know how good it'll be if they try and stick with the fan fiction that took off from the story. I seem to recall more than one path of story line and not necessarily workable with each other. Much like the different strings of Star Trek fan fiction did.. Great books ..but I'm not sure how well it fits.

I don't know...I'm probably just mentally hung up on the power of Vader and the other main characters from the first 3..when they were the only 3...literally defining the movie. I can't imagine actual movies out without the same people. Time in story wouldn't even be far enough out to use other actors in a way that feels right?

I'm thinking 6 movies probably told the story that was there to tell. That's me tho..

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'm thinking 6 movies probably told the story that was there to tell. That's me tho..

I have to agree totally. Left to the fans, and anyone with at least half a brain, they'd leave it where it is. Lucas's original vision was to have a story of redemption from father to son, and Jedi really wrapped that story up. Anything else just seems tacked on IMO.

If they're going to do anything, it should be a Clone Wars style CGI TV series or even a movie following the after effects of Ep3 and leading into Ep4. As a fan that would be something I'd be willing to watch. Following an already completed story with another three movies that have been pretty much covered in books anyway is just Disney money-making off their new toy really...

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I just read the supposed treatments, for the next three installments, as linked earlier.

If those are accurate, then they need to abort mission. I won't give any spoilers away, just in case.... let me simply say that:

A) It reads like Lucas - so they are either legit, or well informed and knowledgeable fakery..
B) This is the man who was thrilled to bring you Ewoks, Jar Jar Binks, and a little blonde Darth Vader....

Pray that it's option "A", that Disney aborts the project, or that they hire their own writers. The latter is not likely since Lucas is retaining some level of creative control, by proxy, through Kathleen Kennedy ( I believe - I'm too tired to look it up, so I might be wrong. )

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
They need to start a new trilogy

I want a fresh new Star Wars, like 1000 years into their future.. where they left a secret decoded message to a future alliance or something.. where Darth Vader's empire was only but a piece amongst a UNIVERSAL EMPIRE...something dope..

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

The amount of times there was a 'official script' or 'leaked script' during the Ep 1-3 days, and none of them even came close because Lucas hadn't officially written them. I'm thinking the same with this. Many many people write their dream script of what they'd like to see, and all this stuff winds up on the internet.

Given the fact they'd be struggling to get the original three actors onboard, and most likely aimed at kids more than the 30-40 year olds that grew up with the original story, I would think they'd either go away from that line into something new, or get all new actors. Either way, I do hope you're right, that this winds up being shelved. I'm not sure Kathleen Kennedy, or even Spielberg as an executive would save this one.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

They could quite easily do that, I mean even drawing from the extended universe. Clone Wars has proven that, the possibilities are endless.

Later in the book series they had the Yuzang Vhong invasion, when the Solo kids were grown up. Something like that even wouldn't be a bad idea.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

, but this site looks like it might be the same scripts I read...

I just want to say that that site is fake. Supershadow or whoever he really is claims to know George Lucas and be friends with him. He does not and it is lies.

I know because I followed the site for a few years prior to Revenge of the Sith being released and it suddenly became apparent that everything I'd read was garbage. I also read a comment from Lucasfilm saying that Supershadow was a fraud and he just made stuff up.

I wish they'd leave Star Wars alone. I hardly recognise it anymore.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I look forward to a new death star with satellite dishes strategically placed to resemble Mickey Mouse ears.
Sorry I don't have Photo shop to show you.
Perhaps they could have a Mickey Vader character.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
The fun part will be seeing what ethnic group gets upset that they are being stereotyped.

Its just a movie!

As a Brit I was offended by consistently being portrayed as the bad guys on the Death Star.

Maybe they can get piers Morgan to be one of the generals on a new Death Star.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The guy hired to pen VII, Michael Arndt, wrote Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine so, either he's got another trick up his sleeve or the next installment will suck.

I recall, when I was a kid, that Lucas had said he had 9 stories mapped out, a trilogy of trilogies. If that's the case, then he has the framework for the next three laid out, somewhere, and that is where they'll start when Arndt starts writing the script. Of course, Lucas was also said to be working on a live action tv show, with bunch of scripts already written, so who knows.

What we do know is that they will be written with merchandising in mind and they will, most likely, be geared towards a younger demographic so expect more ewoks and binkses to be gracing the screen and assaulting your sense of good filmmaking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join