It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question for aussies about guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
hi all

since this gun debate has blown up ive seen alot of comments about australias gun control, and how america should follow thier example..

we can all agree that the recent mass shootings were not commited by law abiding citizens right?

and we can agree that most of them were planned for weeks if not months before they were carried out

So my question to aussies is this..

If you decided you needed to get a gun could you?

I bet anyone in australia knows someone that can get them a gun.. and if you can get 1 you can get 2 or 3

So then with weeks or months of planning you could easily stockpile weapons right. ?

so how does that help law abiding citizens?
edit on 24-12-2012 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Seems I just read a story about Aussi Port Personnel being involved in arms importation....this is the only story I can find atm....
www.portlincolntimes.com.au...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParanoidAmerican
reply to post by goou111

Seems I just read a story about Aussi Port Personnel being involved in arms importation....this is the only story I can find atm....
www.portlincolntimes.com.au...

thats the point... its easier to get them illegally here lol

so I was just wondering how easy it is to get them in the uk or australia..

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
It's probably possible to get a gun, but stockpiling would be rather difficult. I personally don't think I know the right people to be able to get one illegally, nor would I like to associate with them.

Owning guns isn't really the issue, it's the number of them available. If people have less access to them, then these tragedies may not happen. That's my opinion.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaesDaemar
It's probably possible to get a gun, but stockpiling would be rather difficult. I personally don't think I know the right people to be able to get one illegally, nor would I like to associate with them.

Owning guns isn't really the issue, it's the number of them available. If people have less access to them, then these tragedies may not happen. That's my opinion.

but if you were hell bent on getin one it would be easy...

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Getting 'a gun' is not all that difficult. But for the average law abiding (more or less) citizen, getting a gun that shoots straight, does not jam or is useful is quite difficult. You can not get hold of a gun of your choice nor could you get a semi-auto.

You would also have problems getting ammo. You need to have a gun license for ammo.

The only real option is to wait for SHTF and then take one from the bad guys. Getting hold of a damn good scoped hunting rifle in almost any caliber is easy with a license.

P

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I believe Australia has struck a reasonable balance between firearms access and restrictions... however, I highly doubt that this model would be embraced in the US by her citizens even if it were able to be enacted, nor would it effectively reduce firearm fatalities to a level deemed not news worthy.

Australia still has a high rate of civilian gun ownership

Disclaimer: The above table doesn't represent overall country rankings of gun ownership per 1000 population - they are selected countries for comparison purposes.

Firearms are still acquirable for legitimate purposes, albeit, tight restrictions and conditions apply.

Were a person wanting to obtain a firearm illegally, they more than likely would be able to within the weeks/months prior to their plan.

so how does that help law abiding citizens?

If the nut-job were motivated enough, not much would help apart from early detection/intervention or a random act/event that prevents the persons intentions from being carried out.
edit on 24-12-2012 by Perhaps because: add

edit on 25-12-2012 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Well lets put it this way... it's essentially impossible just to get a gun [legally] to keep in your home to protect your premises, unless you get a gun license, which typically requires membership at a gun club. I'm sure some one will expand on this more, I'm not 100% certain how it all works because I've never attempted to own a gun.
edit on 24/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

No, the people I know who have guns wouldn't give me one if I was hell bent on getting one. Otherwise, I wouldn't know where to start.
edit on 24-12-2012 by DaesDaemar because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2012 by DaesDaemar because: Spelling!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Well lets put it this way... it's essentially impossible just to get a gun [legally] to keep in your home to protect your premises, unless you get a gun license, which typically requires membership at a gun club. I'm sure some one will expand on this more, I'm not 100% certain how it all works because I've never attempted to own a gun.
edit on 24/12/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

ok but im really more curious about illegally.. again because its not law abiding citizens who commit mass murder

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

And I too have no idea where to get an illegal gun in Australia.

Why would I?

Is America really such a hell hole?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by spangledbanner

Why would I?

wow wasnt trying to start a bash america or bash australia thread

but i guess bashing america is a great way to troll for stars

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Guns are pretty easy to get in Australia . Walk down to any biker clubhouse or most tattoo places with a few bucks and youl leave with what you want lol.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666
Guns are pretty easy to get in Australia . Walk down to any biker clubhouse or most tattoo places with a few bucks and youl leave with what you want lol.

that is what i assumed.. i wanted people to put the gun control debate aside and just say yeah i could get one if i really wanted one

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Ha! I would do it for free.

I find it a bit silly to suggest that Australians can just get a gun if they want one. Or are "hell bent" or whatever.

Gun owners must have their guns locked up in a safe that is bolted to the ground. I live in the country and most people I know have guns. I have no way of getting my hands on a gun if I happen to flip out and go insane.

Gun safe.

And I do get annoyed when I see how relaxed most Americans are about guns. All guns should be in a secure safe and not easy to get.

And what I mean is that there are many saying that making guns illegal wont stop Americans from getting them.
Well it will if you are not a criminal. Most Australians are not criminals and do not associate with criminals.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

No he's not bashing America. He asked a question and yes it is obviously our own government is talking about gun control here.

If they take away our guns, violence will raise. Can we get any crazier? Yes!

Why would I?

wow wasnt trying to start a bash america or bash australia thread

but i guess bashing america is a great way to troll for stars

edit on 25-12-2012 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2012 by sylent6 because: mods delete this now. having issues commenting

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666

No, that won't happen... getting your name on the "missing persons" list is about all you will achieve there.
edit on 25-12-2012 by Perhaps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I live in a rural area and most farmers own firearms for animal control. As we have a lot of farmers I'd imagine this would elevate the statistics for guns per 1,000 of population.

Anyone who has a gun must register to own a firearm and store the firearm in a gun safe or lockable cupboard. They must also secure their ammunition in a separate location away from the firearm safe. The two are never to be kept together. Guns are never carried on their person (except when in use on their property), nor in a motor vehicle. They are usually very careful to comply with these directions.
edit on 25-12-2012 by heffo7 because: for clarity

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

reply to post by goou111

. Most Australians are not criminals and do not associate with criminals.

so you know most australians??

so if your neighbors all have guns seems to me it would be pretty easy to get a gun illegally to commit mass muder

i mean you could just kill your neigbors and take theirs right? whats one more?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

reply to post by goou111

Ha! I would do it for free.

I find it a bit silly to suggest that Australians can just get a gun if they want one. Or are "hell bent" or whatever.

Gun owners must have their guns locked up in a safe that is bolted to the ground. I live in the country and most people I know have guns. I have no way of getting my hands on a gun if I happen to flip out and go insane.

Gun safe.

And I do get annoyed when I see how relaxed most Americans are about guns. All guns should be in a secure safe and not easy to get.

And what I mean is that there are many saying that making guns illegal wont stop Americans from getting them.
Well it will if you are not a criminal. Most Australians are not criminals and do not associate with criminals.

again i am not tryin to bash Australia

I dont give a s--- about your opinion on gun control for it or against it

but if you have lived for at least 25 years then by god you know a guy that can get you a gun..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join