It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny, rocky island subject of dispute between Canada and United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
at 10:33 on December 24, 2012, EST. "snippet"
Kevin Bissett, The Canadian Press
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printMore Sharing Services1FREDERICTON - A tiny island between New Brunswick and Maine is the subject of renewed calls from both sides of the border to settle a territorial dispute once and for all.

Machias Seal Island is a flat, treeless piece of rock located about 19 kilometres southwest of Grand Manan Island at the mouth of the Bay of Fundy.

The island is a sanctuary for many kinds of seabirds including the Atlantic Puffin and draws visitors from around the world to observe them in the summer.

There are no permanent human residents on the island, just pairs of lightkeepers who spend 28 days at a time maintaining a lighthouse operated by the Canadian Coast Guard. The original lighthouse was built by the British in 1832, and a lighthouse has been maintained there ever since.

So why would anyone even care which country gets title to Machias Seal Island?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>couldnt get my link to work....

720 sq kilometers of ocean.......

It will be interesting to watch how the US Gov handles this dispute, which is obviously a grab for the lobster fishing grounds and under sea rights....
Unless i miss my estimate, Canada has run the lighthouse since the Brits pulled out....
which stems back to 1832....whats to dispute? and why NOW? after nearly 200 yrs?
The Canadians would seem to have have clear ownership......
This little set to, i hope will illustrate to Canadians just how deeply the Harper Gov has sold out to Washington....
In the past few years, Canada has been an obvious lap dog of US hedgimony.........in turn a puppet of Israel
The mettle of the Harper Gov, will now be revealed.....
I hope Canadians are paying attention....
::

edit on 24-12-2012 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
dont you knwo american has to OWN everything!!! WE OWN THE WORLD bro

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Merry Christmas Canada here's an island!!!

I hereby declare the dispute settled

But seriously it makes me shake my head at my country sometimes, I love most things about it but some things are bass ackwards. Why get pushy with our brothers to the north over an island.... I mean we have alaska the maine and plenty of other resources for lobster and crab or what have ya. And its not like you havent maintained the island and lighthouse. This is just silly.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Far as I'm concerned, that light-house is operated for the Canadian Coast-Guard, and as-such, is ours. The American government needs to kindly remove their head from our rears. I'm really starting to get sick of them trying to bully us around just because we're close to them, and have a peaceful (some may say pussified) stance when it comes to foreign affairs. The sad thing is, our government is probably going to bow out yet again. And yet Americans wonder why anti-Americanism is rampant up here. Maybe if their government wasn't run by bullies that wouldn't be the case.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Nope, you just think you do. That's the genius behind it. Everything that you guys "own" on an international level was acquired through massive loans which are accrued as debt that you, the taxpayers are now footed with. America doesn't own anything. The banking conglomerate is merely using the largest military infrastructure the world has ever known to their own ends. Debt = control, my friend, and you guys are up to your ears in it. I honestly feel really bad for the average Joe American, as you guys are being thrown under the bus and alot of you don't even realize it.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Toughie when you look at the map:

Could go either way BUT wouldn't one think that squatters rights apply here?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is more of a local issue and not one that anybody at a national level cares about. It seems the only people who have ever been on the island are canadian light house keepers, US Marinse in WW1, and American bird watchers who take tour boat to see the birds. Clearly this island ownership is important to nobody and thus will no one will ever be bothered to take it before a legal body to find out.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Why can't we just share it? Like a mutual zone for whatever..

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Because the economic fishing rights have to be granted to somebody.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
Why can't we just share it? Like a mutual zone for whatever..

Like this.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

Far as I'm concerned, that light-house is operated for the Canadian Coast-Guard, and as-such, is ours. The American government needs to kindly remove their head from our rears. I'm really starting to get sick of them trying to bully us around just because we're close to them, and have a peaceful (some may say pussified) stance when it comes to foreign affairs. The sad thing is, our government is probably going to bow out yet again. And yet Americans wonder why anti-Americanism is rampant up here. Maybe if their government wasn't run by bullies that wouldn't be the case.

APPLAUSE
Couldn't have said it better...except..
Keep your damn claws off our lobster.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx

APPLAUSE
Couldn't have said it better...except..
Keep your damn claws off our lobster.

And don't give us the crabs.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. This could actually be a bargaining chip later. There's bigger fish to fry, pun intended, in the Arctic. Loads of natural resources there and 5 countries are vying for it. Including Canada and the US.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Already ours.

Clearly within 200 mi.

Methinks there's some kind of resource on that island, other than seals

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
OK you can have it just invite us up for a few beers......wait,the government might not like that. Wait until someone who isn't attacking the country gets voted in,we are having issues.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Wonder what its used for.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, and Merry Christmas, all,...i hope Santa was generous and practical this year.....
with" bob"s for all...

They must be going cheap right now since the 21 st.....

Nothing seems to put a stone in a Cnaucks moccasins like the US casting its jundiced eyes upon some asset or other which we possess....
Youd have thought there would have been some kind of SHTF when Harper sold out to red China in the oil patch....or BC sold out to same in the coal mines....
We cant even get Canadian miners working in That &*^% chinese mine....They bring in workers who have bought and paid for these jobs in China....oooo the corruption is rampant in the peoples republic too!
But this weeny piece of rock stuck up like a pimple in the bay of Fundy gets our dander ...
Because why?
Our traditional Big Buddy, is picking on us again....and we cant stand that snip!
Ya gotta laugh...
It seems EVERYBODY wants peace on earth................................................................................................................as long as they get the biggest piece...........

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Too Funny!

Personally, Im for the Canadians to keep it.

Christmas Gift!!!!!

top topics

join