It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The very strange case of Enoch Soames, time travel, Teller, my friend's dad, and his unique photo.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
S&F! This was a great read, and thanks for taking the time to put this post together!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Who in his right mind would agree to such a deal?

What if the future he was shown, in fact became that which convinced him to give up on his writing, and never make that one great poem that would influence peoples minds toward good?

Clever devil, I'd say...

This is the first time I have ever heard this story, and it comes to me at a very serendipitous time in my life...
The time frames involved are also highly coincidental to an ongoing event of this nature happening in my own life...

And I can't help but realize that some...perhaps many, are in "the wings", like Teller and many of the others who knew of this mans arrival...frighteningly interesting.

edit on 23-12-2012 by Khurzon because: wasnt meant to be a reply

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm all in for it for being an elaborate hoax, but wow, what a great story. It's a cool way to point out the pitfalls of getting a big head and applies very much to some of us and our posts that will vanish into the ether. In many ways, we're all Enoch Soames and in a 100 years will be forgotten too. We don't have to sell out the horny horned one to find out!!

I love the way it's presented in the OP too...thumbs up from me

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Khurzon

What if the future he was shown, in fact became that which convinced him to give up on his writing, and never make that one great poem that would influence peoples minds toward good?

Oh so you're saying perhaps it was the event of 1897 itself that created or amended to the future timeline which we are on now, regarding the historical documentation on him?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Very cool story, and Teller would be the guy to pull this off.

Their BS show on Showtime was always entertaining.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by manmental

Definately a staged event.... those two are jokers!!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Staged,hoax,fraud

As for time travel, we all travel through time. However, it is not possible to 'jump' from one particular point in time to another. We could alter our experience of passing time, but thats about it. Jumps through time, skipping time, is not possible.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlySolo
reply to post by Khurzon

Oh so you're saying perhaps it was the event of 1897 itself that created or amended to the future timeline which we are on now, regarding the historical documentation on him?

Possibly but not necessarily. The devil, being an powerful angel, would know the future already, and very likely be able to recreate it in facsimile for his sole experience...or yes, it could be genuine time travel...

Hard to say when dealing with the supernatural...

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by manmental

I sent Teller the link in an email...we shall see if we get a response.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Awesome story. Is it from a novel?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by cyberjedi
Staged,hoax,fraud

As for time travel, we all travel through time. However, it is not possible to 'jump' from one particular point in time to another. We could alter our experience of passing time, but thats about it. Jumps through time, skipping time, is not possible.

Interesting Read

Spiro

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sorry. Teller sets up "mysterious" events like this for a living. Also why would man working there have a camera. Wouldn't he jeopardize his job bringing cameras to work every day? Doesn't make sense he just happened to have one.

Good read though!

Eta. This was time before cell phone cameras. Teller and huy posted pictures both say just regular camera as well.
edit on 23-12-2012 by RightlyCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Love the story, OP. Well-deserved star & flag. I think it's a nice little set-up but what a fun read. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Great story and to think you have an indirect link to it, something to tell the grandkids eh ?

Thanks for the links as well - never heard of the story before today.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Excellent OP. And to have been there in the Round Reading Room would only have been better. Whether staged or true it would have been something to tell the kids and grandkids.

Thanks for the read!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Of course just because Teller may have seen someone wearing period costume, does not mean that it was Enoch Soames.

If the Benjamin Franklin wrote that he traveled to the year 2000 in Times Square, then I'm sure there would be some jokers who would dress up like him and show up.

Of course, that doesn't mean that his story isn't true.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I really enjoyed this! Thank you so much.

I look forward to more stories like this.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
An obscure cult-story, no doubt one in the audience hired an actor, or the actor himself was a big fan, I wouldn't have been afraid, I'd sat down and asked him bout his cloak. Cool story though.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I went bavk and read the Esquire article, it's fantastic. It makes me want to see Penn and Teller live. It spoils the story a little by almost saying the Enoch was hired by him but it doesnt actually say it.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I am so pleased the story resonates with so many of you too! I enjoyed putting it together. There aren't enough good time travel stories.

Thanks for the message about the Teller comment... that makes me glad that he knows about the picture.

It wouldn't be unusual for my friends dad to carry around a small camera, as he enjoys photography. I too wish he'd got more pictures!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join