It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The real meaning of "Love your enemy".

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by Snaffers
Luke 19:27
"But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me."

Your quote is out of context and part of a parable (an allegorical tale, usually with a moral lesson) about the actions of an unpopular, sociopath king. Jesus was not advocating that anyone should kill people.

I read more. You were right. Now it makes sense.
My fault.
Thank you

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

That's right. Children shouldn't learn anything in the first grade because they should stay focused on the second grade. And children in the second grade should focus only on the third grade. Married people should focus only on their next marriage. Employees should focus only on their bosses' job. I guess the point is to never live in the NOW, which is the attitude of someone that can't make it in this world. I think they're called quitters or failures or unsuccessful. This must be one of thee most foolish statements of Jesus.

are you suggesting that first graders should live as if first grade is the end? Just enjoy, watch cartoons etc and then be surprised when they fail?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by logical7
reply to post by jiggerj

That's right. Children shouldn't learn anything in the first grade because they should stay focused on the second grade. And children in the second grade should focus only on the third grade. Married people should focus only on their next marriage. Employees should focus only on their bosses' job. I guess the point is to never live in the NOW, which is the attitude of someone that can't make it in this world. I think they're called quitters or failures or unsuccessful. This must be one of thee most foolish statements of Jesus.

are you suggesting that first graders should live as if first grade is the end? Just enjoy, watch cartoons etc and then be surprised when they fail?

Be with what is present. It is the gift (present) after all.
Always wanting what is next is what makes misery.

Amazingly the mind makes things up - where does the post you replied to say anything about watching cartoons?
edit on 23-12-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Why not assume that now is forever? Have you ever known anything but now. Now is the presence of the lord. Time is a idea arising presently. All arises presently, nothing can arise any other 'time'.

NOW is forever. But would you stay in your body forever? We are not immortals and as you say IT never end. so we need to worry about that IT, not want to call it afterlife, ok call it afterdeath.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

reply to post by Itisnowagain

Why not assume that now is forever? Have you ever known anything but now. Now is the presence of the lord. Time is a idea arising presently. All arises presently, nothing can arise any other 'time'.

NOW is forever. But would you stay in your body forever? We are not immortals and as you say IT never end. so we need to worry about that IT, not want to call it afterlife, ok call it afterdeath.

The body is an appearance. All that can be known is the appearance.
What sees and knows the appearance that is appearing presently will never die because it was never born.
Now is forever and you cannot separate yourself from now, you are now (presence).

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I think it's pretty simple really. To treat others as I want to be treated, and to help others in their needs whenever I can.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne

Unfortunately, these teachings have no place in today's competitive world. It would be impractical for one to love their enemy and turn the other cheek. Could it be that those teachings have become outdated? If not, what was the real purpose of those teachings?

On the contrary, my good friend. Loving our enemy is the greatest form of revenge.

Also, if one's enemies are great, then he too must be great enough to afford such enemies.

It kind of is....
Romans 12:17-20

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

And when it says, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," I think it is referring to the circumstances in the enemy's life; God is teaching your enemy about the ramifications of what happened. Kind of like Karma, but not really.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkOrpOin
(If I say something that is right, then God has inspired me. If I say something that is wrong, then it is my own mistake.)

I like that phrase, sounds like something Jesus might have said…

The real purpose of Jesus' teachings was not merely so his followers could be seen as "nice" people. It was not so his followers could distinguish themselves and acquire some sort of an elite status in this world. And it was definitely not to turn his followers into 'push-overs'.

Yes, I agree with this, Jesus was not saying that people should just lie down while others work injustice and unrighteousness. Jesus himself is a perfect example of this, like when he turned over the tables in the temple, and when he stood up to the Pharisees, by pointing out their hypocrisies.

So Yeah, Jesus is not saying to become push-overs, in any way, shape or form.

My thoughts on the real reason why Jesus told his followers to "love the enemy" and "forgive their persecutors" was so they could gain rewards and blessings in heaven... AFTER life ends here on earth. Which is why he said that there is no reward in merely loving those who love you back.

Good thoughts, and I agree with them as well. I would also add, that Jesus is also talking about honoring God, in the here and now. And IMO the “turning of the other cheek”, is essentially about keeping Gods Commandments.

Remember, Jesus' repeatedly taught not to be attached to THIS world, but instead to stay focused on the NEXT world.

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I believe by this Jesus meant that our treasures can only be stored in Spirit or the Spiritual Realm. It’s kind of right up there, with how difficult it is for a rich man to enter heaven etc…with material things having little value there, only forgiveness, kindness and love, are real tangible things within the Kingdom.

Do you work for treasures here on this mortal world... treasures that can be diminished or go bad? Or do you work for treasures in the afterlife that will always remain and be yours?

A difficult question, for me to answer because I don’t go along with the standard Christian perspective.

I believe that on the day that I received the “Holy Spirit”, was the day that I entered the Kingdom, and that it is a Spiritual Kingdom. So the treasures I now try to build, are to do with Spiritual truths, and the helping of people to find those truths. But not by forcing people to believe what I believe, but by just gently encouraging and planting small seeds, so that people can find God via their own Journey.

I consider this to be treasure enough, in and of itself.

Peace be with you…

- JC

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

So the treasures I now try to build, are to do with Spiritual truths, and the helping of people to find those truths. But not by forcing people to believe what I believe, but by just gently encouraging and planting small seeds, so that people can find God via their own Journey.

I consider this to be treasure enough, in and of itself.

I try and "plant" seeds. I usually say a truth. Then I would say something I would do in a circumstance they are facing, but then I proceed to tell the person not everything is black and white and the circumstance is all personal and there are a lot of variables involved so my way is not always going to be their way, but there are similar foundations. I also tell the person that he/she will know what to do because I have faith they will. I try and not to use religious terms as sometimes it would detract the person; I try to communicate in a way that would relate to them, but if the person is a believer, I always try and tell the person to talk to God about the issue.
edit on 23-12-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

I'm saying that first graders should experience the first grade. If they do it well, then they go to the second grade without ever thinking or worrying about it. To deprive themselves of one subject means to fail the first grade.

Just as we should experience this life (all of it, with all our emotions and with all of our human-ness) without wasting a minute of it on what comes next. To turn away from our needs and wants means (like in the first grade) to deprive ourselves of certain subjects that we were meant to experience and learn from, we fail in this life. If there is a next life, the experiences we deny ourselves here means that we go into that next life lacking something.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

(If I say something that is right, then God has inspired me. If I say something that is wrong, then it is my own mistake.)

Wow. Whatever shall you do with all that self-respect and integrity? I think you should get rid of some of that ego, people might think you have too high of an opinion of yourself.

If you say something right, take credit for it. You are not possessed. End of story.

edit on 23-12-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
That's ridiculous, dude. The real reason that you are supposed to do that is to make friends and allies. People are stronger as a team than as individuals. How are you supposed to make friends and allies if you are not willing to show some altruism?

It's not outdated at all, if anything, being able to master the teachings you speak of in a time where no one understands them could lead one to great personal wealth.

Do you know the value of a true friend? It is worth more than all of the money in the world. What are you making all of that money for, anyway, but to try and have a meaningful relationship with someone? Yet how are you expecting to do that if you don't know the first thing about having one?
edit on 23-12-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
'Love thy enemies' has to be some of the worst advice ever given....

Show your enemies mercy...............

But love them???

It's things like this and their overuse of the word that leads me to conclude that religious folk/theists really don't know the meaning of love.

It's used when actually words such as 'dictator', 'punishment', 'insecure', 'spiteful' and the like are accurate.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Originally posted by DelayedChristmas
I try and "plant" seeds. I usually say a truth.

Yes, a very good way to plant a seed, is just to speak a truth openly. If the people are curious or ready, then will begin to enquire further, and start seeking the truth of their own accord. If someone is not ready, then in my experience, no amount of shoving, will get them there any faster. Although ultimately, IMO everyone must seek out God directly, even after certain truths have become self evident to them.

Then I would say something I would do in a circumstance they are facing, but then I proceed to tell the person not everything is black and white and the circumstance is all personal and there are a lot of variables involved so my way is not always going to be their way, but there are similar foundations.

Sometimes I find that a Rhetorical question has more impact, when offering people advice. And for one thing, your not just imposing on them, or telling them, what you want them to believe, or do, etc, but your actually engaging them, to think for themselves.

Plus they remember the question much better, than any longwinded advice, because they’re actually trying to find the answer to it, and on top of that, much later on, they will remember the journey that they went through, in order to find the answer, to the question.

I also tell the person that he/she will know what to do because I have faith they will. I try and not to use religious terms as sometimes it would detract the person; I try to communicate in a way that would relate to them, but if the person is a believer, I always try and tell the person to talk to God about the issue.

Yes, telling people that you did it!, so they can do it too, is always good encouraging advice. Plus you’ve been there and know what your talking about and so forth.

I kind of see it like if you had a piece of wood, metal, plastic or paper, in front of you, you would approach each one differently, depending on its make up and texture etc…

It’s the same with people, you have to try and approach each type of person differently as well, depending on whether there’re agnostic Atheist, Christian etc…Of course there are times when this is simply unknown, and you have to just go with your gut, or spiritual sense.

- JC

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

My thoughts on the real reason why Jesus told his followers to "love the enemy" and "forgive their persecutors" was so they could gain rewards and blessings in heaven... AFTER life ends here on earth. Which is why he said that there is no reward in merely loving those who love you back.

Nope. Jesus despises selfishness. Doing it for the rewards is not what he wants. He desires mercy, and he wants us to be merciful like he is. He forgave the very people who had him beaten and tortured and scourged, spat on, mocked and ridiculed, a crown of thorns placed on his head and then nailed to a cross for our sins. That was an act of selflessness and love, when he could have called down 12 legions of angels and destroyed all of mankind.

Don't expect to make it to heaven if your motivations are about being rewarded. It should be about showing others the love of God and bringing his light to the world.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The real meaning of "Love your enemy"

Is it something to do with being married

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Nope. Jesus despises selfishness.

Was Jesus teaching selfishness when he instructed his listeners to gather up treasures in heaven, where "moth and vermin" do not destroy?

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Was Jesus teaching selfishness when he instructed his listeners to gather up treasures in heaven, where "moth and vermin" do not destroy?

Nope, but he wasn't advocating that greed for heavenly treasure be their motivation either. You will get treasure in heaven when your faith manifests into works.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Actually, I think Jesus said this specifically because of the people he was talking to; This message would be best relatable to the people receiving the message, who I think was mainly the common, poor layman, when it was first said. Since the common man has aspirations to acquire wealth, whether it be for selfish or unselfish reasons, Jesus took this visible aspiration and made it an aspiration for the invisible.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DelayedChristmas

Actually, I think Jesus said this specifically because of the people he was talking to; This message would be best relatable to the people receiving the message, who I think was mainly the common, poor layman, when it was first said. Since the common man has aspirations to acquire wealth, whether it be for selfish or unselfish reasons, Jesus took this visible aspiration and made it an aspiration for the invisible.

Thats a fair point.
But Jesus did however point towards rewards and treasures in the afterlife.
The message of "love your enemy" also came with a statement that there is no reward in merely loving those who love you back.

Even if Jesus uses the words "treasures" as a motivation for his followers, it doesn't negate the fact that there are indeed treasures for those who obey his commands. Jesus showed people a way to live... a way that ensures these "treasures" in the afterlife.

I'd say, one of his main teachings was to not indulge too much in the material world.... and stay focused on the next world.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join