It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elf On a Shelf: Bringing Holiday Trauma to a Home Near You

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Ugh. Hadn't heard about Elf On a Shelf until now, but not a fan. Reminds me of my wife's Über-creepy Madame Alexander dolls, which are thankfully locked in a suitcase out in the shed. I know they have collector value, but I'd feel better if we cleansed them with fire.

I googled "Elf On a Shelf" and found several references to "Elf On a Shelf Gone Bad" -- there is even a book named that, along with a few stories similar to yours. Not a big surprise that the elves are a hit on Facebook.

Thanks for the warning, Smyleegrl

Is it a fabricant?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
lol the elf on the shelf has been a pretty funny meme for a while now. Love some of the pics people come up with.

This one, I think, is pretty appropriate to your situation, OP...

edit on 22-12-2012 by Jomina because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

you have to know you are to blame for your child's condition. you have perpetrated a fabricated lie and it has come back to you.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
that's one funny story, I've never heard of the idea before. Wouldn't go down real well in my house either. Once I told my son " it's time to go to sleep because, look here comes the moon"

He literally thought the moon was coming to get him. Freaked out and took a couple of hrs to claim him down to get him to sleep. Young kids have such literal thinking. So a moving, spying elf in the house... Um no

S&f for the laugh
edit on 22-12-2012 by feelingconnected because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I never heard of these elves till the other day when my wife & daughter were talking about them.
Something about the concept it just wrong to me. Trying to frighten your kids into being good because they think they are being watched 24/7.

Just seems creepy and wrong but maybe that's just me.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Kill Bernard and hold a funeral.

Your son will rest well...

Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Not the famous Mr/Mrs/Prof Bernard Schnitzel?

That IS creepy.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Oh man--Hahhah!!! I agree, that was hilarious to read! I do feel for you though OP!
Hope he's doing better now. Maybe you can mix up some lemon juice and water in a spray bottle and label it 'Elf Repellant' and let him spray that around his room or something? (Or maybe 'Elf Kill Spray')

That meme pic had me rolling to-lol!
I've got to find some more of those

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Aw smyleegril, i feel your pain sister...

2 months ago I did a similar thing to my daughter, and she still isn't the same. My husband says I traumatised, and ruined her for life

I think they will be okay. Leah isn't all the way better, but she is progressing. Takes time and patients that's for sure.

UGH I clean houses on the side with my Mom and saw that little elf for the first time last week. As soon as i saw it i thought ... oh hell no....LOL

My boys never went through this type of stuff. I hope your son gets through it quickly. It's so awful to see them with fear in their eyes and think we caused it... All the Best

Here's my thread
I scared the crap out of my kid!!! Advice?

edit on 23-12-2012 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Better get General on the case! Great post BTW.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Thanks for this!

I thought it was just me who thought this was the creepiest "tradition" ever. Already dubious of the general idea, took one look at the evil elf and said no way!

Besides the Orwellian weirdness of it all...it's just peer pressure and marketing. I'll stick with actual traditions thanks just the same.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Ha ha ha ha. Classic. Would make a good Halloween story, but then I'm not into Halloween.

But hilarious story.

Maybe you could write a scary novel about it.

Classic.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
OP I have not idea how you thought that would be a good idea. lol

I am sure he will get over it.. when is grown. Hopefully he is occupied enough during the day to be too tired to thinka bout it at night.

GL

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I was always afraid of dolls, and I never liked to play with them. And I am a female, I just did not like the way they looked...this must sound weird, but I understand why your son was afraid. You did the right thing by sending the elf back, and hopefully he will soon forget about his bad experience.

Your story reminded me that my mother used to have a ceramic elf that she made on top of our frig. My younger sister and I always thought that it moved and that it would give us the evil eye.
We are grown up now, well sort of
, but recently we were cleaning out my mother's house and my sister said to me "Whatever you do, get rid of the evil elf". Usually I would have teased her, or put the elf on her doorstep, kidding, but I was amazed that she still remembered that and that she was still afraid of the ceramic elf.

Maybe elves are just scary creatures, for whatever reason.

Edit to add-she only remembered it because we had it for years. I am sure that if it was only there for a short time, she would have already forgotten about it.

edit on 23-12-2012 by PacificBlue because: add text

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Wow, hilarious story. Reminds me of me when I was that young.

Therapy though? Hell no! It's just one of those things that eventually happens. When I was very young, I saw a worm come out of a dead termite... It traumatized me and I was afraid of termites for months afterwards.

Maybe you could sit him down with a print out of the creepy Elf and fully explain it's purpose - so he has no doubt that it is just manufactured in some factory.

Honestly it shows good character of your kid, he's awesome! Kids *should* be like "Whoa, that's creepy. You mean this little damn thing is gunna watch what I do and report back to some bearded guy across the world?"

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I really like the elf on a shalf as does my daughter. We watched the cartoon before we got the doll. Maybe thats why it isn't very creepy to me or her. The cartoon I thought was rather cute.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I've known about the elf on the shelf dolls for awhile now. I always play the hot coco game on the website for it. However, I have to admit that those dolls do look creepy looking. The idea behind the elf on the shelf is also creepy knowing that it watches you to make sure that you are good. That's not only creepy but that's stalking and grounds for being burn in a oven.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Just seems like a way to get kids paranoid.

Or to get used to being monitored by some nonexistent pair of eyes.

Who needs a church, when you've got Shelf Elf! Order now for 9 easy payments of 9.99!

Big Brother got you down? No problem! Shelf Elf is here to condition your child: Today!

...But seriously, we're all doomed.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Wow OP. I thought I knew the true depth of depravity humans were capable of...then I found this thread. Oh not you.... not you...
I made the mistake of Googling Elf on a Shelf. Call me sheltered sometimes but Id never heard of them before. Well, I then made my big mistake. I clicked 'Images' to see what such an elf might look like.

I think I lost count of how many images I now need to work on UN-seeing and the various creative ways people have found to pose their elves..... Oh .. Goodness.. Some people have FAR too much time.

Anyway... It sounds like quite a pickle with your son. Talk about a great idea with all the best of intentions turning into a childhood trauma no one saw coming.
I shouldn't laugh on this...but it's hard not to given how good your intentions started. lol...

At least you didn't get into playing Parody Christmas Music! Things could be worse...... His reaction to this may not have been favorable:

Even the Easter Bunny is good for a few felonies by the end of that version.... I think the elf trauma will fade with time tho.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Could be used as a potty training tool...lol

I like the idea of watching the cartoon with your child and if that's something their into...go for it. If not drop it like it's hot.

I agree it can be a conditioning tool being used to make you feel comfortable being watched...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join