It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elf On a Shelf: Bringing Holiday Trauma to a Home Near You

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

ATS, I know it's kinda funny, but I feel like I've traumatized my child and he's probably going to need therapy or something to get past this. Any ideas? And if you're one of the families who use the Elf and find it works great, bah humbug to you.

P.S. I wouldn't put it past the CIA to have cameras installed in those elves.....

Only therapy for children is the truth.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
im trying to follow this thread...but im confused

does it move?? how??

does it grow teeth etc? if so how

is it recording??

rip one open i rekon

im baffled here...lil help

on the website it says...you cant touch them...and they see everything...WTF..they cost about $20..that should cover the cost of a small cam and transmitter,,,.

edit on 23-12-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

:-)

fair question

girl is adorable - doll creepy as hell

but she loves it - so, who am I to judge?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Supposedly they disappear at night, and report on the child's activities to Santa, and are found in different locations in the morning. They don't actually move, or grow fangs, or anything. That's just her son's imagination running away because the doll is creepy as hell.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

not sure if trolling or serious....

so, are these "elves" just little robots with cameras in them, or just little wooden toys, surrounded in superstition?

im really not buying this whole story, went to the website, and all it has is a bunch of vague descriptions, aimed towards little kids, not sensible adults

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on this or any other board. Thanks poster! What a great venue for members to showcase that particular brand of ATS wit as well as give us a reason to laugh.

Jeez, guys, I needed this!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Lol, I've ever heard about this elf on a shelf biz, but my great grandmother had an elf that set on the fireplace at xmas and was the creepiest thing you can imagine. When she passed last year it was the only thing I requested from her house. If I can find it ill post a picture.

I think your mistake was putting it in your childs room.. I mean.. you had to know ; P.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
For anyone that's confused: They're just toys. They don't move. Every morning the parents are supposed to move it to another spot in the house. It doesn't grow teeth, the OP's son's imagination just got the best of him. It's not actually recording anything. It's just supposed to be Santa's eyes, which when you think about it is a lot less creepy than the old omniscient Santa idea where he can see what you're doing from anywhere in the world. Kids aren't supposed to touch it because it's kind of expensive and you don't want them to ruin it. Also, if they think of it as a play toy they it'll lose it's power to make kids behave.

I can't believe people think there might be cameras or recording devices as part of some kind of government plot. That'd be the dumbest thing in the world. Millions of people buy this thing. Let's say they did have some sort of device in them.

How many people would you need to comb through billions of hours of audio and/or video?

How much would it cost to also put in a device that transmits that information?

And would the cost really be worth the gain: which is nothing aside from hours and hours and hours of mundane life?

It's just a toy. Some people like, some people don't. I've heard a lot of people say their kids love. It's no more getting children acclimated to the idea of being watched than Santa is.
edit on 12/23/2012 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Those elves are creepy. Most of my cousins have bought them for their kids, and the kids love them, but I wouldn't unless I ever had a kid and they wanted one. We have an old one that's from the late 70s-early 80s that my mom pulls out each year. It never moves, but this year its home is in the Charlie Brown Christmas tree my brother bought at the grocery store. You walk in the kitchen and there's that stupid elf sitting in the tree. My mom likes it though so I've never said anything. I just don't linger in the kitchen this time of year, but that's probably better anyways because that means I don't snack as much.

Sorry about your kid OP. Sometimes the weirdest things scare little kids (I myself was absolutely terrified of the Hamburglar from McDonalds, so much so that I didn't want to play in the play area when we'd go there). Give him some time and I bet he'll be better.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Thanks for the post; I was reminded of several things that scared the daylights out of me while I was waiting for sleep to come as a small child. I'm sure your son will get past his fright, & probably even laugh about it one day.

As for me, having remembered those childhood "bogey-men", I've decided to scrap
my latest idea for a new toy:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Wow, ATS!

I'm so glad you've enjoyed my little faux pau... My son says to tell everyone that he's not scared of dolls, only babies are scared of dolls. But he doesn't like Bernard because everyone knows spies are bad people. Plus Bernard needed to go back to the North Pole to visit the dentist because elves are not supposed to have fangs.

So I think he will recover in the fullness of time, although if he does develop a gnome phobia I will accept the blame.

Merry Christmas to all of you, my friends!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Trying to frighten your kids into being good because they think they are being watched 24/7.

Isn't that the modus operandi on planet earth?

Great story OP!

This was the first post from ATS I have felt comfortable reading to my mother.

She liked it too.
edit on 23-12-2012 by YourOtherSelf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Thanks for my first good laugh of the day.
I hadn't heard of the Elf on a shelf until recently when a friends wife, a teacher, was complaining how it distracted the kids in her class to the point she removed it. She realized that at any time at least one kid was focusing on it either fascinated or scared.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Just when you think you've read it all...
hahah
Why does this crap only happen in America?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8fl0z

not sure if trolling or serious....

so, are these "elves" just little robots with cameras in them, or just little wooden toys, surrounded in superstition?

im really not buying this whole story, went to the website, and all it has is a bunch of vague descriptions, aimed towards little kids, not sensible adults

What's funny is how serious you are about "not buying this whole story". Sometimes the posts on this forum just make me actually laugh out loud.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I know how unpopular this idea is, but I'd always been resolved to tell my child the truth. If they're not of age for the details, I tell them we'll get into specifics later and what they need to know for now. Children get enough lies from TV, schoolmates and other outside of the home sources, having one stable source for information is comforting. They hadn't missed any fun, enjoying Christmas just as much as other children.

Regarding trauma, lead the example by dealing with the problem seriously, then encouraging them to put the past behind, learn from it, not making a big deal about it once resolved, move on, and not bringing it up as 'humorous' or embarrassing tales to tell friends/family. Give whatever assurance is necessary so long as it's accurate. We all have traumatic events in our lives, by dwelling on them and not forgiving them, they surely can haunt us.

Hope this helps, Merry Christmas.
edit on 23-12-2012 by saint4God because: grammar, content articulation

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Lol
This thing is really creepy, maybe buy your son something like a stuffed dog something that he will think will protect him.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
We have used our Elf on the Shelf (Axe) for 2 years now and my 4 year old loves him. I don't know how you (OP) address "monsters" and etc. with your kids but from day 1 we have consistently stated that they don't exist. We have never gone thru the "looking under the bed" or "looking in the closet" because that makes them think they could be real. We have simply just stated from day 1 that there is no such thing as monsters and we have not had any problems. You have to drop your Elf on the Shelf overnight when you kiddo(s) are sleeping so they don't even know they are there until morning.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
That thing is just creepy! That never would've flown if my parents would have bought that whenever I was a small child. I used to sleep in their room on the floor when I was young and every night after the lights would go out and they'd go to sleep, I'd look out of their open bedroom door out into the hall at the shadows and "see" all kinds of monsters and things that formed from the shadows. Seriously, a kid's imagination is already vivid, and simple things like that cause fear. They can make horrifying things out of nothing. They'd probably be the best horror movie writers and directors ever!

I remember I was about three or four and my father thought it was a good idea to rent a Tales from the Crypt VHS from the corner store and we watched it and for weeks, I was looking around every corner and behind shower curtains for that "scary skeleton" because I thought he was going to get me.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Oh, wow.......

I thought the whole idea was insane, when I read some news story about parents being up in arms, because some talking head spilled the beans on the whole thing. Plus, the idea of a doll watching the kids? Its one thing if THEY decide the toy is real, and looking out for them, but quite another for someone else to. Can totally understand how you must feel, having your son freaked out that way. Makes me wonder how many other families have a similar issue, and won't admit to it.

No, would not be surprised if there was more to the dolls, either.

Well, my house, we don't even do the "Santa" thing at all. The kids have always known who fills the stockings, and buys the gifts. I was never cool with some stranger sneaking in at night, leaving the best presents, anyway. The idea of Santa (which, yes, i did believe as a kid) is really pretty creepy, if you look at it. Sit on his lap to get goodies, he watches you all the time, and sneaks into your home at night? Um....ewwww???? Then there is the issue of the two guys supposedly the historical basis for the figure. Looked them up, some time back, in an old encyclopedia we had (can't recall who they were off hand), and neither fellow seemed to have a known date of death. That alone is too creepy! Santa....Satan.....rearrange the letters.....

Think I will pass on those elves!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join