The Elf On a Shelf: Bringing Holiday Trauma to a Home Near You

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+31 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

So, I want to share with you something that has been bothering me for a while. To whit: the Elf on a Shelf franchise.

For those of you unfamiliar with this little Christmas delight, allow me to explain. Parents purchase a genuine Elf (a little doll that makes Chucky look positively sane) and place said Elf in a conspicuous place to monitor the activity of the children. During the night, Elf visits the North Pole and tattles. You can tell the Elf went somewhere because every morning the little mannequin is in a new place, just waiting for the kids to notice.

Sheer genius, some will undoubtedly say. And for some families, this might even be a fun part of Christmas. My own brother uses the Elf (named Lizzie) and my two nieces love looking for her every morning and reading the letters she occasionally leaves.

So I decided to try this with my son. Apparently, he's too much like his mother, because this did not go over well AT ALL.

We introduced the Elf (Bernard) and explained his purpose (to tell Santa all the good things my son does). We then set Bernard on my son's bookcase and said goodnight.

Five minutes later there's a freaked out kid in my bed, saying the elf moved. And grew fangs. And was I SURE Bernard was a good elf, and not the kind that eats little kids?

So Bernard made a journey downstairs and my son went back to his bed, only to return thirty minutes later to tell me Bernard was chasing the cats. Cause everyone knows elves eat candy canes and cats.

I'll spare you all the ways he woke us up that night, but the end result was that Bernard got mailed back to the North Pole. Along with a note from my son for Santa to use his magic ball and fire the creepy elves.

That was about a week ago. My son is STILL worked up over this elf business. He now follows his dad when we lock up at night to make sure there's no way the elf can get in. Then we have to check under the bed, in all the drawers, and in the closet before he will consider going to sleep.

ATS, I know it's kinda funny, but I feel like I've traumatized my child and he's probably going to need therapy or something to get past this. Any ideas? And if you're one of the families who use the Elf and find it works great, bah humbug to you.

P.S. I wouldn't put it past the CIA to have cameras installed in those elves.....

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I have never heard of those shelf elves before, but we have had "elves" in my family for ages. Our elf is called Fidelus and lives in the attic just before and all through december. He hangs presents on the advent calendar every day and reports back to Santa every so often :p ( Rudolph pops by to pick up any messages and letters on and off ). The letter for Santa with christmas wishes is left by the calendar one day in early december, in the evening before bedtime, so he can pick it up during the night without being seen.

For all this he gets a bowl of rice pudding and a glass of milk on christmas eve. The rest of the time he lives on the north pole and helps Santa.

It's a tradition that kids in our family have loved and I've never heard of anyone being afraid of the house elf.
That said, i would probably be creeped out myself with such an elf on my shelf
, good riddance that he went back to the north pole.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Bronagh

May I ask where your family is from? I have a friend in New Jersey and they also have an attic elf. Apparently the little fella makes toys up there, they hear him hammering and sawing, then find sawdust in the mornings. Like you mentioned, he's a beloved member of their family and happy traditions.

I bet my son would want to hunt it down, tie it up, and yell "The power of Christ compels you!" If it turned out we had an elf in our attic.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
S & F ...That was hilariously presented! I feel sorry for the trauma and damage...but you wrote that extremely well...a great laugh. Thanks for sharing!

BTW

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I know. I shouldnt laugh..........

You could have just left the closet door open.........

S&F
edit on 22-12-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I have ancestors all over the place but my immediate family mostly live in the Faroe Islands and Denmark. The house elf (Nisse in danish) is an old scandinavian tradition.

Todays Nisse is quite a different creature than the Nisse of the past, he used to have nothing whatsoever to do with Santa but in Danish Santas helpers are usually called Nisser so the change is pretty understandable.

Here's a link to the wiki about the Nisse
Nisse

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Did you name it after our bernie on here?

Maybe it did come to life.

Seriously though fear is not to e taken lightly. I hope you work it out.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I hope your little one's gotten over the ordeal and has a Happy Christmas Eve. Lord knows it's hard enough tom get the little buggers to sleep so we have enough energy to stay up and see that Santa gets the gifts out so we can a nap in before the internal kid alarm wakes them at 4 am.

My two are grown up and I miss the "Believer" days now.

Maybe you can not spoil the Santa part and yet let him know shelf elf (my grand kids have that one freaks me out) was really just a doll .

You could say you have no idea how the heck the real Santa keeps track of this stuff and you wanted to make sure he was extra good in case the North Pole crystal ball only checks in once in a while and it would be a shame if he was having a cranky mood day and didn't get the one awesome thing you know he'll love.

BTW we had Fred. And he wasn't just an elf, he was The Boss Elf. Apparently he teleported. We really weren't sure because it was magic ....

He picked up the girls' Christmas letters (placed on the tree at bedtime). In a day or two he'd leave one for them saying theirs was received and he'd comment on things that happened in school like the Christmas plays and report cards and such.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Uhm........ There is no way in HELL that thing is EVER coming into my house. That thing is the creepiest thing I've seen in years. My other half was driving when I showed her the picture of one, and she jumped. And dolls don't freak her out at all. That is a great way to keep kids from EVER misbehaving. "If you don't behave, the elf comes back!"

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Agreed.

I should have known it would end in tears and cries for holy water. I blame myself.

The thing looks homocidicaly maniacal, doesn't it.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I was waiting for it to come out of the computer and try to eat my soul. Whoever designed that thing needs to be taken out and beaten with them. Although it also would make a great psychological evaluation device. If you like them, that's not a good sign.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Yikes, i just googled it to see what it looked like and I'd have to agree, that is one creepy doll. I wouldn't want that thing in my room after the lights were out, but then i have a thing about too happy looking dolls

Edt to add:

If *mailing him back to Santa* hasn't eased your boys mind, how about telling him you got a letter from Santa, thanking you for exposing the *impostor elf* who is now working in the reindeer stables as punishment. I'm sure if your kid thinks the bad elf is being watched closely by Santa and Rudolf, he wouldn't worry so much about him coming back?
edit on 22-12-2012 by Bronagh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I've been seeing everybody post pictures of their elves but had no clue what the purpose of it was. I thought it was a pinterest thing or something.
Loved your story (except for the poor traumatized child of course).

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Ugh. Hadn't heard about Elf On a Shelf until now, but not a fan. Reminds me of my wife's Über-creepy Madame Alexander dolls, which are thankfully locked in a suitcase out in the shed. I know they have collector value, but I'd feel better if we cleansed them with fire.

I googled "Elf On a Shelf" and found several references to "Elf On a Shelf Gone Bad" -- there is even a book named that, along with a few stories similar to yours. Not a big surprise that the elves are a hit on Facebook.

Thanks for the warning, Smyleegrl

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

dolls are creepy

:-)

I know a little girl with an elf on a shelf

creepy...

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Seriously smyleegrl, I have to agree - it's the stuff nightmares are made out of

but you meant well - it sounds like a lovely idea - at first :-)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Sorry to hear your boy was traumatized, my daughter loves ours, squeaks. She gets up every morning to find him and try's to explain all the bad things away everynight. She has issues with going to bed so when she comes out to our room we can hear her stop and whisper to him lol.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Poor little guy!
He wakes up seeing "things" in his doorway, then you take him all around the U.S. visiting haunted locations, and now you are buying him creepy elves! Yep, he's going to need therapy before he hits his teens, if he makes it that long!

Funny... sorry. I can't help but laugh at the way you told this.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Yes I would have had the same problems with that "toy" and who moves it? does it really move on its' own or are parents supposed to move it?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

If you still have it around and your son is still scared of it, maybe you should have a "Going away" ceremony for it?

Make it 100% certain in his mind, it's gone.

I was thinking a can of fuel and a match..but that might make things worse lol

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join