It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no such thing as belief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I don't believe in belief. There is no such thing. Belief gets mistaken for archetypal structures in the mind. Whether or not you think you believe in UFOs or 2012 apocalypse, it's not a matter of belief. Those structures still exist in your mind.

Since these structures exist independently of so called belief, the real factor in whether they are real or not is focused attention. By focusing your attention on an archetype, you make it real. All you morons obsessing over what other people believe, making threads to laugh at what you perceive to be believers, are doing the exact same thing the people you are making fun of are doing! The irony make me want to start slapping people.

It's not belief, it's focused attention, and the more attention you pour into those archetypal structures, the more related detail you create. Take this recent Sandy Hook gun controversy. Too much attention creates too many threads on the issue. But it has nothing to do with belief.

You think you're better because you weren't foolish enough to believe in something? Wrong! You're doing the exact same thing!!!! Calling out believers and poking fun at them is only poking fun at yourself. This type of ignorance can no longer be denied! It must be addressed. It's almost 2013, time to smarten up!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Is this your belief?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

The world is a battle of belief's.

Tell me you arent the person that sits around and stands (also knowns as believes) for/in nothing. It is people that do nothing that lets other people cause harm to other people.

Go out and find what you stand for, then that is your beliefs. If you stand for nothing you might as well dig your own grave because what are you here for? To just accept everything and let it slide by?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Do you believe in yourself?

Do you believe in your wife?

Do you believe in your children?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

You don't believe in anything?
I don't believe you.
You believe that you don't believe.

I believe I'm just messing with you.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by smwoop

The world is a battle of belief's.

Tell me you arent the person that sits around and stands (also knowns as believes) for/in nothing. It is people that do nothing that lets other people cause harm to other people.

Go out and find what you stand for, then that is your beliefs. If you stand for nothing you might as well dig your own grave because what are you here for? To just accept everything and let it slide by?

I'm not talking about action, I'm talking about the misconception of belief. Things are only as real as you allow them to be, but if you're not aware of that, it can cause trouble.

Arguments in favor of belief are not because you believe, but because you've been programmed and conditioned to execute that programming. That programming is a variable, and thus irrelevant.

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

You don't believe in anything?
I don't believe you.
You believe that you don't believe.

I believe I'm just messing with you.

On the other side of the coin, you could say I believe in everything. If you can focus on something, think about it, talk about it, it's real to some degree.
edit on 22-12-2012 by The Cusp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

No, the laws of physics simply state about how death can occur.

If you choose not to look at someone's belief, you aren't necessarily helping.

There are some weird mother#ers out in this world, and they believe some absurd things. It is up to the majority, to make sure they don't carry out what they believe in.
edit on 22-12-2012 by smwoop because: fixed a typo

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Maybe off topic. I saw someone talking about "i saw something materialize out of nothing."

I think nothing is something, Like air. Maybe it is possible to "teleport" and "time travel" based on the theory that anything can materialize out of anything.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by smwoopThere are some weird mother#ers out in this world, and they believe some absurd things. It is up to the majority, to make sure they don't carry out what they believe in

Is it because they believe it? Or because they are focused too much on it?

I worked with a paranoid schizo for years, and it wasn't his belief that caused trouble it was his obsessive focus on those paranoid topics. In order to calm him down, I had to switch the focus of his attention onto something more constructive. Unless he was too deep already, in which case I couldn't get through to him because he didn't have enough attention left to focus on anything else.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Well, with all paranoid topics there are radicals that push it.

I just see that you cant focus on something without taking a side, either for or against it. Maybe he interpreted the world and did not care about anything but addressing those topics to stop them, and that classified him as paranoid, when he just wanted to address the topics that are already out here.

Look at the insurgents that hide behind women and children. Even if we are at war with them, that is cowardly to grab a gun and shoot at soldiers, then hide behind innocent civilians(women/children) to create non-wanted casualties.

People believe in what they think is best, and sometimes it is unmoral, compared to what most think is moral.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Beliefs are mind boxes where conscience hang around delighted.
Thing is: the Ego automatizes responses based on his mind boxes.
For a person to change a belief into nkowledge, you have to break the wallls.

Religious people are walled up.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's kind of useless to talk about belief existing or not without you specifically defining it.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What you're describing in your OP is what the average person would define as belief. We focus, we analyze, and decide whether something is real to us or not. This forms belief for or against our perceptions.

So belief is individual perception.
edit on 12/22/2012 by Klassified because: too much info

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
What you're describing in your OP is what the average person would define as belief. We focus, we analyze, and decide whether something is real to us or not. This forms belief for or against our perceptions.

Yes. It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

Originally posted by RobertPaulsim

Yeah, that's basically it. The thing is those boxes are variables, they are not absolute truths. Defining them as truths is unhealthy. This leads to the conclusion that these variables can't be changed. Archetypal structures should be pruned and shaped into quantum machines.

THese structures are tools. Just because you really like your hammer doesn't mean you should use it on everything.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Yes. It's a subtle difference, but an important one.

Originally posted by RobertPaulsim

Yeah, that's basically it. The thing is those boxes are variables, they are not absolute truths. Defining them as truths is unhealthy. This leads to the conclusion that these variables can't be changed. Archetypal structures should be pruned and shaped into quantum machines.

THese structures are tools. Just because you really like your hammer doesn't mean you should use it on everything.

new topics

top topics

join