It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome find in Northern Kentucky, Help identifying this picture please

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
You guys were right about the size. It is pendant size. Here is the back

Thank you all so much for your ideas and theories!! I really appreciate it. I have seen markings similar to this but never exactly. Someone said that the solid line in the east is the sailing route between England and Ireland via the Orkney's and the Faroes to Iceland, and further to Cape Holm, at the east coast of Greenland. The crossings over open sea are always shorter than 5 moiras, or 5 degrees

I used to be a mod, but time constraints forced me to resign the position.

Yes I would love for you to share it with any archaeologists. I know for a fact that it is a genuine artifact.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hello, maybe we'll find out what exactly it is on that new America Unearthed show. We need to keep this thread updated no matter what though, because I for one wish to see what this turns out to be.

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by K_OS

That looks like a elliptic, dentate, pinnate leaf. One interesting thing is that it doesn't have a drip tip to facilitate drip flow. Trees in rainy areas are very concerned with shedding water as leaving too much water on their tree crowns can cause a myriad of problems. It obviously isn't from a desert either. Kentucky seems to belong to the temperate broad-leaved forest biome. Are there any leaves of this type there?

Source:
www.botanical-online.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by K_OS

Nice piece. You have two really good options and you can exercise them both. Take the object, or email a photo, to both the nearest First Nations Cultural Centre and to your local university. You should be able to get a good handle on what the object is. SnF4U!

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have not read through all of this but the stone has a hole through it so I think at one point someone had this around their neck on a lace. It shows a pyramid with the Sun behind it. The circle with a dot at its center has several meanings, it is the symbol of the Sun, Gold and the the universe. I don't know what the small triangle above it represents.

posted on Dec, 24 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by K_OS

Nice piece. You have two really good options and you can exercise them both. Take the object, or email a photo, to both the nearest First Nations Cultural Centre and to your local university. You should be able to get a good handle on what the object is. SnF4U!

I agree that this is the best option.

It appears to have been made within the past 150 years, judging from the patina, the way it's carved, and the representations on there.

It's not Egyptian and not related to Egypt.
It's not Runic or Nordic (wrong references there).
It's not Sumerian.
It's not any of the Pueblo or Hopi or Navajo symbols (though a few are vaguely similar, the context is wrong.)
It's not Chumash (wrong area, but I'm being thorough.)
The symbols aren't from Central America (Aztec, Inca, Maya, Olmec, Diku, etc.)

This doesn't rule out the northern tribes and the woodland tribes -- quite an interesting piece, though the way the hole is manufactured and the scribing by steel or iron tools indicate that it's not thousands of years old.

Take it to a First Nations group and tell them all about where it came from.

It *might* be a "pious fraud" by the Mormons -- which is not a BAD thing (it's actually a GOOD thing); a piece of manufactured history that dates back to the late 1800's, when they were trying to encourage belief in their faith. There's a number of these items, some involving golden tablets.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
You guys were right about the size. It is pendant size. Here is the back

Thank you all so much for your ideas and theories!! I really appreciate it. I have seen markings similar to this but never exactly. Someone said that the solid line in the east is the sailing route between England and Ireland via the Orkney's and the Faroes to Iceland, and further to Cape Holm, at the east coast of Greenland. The crossings over open sea are always shorter than 5 moiras, or 5 degrees

I used to be a mod, but time constraints forced me to resign the position.

Yes I would love for you to share it with any archaeologists. I know for a fact that it is a genuine artifact.

I'll happily forward the pictures to friends with specialities in the iron & bronze age (not exactly their field, but they will of course know exactly who to ask).....Do you have high res originals and some provenance for the item? If so please u2u me.

I must restate though that I can see what looks like it might be evidence of modern rotary tools having been used on the item.
edit on 29-12-2012 by squarehead666 because: clarity etc.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't think the squiggly lines on the "first" side (we really don't know which was which) are sun rays, because they are different at the top and bottom (if it was hanging). The ones at the bottom could be water, for rivers or streams. The upper lines look more like winter trees. The partial circle could be a number of things, like a bay, maybe (with those rivers flowing into it). The triangle could be a structure of some kind, with the circles being buildings, perhaps community structures.

The "back side" looks sort of like a leaf. The one marking on the right could be a snake, or worm of some sort, and I really have no idea about that inverted "triangle" at the top left. Looks more like a spear point than anything else.

Where was this thing found? What sort of material is it made of? Was anything else found in the same area? It would be helpful to know more about the provenance of the object.

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
reply to post by kdog1982

Thank you! and no, the other side is just the rock texture with the exception of the hole.

Wait...what? If there isn't anything on the other side, what is the picture of the other side showing us? I am confused here.....

Never mind; see you addressed that later. Wonder why he would describe it that way, though. Clearly, both sides are marked.
edit on 6-1-2013 by LadyGreenEyes because: answered

posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by chachonee

A lot of remains, indeed, that cannot be studied. Remains, in some cases, that are clearly Caucasoid, not Mongoloid. Makes you wonder what some are trying to hide.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by K_OS

I agree that this is the best option.

It appears to have been made within the past 150 years, judging from the patina, the way it's carved, and the representations on there.

It's not Egyptian and not related to Egypt.
It's not Runic or Nordic (wrong references there).
It's not Sumerian.
It's not any of the Pueblo or Hopi or Navajo symbols (though a few are vaguely similar, the context is wrong.)
It's not Chumash (wrong area, but I'm being thorough.)
The symbols aren't from Central America (Aztec, Inca, Maya, Olmec, Diku, etc.)

This doesn't rule out the northern tribes and the woodland tribes -- quite an interesting piece, though the way the hole is manufactured and the scribing by steel or iron tools indicate that it's not thousands of years old.

Take it to a First Nations group and tell them all about where it came from.

It *might* be a "pious fraud" by the Mormons -- which is not a BAD thing (it's actually a GOOD thing); a piece of manufactured history that dates back to the late 1800's, when they were trying to encourage belief in their faith. There's a number of these items, some involving golden tablets.

Thank you Byrd. I was waiting for someone like you to post here.

I have followed your suggestion as to looking into local areas where I live. Love Valley of Fire. Got some great pics of some great petroglyphs there. Still exploring out here.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
From the "pendant angle" suggested by kdog1982 on page 1, it strikes me like the profile of a human face.

It has carved ritual markings, almost like ritual paint on the cheeks, and the eye forms the hole.
Of course that doesn't mean the markings can't have other meanings too.

By that interpretation it's likely that the artist found a stone that already resembled a face (perhaps a funny caricature of a leader), and then he or she added the details.

I'd be very surprised if this is not a caricature of a face in profile, and maybe this is why the stone was chosen by the artist.

If it is indeed a face in profile, that could provide valuable information of what the people wore, and how they may have looked.
That's just an interpretation however, which probably assumes it is very old and genuine.

I'm also reminded of some "false faces" of the Iroquois, which are caricature-like masks.
I've read that traditionally they shouldn't be shown at all, but those made for tourists seem to be OK to show.
www.chichesterinc.com...

edit on 7-1-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

edit on 7-1-2013 by vind21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It's a map

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I found this here: Source

I'm wondering if it can help decifier....

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I found another good article...It could be jewelry...

Dad had a lot of friends and one was a Hopi. Dad asked the man one day about something he heard about portals up in the Navajo and Hopi lands. His Hopi friend told him the elders spoke of portals in various places, I think Shiprock was one, some in Monument Valley and Third Mesa. He said the best ones were in the canyon now covered in water behind Glen Canyon dam. He said the Hopi and Navajo would create jewelry and go to a portal area (my impression they were in red sand stone cliffs) and sing and would walk into the portal and emerge near San Diego and trade with the Indians there for food and game and return back to their homeland the next morning. That's a distance of at least 500 miles if not more. The Hopi have a history that goes way back longer than most white people believe the earth is, so I don't know if this relates to a different era when the earth was energetically different, but from what I got from my dad this was a fairly common thing until the reservoirs were constructed in the early 20th century. I met a local novelist at a dinner party once who said he had walked on Indian land near San Diego and found that walking the same path one direction took 20 more minutes than it did another direction, which is the sign of a time dilation of an energy vortex. I believe the Navajo and Hopi protested the construction over the sacred sites, but as usual the white man ignored them. They had no intention of telling the white man why they were sacred - why should they? A few years later I ran into a Cherokee medicine man who told me these sites exist all over the earth and that indigenous people in the know can and do travel great distances with no mechanical transportation. He said one such portal exists at Mt Shasta and he was a gatekeeper of it, and not everyone can go through one, it depends on your energy vibration.

Source

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
I'd be very surprised if this is not a caricature of a face in profile, and maybe this is why the stone was chosen by the artist.

Looks like a fish's head to me. Think bream.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join