It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan end-of-world rumors prompt Michigan officials to close 33 schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Mods if this is in the wrong place please move it. Thanks.

This has gone way overboard.

More than 30 Michigan schools closed for the holidays two days early, in part because the Mayan calendar predicts the world will end on Friday, an official said.

usnews.nbcnews.com...

I understand the hype, and to some extent the fear that somethings can happen that we have no control over but this is ridiculous.

The Mayan calendar ends so the whole world goes into a panic, excuse me? Sorry to disillusion everyone but the calendar is cyclical, like every other calendar in the world, IT STARTS OVER!.

Now this could be from fear that someone might want to imitate one of the various school shootings or bombings but all that would require is an armed security guard or two on the grounds.

My two cents
Go ahead flame away.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

indeed your OP rings true

see:weather.yahoo.com...

a short 4 paragraph read.... with several related links at the end of article

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

They should have done a bit of research before jumping to conclusions. However, there may be some nut cases out there that day and it's probably safer to be home tomorrow considering that threat alone.

Also if you ever visit mexico and speak to a mayan historian they don't believe the end of the world and will tell you that Hollywood made that up for the main purpose of making money.

No one can decode the stone calendar they have found from the Mayans, anything you hear about that stone relating to the end of the world prophecy is absolute hypothesis 110%.

People see pictures and associate it with what it probably relates too but no one can prove it one way or another definitively.
edit on 20-12-2012 by TheCanuckian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that the schools around here all closed today because of the snowstorm that was coming. It's taking it's time to get here though, Schools would have been out before it got bad.
Now kids will miss two days of school, I bet the kids and teachers are smiling.
Got to make sure you use up those snowdays in case the world ends I suppose

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I don't blame them. I think it's a good call on their part(For a change). There's a nutcase running around out there somewhere just hoping to kickstart the end of the world. Personally, I think they should stay closed until after New Years.

There's gonna be some pissed off people when the world doesn't end tomorrow.

Of course, we could all be wrong, but what are the odds?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I think closing 2 days early...for Christmas vacation...is a good idea.

What I understand from reading the article is that they closed the schools early mainly because of the CT shootings; to help people to cope better; and also....NOT because they believe (the end of the world is going to happen tomorrow) ...but because they know that there may be many people out and about tomorrow; that want to harm society.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I understand this and mentioned it in my OP, but as I said all that would be required is an armed security guard on the grounds, which would also put a few people to work and Michigan sure could use the jobs.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Might as well, the kids aren't going to be paying attention anyhow.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Two schools around here that I know of will have police officers on every campus tomorrow. I'm keeping my son home. I picked him up early today after their Christmas Program and a lot of other parents were getting their kids too. I think tomorrow might be national skip day.
edit on 20-12-2012 by Ireminisce because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Great idea, don't ya think? Just in case the friggin world ends, who wants to die sitting in class listening to some whackjob teacher drone on about some indoctrinational garbage about being a good worker, a good citizen...a good wage slave.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well I told my son he could stay home tomorrow, as its the last day of school before Christmas holidays so don't think making him feel more secure with family, hurts any.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

He noted that Twitter was lighting up with posts with sentiments like: "Friday would be a great day to go out w/ a bang." The ancient predictions of apocalypse were a "secondary concern," with rumblings about violent threats against schoolchildren a bigger issue, he said.
source op's link

Op little misleading, I do agree some guards would be efficient, My daughters school had bomb threat two weeks ago and they didn't close had tons of sheriffs deputies on hand and bomb sniffing dogs. But twitter threats and recent events why not just play it safe before the holidays and extend the holiday break? Not sure what is so ridiculous or unbelievable about that.

Also it is a single county that closed all their schools. and that particular school district is hurting for money to, so save on the electric bill
Nothing against you OP the msm article you linked to leaves the same impression

edit on 20-12-2012 by DIRTYDONKEY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

It just struck me as wrong, because of rumor and fear of copycat killers we should change our way of life.
Unacceptable solution.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

......so this is what we are teaching kids...to run for the hills over dooms day crap...

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz

......so this is what we are teaching kids...to run for the hills over dooms day crap...

Ill facepalm your facepalm because you are ignorant of the facts. It's way more than "dooms day crap" now, in one of the schools two kids texted their parents saying their was a shooter in the building, and local tweets were going out about "going out with a bang" or starting a STUDENT REVOLT on that day. Keep in mind Michigan's getting hit by a blizzard right now. Do you still have your blinders on or can you see the whole situation now?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Chill Out
And Keep Calm

Cran

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Why is it always .... 33 ???

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by magickmaster
Why is it always .... 33 ???

I didn't even pick up on that.
Must be a Masonic thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Tomorrow is like new years x 5,120 it should be a time to celebrate!!

Even tho I think it will be a relatively normal day, I think it still will have alot of significance.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
you play wow redmoon? if so what server?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join