It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving breasts a squeeze could hinder cancer growth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Women suffering from breast cancer may benefit from giving their breasts an extra squeeze – literally.

According to researchers from the University of California at Berkeley and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, placing mechanical force on malignant mammary cells can actually reverse their irregular growth process and put them back on track for a normal growth pattern.

“We are showing that tissue organization is sensitive to mechanical inputs from the environment at the beginning stages of growth and development,” said Daniel Fletcher, professor of bioengineering at Berkeley and faculty scientist at the Berkeley Lab, as well as the study’s lead investigator.

Breast tissue grows, shrinks and shifts throughout the course of a woman’s life in a structured pattern – and ultimately stops growing at some point. Breast cancer is often characterized by a breakdown in this normal growth pattern, causing breast cancer cells to grow irregularly.

Through a previous experiment at the Berkeley Lab, researchers showed it was possible to prevent these malignant cells from transforming into a tumor by manipulating the cells’ surrounding environment through the use of biochemical inhibitors. Ultimately the surrounding healthy cells could persuade the cancerous cells to grow normally again.

The most recent work from the Berkeley Lab utilizes the same concept, but introduces mechanical inhibitors rather than chemical inhibitors. The researchers grew malignant breast epithelial cells in a gelatin-like substance, which was injected into flexible silicon chambers. They then applied force to the silicon over time, and ultimately witnessed the malignant cells grow into more healthy-looking cells. Time-lapse microscopy showed the change in the compressed breast cells over time.

While their research is compelling, the researchers do not advocate for compression bras or force alone to treat breast cancer.

“Compression, in and of itself, is not likely to be a therapy,” Fletcher said. “But, this does give us new clues to track down the molecules and structures that could eventually be targeted for therapies.”

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

edit on 19-12-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The normal growth pattern throughout a woman’s life changes in response to her reproductive cycle. Acini, the berry-shaped structures that produce milk during lactation, will rotate as they form an organized structure. When lactation is complete, the cells stop growing. Breast cancers early sign are the deconstruction of this normal growth pattern. Cancer cells continue to grow irregularly when they shouldn’t, and recent studies have shown that they do not rotate coherently when forming acini. The new research out from Berkeley, indicates, that just as a body builder lifts weights (changing the shape of their muscles) compression of the malignant cells, reverse the growth of the cancer.

newscenter.berkeley.edu...

Photo from Foxnews article
www.ted.com...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

So all those yearly exams between the pancake machine, have an added benefit...cool...

Des

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

So what you're saying is, I should play with my gf's ta-ta's as much as possible?

Well I suppose if it's for a good cause...

edit on 19-12-2012 by ProperlyErrant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I think I missed the connection between a keychain flashlight and a boobie flattener.

Is there something there, or is this a glitch?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
I think I missed the connection between a keychain flashlight and a boobie flattener.

Is there something there, or is this a glitch?

Sorry, I had earlier been searching for a new flashlight for the cockpit and some how this got copied/pasted into the title. I hope that it is corrected by now.
Either way, the info is enlightening and can be a hands-on experience. In my haste, I just wanted people to be abreast of this new study.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
ATTENTION: I have just opened a new, sophisticated and innovative cancer treatment center. This is a female treatment facility only, due to the nature of the treatment and cancers related. I will be working with Obama to include this in Obamacare to make this mandatory to get treatment at my facility.
edit on 19-12-2012 by Merlin Lawndart because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProperlyErrant

So what you're saying is, I should play with my gf's ta-ta's as much as possible?

Well I suppose if it's for a good cause...

edit on 19-12-2012 by ProperlyErrant because: (no reason given)

The research says "yes" Although I have not recently dove into the additional research, perhaps there is something to breast feeding the child for an extended period.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ProperlyErrant

Yeah that sounds about right.

I am really starting to love doctors.

First I learn that ejaculating 6 times per week lowers the risk of prostate cancer by 32%.
www.peaktestosterone.com...

Ejaculation . Men who ejaculate at least five times per week had a 32% lower prostate cancer risk. [1, 3] I keep telling you that sex is good for you: now you know it even helps to protect you from prostate cancer. So grab the little woman and make love as if your life depended on it. Who knows? Maybe it really does!

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The study of 2,338 men showed that the guys who masturbated five or more times a week were 34 percent less likely to develop prostate cancer by age 70 than those who handled matters less often.

Then I learn this.

www.lehmiller.com...

The reality is that having sex on a regular basis may actually be good for you. In fact, several studies have suggested that reaching orgasm more often might make you both smarter and healthier.

And now the OP delivers the great news that I get to touch my wife even more.

Wow doctors sure are fantastic lately.

Edit to add: God bless the OP and doctors for informing me of this S&F.

Raist
edit on 12/19/12 by Raist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
This guy is doing his part to prevent cancer.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
What's the irony of this OP being started by a username of Violater1

edit on 19-12-2012 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
What's the irony of this OP being started by a username of Violater1

edit on 19-12-2012 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

True that

Violator is my call sign, 1 is my position within the formation

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The horror of all of this that I have learned recently is that ihave to go to work so that I can eat from time to time.

I think my wife and I can still squeeze in the time (pun intended) for all the fun.

Raist

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

This man tried doing his bit for society lmao

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
And to think that my last roommate filed sexual harassment charges and a restraining order against me. This is what I tried to explain to her when she woke up and caught me, I was just looking out for her health!

You try to help people and they just turn around and spit in your face. No good deed goes unpunished I suppose.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

The reality is that having sex on a regular basis may actually be good for you. In fact, several studies have suggested that reaching orgasm more often might make you both smarter and healthier.

That may be true for women who add blood to the head when orgasming which might make them smarter and healthier in the long run, but draining blood from it as a man could explain a whole lot of the opposite.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

maybe, the blood returns though.

It can make you healthier by getting your heart rate up though.

Raist

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

It's just good science when you think about it.......

I'm definitely going to show this to my wife.

One must make sure one's spouse is as healthy as possible.

Like I said.....it's just good science.........

edit on 19/12/1212 by Krusty the Klown because: Laffing too much while typing.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Many years ago, my husband met, at his workplace, a man who claimed to have psychic abilities after a NDE.
My husband remarked that he didn't believe in that stuff. So the guy decided to prove it to him. He told him a lot of things about our life that turned out to be shockingly accurate (and did convince him).

One fo the things he said was that I will most likely get breast cancer. He said not to get a lot of mammograms though because those could cause it or make it grow faster. He told my husband to massage my breasts a lot, to try to keep it from happening.

.....or at least that is what my husband told me he said. So far I've had no sign of cancer, but he's continuing to follow that advice....

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

LOL, is that right?

Now that you mention it, the head researcher is male......

Funny about that....................

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join