It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Guns" are responsible for 1.2 million deaths every year (not really).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Actually, no. First off, to blame an inanimate object as opposed to an individual, is terribly misguided.

Fact is, the two leading causes of death are heart disease and cancer, accounting for 1.2 million dead. “Guns” don’t even make the top 5, not even the top 10 (8,500 deaths in 2011).

So why is the government and the propaganda network so worried about a cause of death which in comparison, is virtually non-existent?

The same argument can be made in regards to being a victim of “terrorism”. Youre more likely to become President. Youre MUCH more likely to die as a result of an “asteroid apocalypse”.

So why is the government (in the name of terrorism) stripping us of our rights, enacting a police state and spending more money than ever before (almost $1.5 trillion a year) on the Military Industrial Complex and “national security”?

Whether their excuse is “guns” or “terrorism”, it should be clear that these agendas are not about our safety.

edit on 18-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You mean people that improperly use firearms and have no discipline cause 1.2 million deaths a year?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Car Crash Stats: There were nearly 6,420,000 auto accidents in the United States in 2005. The financial cost of these crashes is more than 230 Billion dollars. 2.9 million people were injured and 42,636 people killed. About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States -- one death every 13 minutes.

www.car-accidents.com...

We need to ban cars!!

•On average in the United States in 2010, someone died in a fire every 169 minutes, and someone was injured every 30 minutes (Karter 2011).

www.cdc.gov...

OOPS......We need to ban that terrible fire invention!!

Do I need to keep going??

Just because of the massacre and a hot topic at the moment, guns do save NORMAL people's lives in terrible situations!

Criminals will find a gun, whether there is a law about it or not!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JrDavis

Not even. It was an intentionally misleading headline to demonstrate how much of a non-issue gun violence really is in comparison to the leading causes of death.

I have faith in the ability of my fellow ATS-ers to detect this ploy.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I don't own a gun .. I have zero desire to own a gun..

However..

The idea of "gun control" should be properly handled.. yes we need to not make it easy to acquire a gun, I think background checks are important for those who take the legal route to obtaining them, and I also think it's probably wise to institute a psychological exam..

The key point in what I just said is "the legal route" .. and this is why gun control isn't going to fix anything.. Those people who are truly adamant about getting a gun to commit crimes will get them one way or another.. There's a thing called the black market.

Beyond that ... anyone who's suffering from mental illness or having a psychological break down and is intent on killing another person will find a way to do it .. There are all sorts of weapons in this world, even things that aren't normally weapons can become one if someone is inclined to use it as such..

I fully support the idea of concealed carry because it tends to cut down on certain types of criminal activity.. I know if I were looking to mug someone, I would be hesitant in a state where concealed carry was allowed.. You never know who's packing a gun.. that's the whole point ..

What needs to happen is that everyone needs to take a step back and think about what the real problem here is.. it's mental illness, depression... neglected youth.. the signs seem to always be there in these horrific cases, even in columbine .. but they are often ignored ... We need to do a better job of taking care of our own.

edit on 12/18/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
reply to post by JrDavis

Not even. It was an intentionally misleading headline to demonstrate how much of a non-issue gun violence really is in comparison to the leading causes of death.

I have faith in the ability of my fellow ATS-ers to detect this ploy.

I detected it.. I'm sure others will .. all they need do is read the post.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Don't forget the 3 Million people killed worldwide each year by prescription Pharmaceutical drugs.

So really...organised medicine is a worse killer, by over a factor of two, than guns are.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I've never seen or heard of a gun going out on it's own and killing anyone.

Do we have self aware smart guns that require no human interaction now?

I propose in order to solve the shooting incidents in the U.S., all criminals as well as anyone with an unregistered gun turn them in. Once that happens, the gun violence will decrease by 95%.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin

I propose in order to solve the shooting incidents in the U.S., all criminals as well as anyone with an unregistered gun turn them in. Once that happens, the gun violence will decrease by 95%.

Who commits the other 5% of gun violence?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

And knife and other weapon related violence will increase by 95%... The solution is not weapon control of any kind.. it's people control.... Most of these acts are carried out by people who had a troubled history .. either a history of depression, mental disorder or some other issue that people have noted in the past but ignored.. in every one of these school shootings you hear after the fact about people who noted strange behavior, or you find out they had a history of problems.. those things are what needs to be fixed.. If you took the guns from this kid in CT I'm sure he'd have found another way to kill .. the solution isn't to take the weapons from him, the solution is to treat him before he acts out.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

Who commits the other 5% of gun violence?

Silly to think criminals ( who probably have unregistered weapons to begin with and were obtained illegally ) will turn in their weapons... gun control tends to remove weapons from law abiding citizens ..

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

BEIJING (AP) — A man wielding a knife wounded 22 children and one adult outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes on Friday, the police said.

www.nytimes.com...

Want to see what happens when guns aren't available?? Read above, or any number of threads on ATS regarding this freaking pyscho with a freaking knife!!

People will kill people however they see the crime in their deranged little pyschotic mind!! Gun control is not the answer!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein

BEIJING (AP) — A man wielding a knife wounded 22 children and one adult outside a primary school in central China as students were arriving for classes on Friday, the police said.

www.nytimes.com...

Want to see what happens when guns aren't available?? Read above, or any number of threads on ATS regarding this freaking pyscho with a freaking knife!!

People will kill people however they see the crime in their deranged little pyschotic mind!! Gun control is not the answer!

That story pretty much supports what I said above... I saw another video where a knife wielding man in China stood on a busy sidewalk and stabbed people passing by .. he was able to continue to do this for a considerable amount of time.. several people died.. many people seemed to witness it.. he just kept doing it .. it was caught on surveillance video..
edit on 12/18/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
You know, there is a dirty little secret TPTB don't want anyone talking about....far more interesting to talk about gun deaths. Wanna know the big secret? Shhh.. Don't tell anyone now...

...Life is 100% fatal. (glances around nervously) ... EVERYONE dies.... every last person! shhh.... people could panic or something. Perhaps we ought to ban life? After all, everyone who tries that, dies from it. No exceptions!

new topics

top topics

join