It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man With 47 Guns Planning a Shooting at an Indiana School is Arrested

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Man With 47 Guns Planning a Shooting at an Indiana School is Arrested

news.softpedia.com

Von I. Meyer has been in police custody since Saturday, December 15, following threats of gunning down students and staff at an elementary school in Cedar Lake, Indiana.

According to the Daily Mail, police have found a record of 47 guns in Meyer's residence, when his wife let police know about his threats.

The 60-year-old man tried to intimidate her following an argument on Friday morning, by detailing several scenarios in which he would end her life. He first claimed he would set her on fire, and then went on to boast he would kill her "at the school."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Things are just spiraling out of control.

Another psychotic individual that wants to be remembered.

I'm not about to blame this on guns, but there is something to be said for free media coverage when you snap. I imagine that it's quite appealing to someone who is inclined to kill themselves.

All I know is, this is very troublesome.

news.softpedia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Copycats always come out after something happens, there will be more of these in the future.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
All I know is is this is gonna start getting awfully convenient for gun grabbers.
S&F

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Clearly we need to ban matches and fire.

:/

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I couldnt help but notice how this bit:

A northern Indiana police chief said Sunday he believes a man arrested after allegedly threatening to “kill as many people as he could” at a school was just bluffing when he made the ominous remark during a heated argument with his wife.
has been dropping out of articles as the day goes on. link

Some angry idiot arguing with wife gets charged with intimidation and coincidence and media love of death turns it into something completely different.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by scottromansky
Copycats always come out after something happens, there will be more of these in the future.

Exactly what I'm afraid of... just how out of control will it get? That's the question no one can answer.

The news feeds into the hysteria, another loony latches on to the hysteria and boom another tragedy.

It really, truly is a shame.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This was posted on the 15th in numerous threads.

Not trying to say your thread doesn't have merit. Just saying its not BAN

Anywho, one thing I can say, is that unless you have an FFL and have a license to sell weapons, there is no reason one person should be allowed to own 47 guns.

I almost want to say I could agree with a limit on like 15 guns a single person is allowed to have registered to the, without an FFL.

Almost...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I couldnt help but notice how this bit:

A northern Indiana police chief said Sunday he believes a man arrested after allegedly threatening to “kill as many people as he could” at a school was just bluffing when he made the ominous remark during a heated argument with his wife.
has been dropping out of articles as the day goes on. link

Some angry idiot arguing with wife gets charged with intimidation and coincidence and media love of death turns it into something completely different.

Good catch. Leave to MSM to spin it so they can get the best ratings, I wish I would have caught that first.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If that's the case this thing is gonna turn into a witch hunt. Haha

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

Sure they should be allowed to own as many guns as they want.

Why shouldn't anyone be allowed to own that many, what about collecting old revolutionary/ civil war guns.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo

Anywho, one thing I can say, is that unless you have an FFL and have a license to sell weapons, there is no reason one person should be allowed to own 47 guns.

Grandpa dies and father who already owns ten inherits ten more. Father dies and son who already owns ten inherits twenty.

It's easy to end up with fifty or more guns. Especially if youre a history buff or a competitive shooter across multiple disciplines.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yeah, I could certainly see everything involving any threat of gun violence anywhere getting blown out of proportion now. This article roped me in under false pretenses and I'm usually am pretty vigilant about BS when it's right in my face. Little embarrassing, but hey, it's still a decent topic of discussion.
edit on 17-12-2012 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well, folks Pandora's Box of the armed psychopathic has now been opened and will probably never be closed without some form of hyper social awareness and broad legal action. This will be a historical moment for our the U.S. And perhaps one of the worst periods of safety for the unarmed and innocent.

-Ghoster

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by scottromansky

Indeed there will, could this be why...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

I almost wonder if all these would be copycat stories are completely fake. It certainly would help with the push to ban guns.

It just seems kind of crazy that suddenly all these people are being detained and the government is said to have saved the day again and again.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Someone on a news station said that we shouldn't even know the shooters name because that glorifies it and makes people want to be on TV and famous. They should limit the amount of information that comes out about this stuff, because this kid is now famous for the rest of history and basically got what he wanted, everyone talking about him.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Grandpa dies and father who already owns ten inherits ten more. Father dies and son who already owns ten inherits twenty.

It's easy to end up with fifty or more guns. Especially if youre a history buff or a competitive shooter across multiple disciplines.

If grandpa owned them, they would be antiques, and could be "grandfathered in" to use a terrible pun.

And I *am* an avid IPSC shooter. There are only 6 divisions. Add in a shotgun for skeet, and a rifle for hunting/paper practice, and you still don't get over 15.

No, it's not easy to end up with 50 or more guns. It's a special circumstance. You just had to go through three generations to get to 30. 20 to go...

I am an AVID gun enthusiast, I just posted pics of a few of my arms in another thread.

But no, having 50 guns is not easy to wind-up happening.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by scottromansky

Exactly, the best thing the media can do now is just stop giving these reports a whole day of reporting. I doubt it is helping the situation--as it has already gotten totally out of hand.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

This was posted on the 15th in numerous threads.

Not trying to say your thread doesn't have merit. Just saying its not BAN

I almost want to say I could agree with a limit on like 15 guns a single person is allowed to have registered to the, without an FFL.

Almost...

People with that many are usually collectors. I'm willing to bet money that if they listed them you would find that many are Antiques or some limited edition/historical model. There was a similar incident years ago when the MSM reported a man was arrested with a huge arsenal. What they didn't report was that almost all were antiques such as Civil War muskets and many were nonfunctioning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join