It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GRAVITY AND CRUST DISPLACEMENT??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hi, a thought just occurred to me that might actually explain a great many things about our planet. I am no expert in such fields so i have a question: What would happen to the world (crust, seas, etc...) if the world stopped spinning for a day and we were without gravity for that time?

Thank you,

Andro
edit on 17-12-2012 by Andromerius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Andromerius

If the world stopped spinning a day would last six months.

Gravity has nothing to do with the spinning of the Earth. But if gravity stopped we would float into space with the first step we took.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
if the earth stop spinning
it will be the end of time
the gravity will obviously not be the same either
and our bodies will be in a new environement
like if we were on a new planet (mars for exemple)
we have been living in a heavy gravity all our lifes
imagine if that heavy gravity stop ..

why do you think baseball players put a heavy thing at the end of their bat
if you keep practicing that way .. the normal baseball bat will be very light for you
and you will be stronger

anyone saw DBZ before ? .. Piccolo hats is very heavy
when he take it off it make a small hole in the ground lol ..
he become stronger lighter and faster

also another thing because of the gravity we have since we are close to the sun
planets closer to the sun spiral faster btw
so time on earth goes extremely fast compare to mars or pluto
the spirit world real time goes extremely slow
so if the gravity stops .. will we be able to see the spirits ?
its possible .. like the prophecy said .. the dead will rise

edit on 12/17/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why six months?
If the world stopped spinning, then essentially our whole concept of "time" would cease for as long as the earth was stationary.
But hey, I'm stupid so what do I know, eh?
edit on 17-12-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Six months because the Earth orbits the sun.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

If the world stopped spinning a day would last six months.

Gravity has nothing to do with the spinning of the Earth. But if gravity stopped we would float into space with the first step we took.

I just realized that gravity doesn't have anything to do with the world spinning but with it's mass and so, the pull it exercises over you. Still, food for thought. The moon does not spin but it has gravity. I guess if the earth stopped spinning it would be too cold on the dark side and too hot on the day side, but not for some time. People would have to move to the middle where the transition from day to night would be. Then again, i can imagine the force and energy necessary to stop the earth from spinning. Still, i think between the earth not spinning and not having gravity, the first one would be more likely to happen, no?
Another thought occurred to me: What if it happened before? Could it be explanation for the sudden crust displacement theory? Or the building of gigantic buildings we don't know today how they were built? What about the theory that people were taller then they are today? Can it be affected by gravity along the millenia?

Cheers,

Andro

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andromerius
Hi, a thought just occurred to me that might actually explain a great many things about our planet. I am no expert in such fields so i have a question: What would happen to the world (crust, seas, etc...) if the world stopped spinning for a day and we were without gravity for that time?

Thank you,

Andro

The Earth can stop spinning but we would still rotate around the Sun, Which Rotates around Alcyone, Which rotates around Sirius, Which rotates around the Galactic Center... We rotate around the Sun in a Helical orbit not a flat orbit, the Sun drags the planets along as it moves around Alcyone like a comet drags long it's debris field.. Just FYI info

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The moon does not spin but it has gravity.
The Moon does rotate. I completes one rotation in the time it takes to orbit the Earth.

Still, i think between the earth not spinning and not having gravity, the first one would be more likely to happen, no?
The only thing that could stop the Earth from spinning is an impact by a very large object (planet sized) at just the right angle. But, if an object that size hit Earth there wouldn't be much left of it anyway.

Could it be explanation for the sudden crust displacement theory? Or the building of gigantic buildings we don't know today how they were built? What about the theory that people were taller then they are today? Can it be affected by gravity along the millenia?
No.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RocksFromSpace

Originally posted by Andromerius

Thank you,

Andro

The Earth can stop spinning but we would still rotate around the Sun, Which Rotates around Alcyone, Which rotates around Sirius, Which rotates around the Galactic Center... We rotate around the Sun in a Helical orbit not a flat orbit, the Sun drags the planets along as it moves around Alcyone like a comet drags long it's debris field.. Just FYI info

Yes, i knew that already of course, but what i am saying is, what if it stopped spinning on itself just like the Moon. Remember that the same face of the moon ALWAYS faces earth. In this case, the same are of our planet would always face the sun.

Andro

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Yes, i knew that already of course, but what i am saying is, what if it stopped spinning on itself just like the Moon. Remember that the same face of the moon ALWAYS faces earth. In this case, the same are of our planet would always face the sun.
It can't stop spinning.
The Moon did not stop spinning. It rotates with the same period at which it orbits the Earth. This is because it is tidally locked to the Earth. The Earth is too far from the Sun to become tidally locked to it.

Also:
The Sun does not rotate (or orbit) around Alcyone. Alcyone does not rotate (or orbit) around Sirius. The Sun does not drag the planets like a comet drags its debris field because comets do not drag a debris field.
edit on 12/17/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

It can't stop spinning.
The Moon did not stop spinning. It rotates with the same period at which it orbits the Earth. This is because it is tidally locked to the Earth. The Earth is too far from the Sun to become tidally locked to it.

Alright, well, i was curious to know about the repercussions this would have on the planet and our daily lives, and yes, we would float up, and it is scary because you would die of hunger and thirst it is a big sky...
hehe
Also, i want to apologise for the title of the thread in CAPS, i just realized what i did but does not allow me to change it anymore.
Andro

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

It can't stop spinning.

Also:
The Sun does not rotate (or orbit) around Alcyone. Alcyone does not rotate (or orbit) around Sirius. The Sun does not drag the planets like a comet drags its debris field because comets do not drag a debris field.
edit on 12/17/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Ah, cool, actualy i've been reading in othe threads about this "orbits" around Alcyone and Sirius... heh

Andro

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
if the earth stopped spinning, the heat would build up on the side exposed to the sunlight.. and the other side would begin to cool. which could cause some upheavel, but more than likely kill us off first due to the extremes.

it could be an explanation to saying 3 days of darkness.. the people who prophesised that probably were stuck on the dark side.

tho honestly i would like to think perhaps that the moon comes into some odd once in a so many thousand year cycle stops infront of the sun for 3 days and leaves us in darkness.

gravity is not related to spinning, its the mass of the object.. vs distance from other objects. of equal or higher mass.

it would be more a case of if we stopped spinning our magnetic field would fail, our ozone would collapse. our air would be ionized by gamma rays, and thus the end of life. unless you somehow *survive* until the earth restarts.. and rebuilds itself.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by weavybaby
if the earth stopped spinning, the heat would build up on the side exposed to the sunlight.. and the other side would begin to cool. which could cause some upheavel, but more than likely kill us off first due to the extremes.

it could be an explanation to saying 3 days of darkness.. the people who prophesised that probably were stuck on the dark side.

tho honestly i would like to think perhaps that the moon comes into some odd once in a so many thousand year cycle stops infront of the sun for 3 days and leaves us in darkness.

gravity is not related to spinning, its the mass of the object.. vs distance from other objects. of equal or higher mass.

it would be more a case of if we stopped spinning our magnetic field would fail, our ozone would collapse. our air would be ionized by gamma rays, and thus the end of life. unless you somehow *survive* until the earth restarts.. and rebuilds itself.

Scary thoughts really. Still, the probability of that happening is practically nil unless some huge outside force can do it, maybe like a comet like the one that hit Jupiter but that would also wipe out everything. Another thing i'm thinking about is about the liquid metal core stopping spinning... this surely would affect everything as well.

Andro

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by weavybaby

Never mind the heat from the sun, the heat from the sudden deceleration would scorch the entire surface.

If an object moving at 1000 miles per hour suddenly stops, all that momentum is converted into energy and has to go somewhere....

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
just had something flashed in my mind ..

so thats how the pyramids were build
last time earth had a gravity lost
they used it to make these huge structures ?
has a warning that it will happen again when another cycle ends in the futur

cant wait to start my own pyramid when it happen

will be easier to transport those big blocks

then i will write on rocks the end of the next cycle
i bet futur humans will think its a big hoax
.. just typical lol

edit on 12/17/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

What would happen to the world (crust, seas, etc...) if the world stopped spinning

This was addressed, kind of. Skip to 1:40 for this guy's take on it.

top topics

join