It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN & White Hose: Obama to ban all Assault Weapons - can he do so Unilaterally?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
...or what would it take, congressionally?

He seems totally adamant about it, yet so vague

www.cnn.com...

Washington (CNN) -- The White House said President Barack Obama supports reinstatement of a federal ban on assault weapons -- a position he took in the 2008 campaign but failed to press during his first term. "It does remain a commitment of his," presidential spokesman Jay Carney told reporters as the nation reeled from a mass shooting in Connecticut that mainly killed school children. An emotional Obama did not address that issue directly in a televised statement from the White House on the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown that killed 26 people but said something had to be done. "We're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics," said Obama, the father of two girls.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
How weird would it be if Obama literally came to your house and asked for your gun?

That's about as likely as anyone else coming for mine. Not gonna happen

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

Ever feel as if shootings happen as political fodder?

It's a sickened remark, but also is very sickening to think about... How the president can just play off of emotions while people are still recovering emotionally from what happened... He did the same thing when the Aurora Colorado shooting occurred.
edit on 17-12-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I guess for you people 20 killed kids isn't enough.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mrgone
How weird would it be if Obama literally came to your house and asked for your gun?

Why not?

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
It would be a logistical nightmare and probably more dangerous to attempt to take people's guns, that's why it's not going to happen IMO.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

nope nowhere near close (sounds crass i know) but i dont think any laws should be changed just due to high levels of emotion and a media frenzy whipping people up to try to get rid of a part of our countries history and an important amendment to our constitution,as to the op i dont think he can pass and excutive order on this kind of issue but he could try to get laws passed but with a republican house i dont see that happening atleast not in the next four years

www.cnn.com...
and from bottom of op's link i found this one^

Last year's nearly fatal shooting of Giffords didn't move her state or federal colleagues to adopt any new gun control measures. America is by no means unique to this type of gun crime. But America seems to be the place the whole world thinks of when apparently ordinary people use guns for grotesque acts of violence. America stands alone in its historic and cultural attachment to guns. America stands armed.
from bottom of link
edit on 17-12-2012 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

and assuming my math is correct(it might very well not be) there are a total of(house and senate combined) 248 elected democrats(i think i counted right) and 289 elected republican for a total of 537 of which i believe(again could be wrong)that two thirds of those(358?) would be required to vote to pass a new assault weapons ban and or repeal the 2nd amendment. so if that is the case i dont see it happening as would that not mean that 110 republicans would have to vote for it? and then would not the supreme court then most likely have to rule on the matter?
edit on 17-12-2012 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Why not?

Have you ever worked in the public sector? It's impossible to get anything done.

And besides, my iron isn't a threat to the government. They don't have any reason to knock on my door.

If I'm ever wrong I'll take that back. But, no. No ones coming for mine. I'll be low on that list for sure.

Door to door? That's a logistical nightmare.

Edit:
I still chuckle every time I see your avatar
edit on 17-12-2012 by Mrgone because: for the yuks

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
How weird is it to have military-grade weapons in your home?

Guns for hunting and pistols for self-defense should really be enough. Anything else is for massive orgies of killing, therefore inappropriate for a household.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

my "assault" weapons as you put them are pretty nifty when hunting and you run into a pack of wolves or a bear that wants to get your kill from you and are quite effective at taking out man sized intruders,but i dont think of orgies of killing when i think of them....kinda shows how your just trying to use an emotional situation to sway public opinion by using unrealistic descriptions,ya wanna stop shootings in schools do what the isrelis did arm teachers its stopped any kind of school shooting from happening since they introduced it after a massacre carried out by the PLO in 1974

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

Guns for hunting and pistols for self-defense should really be enough. Anything else is for massive orgies of killing, therefore inappropriate for a household.

As a marine I carried a pistol, a shotgun and an m-16. Sanctioned military weapons. Or, common weapons.

I think that your problem may be with the weapon part. Not the military part

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrgone

It will be a mandatory surrender. Each town will have a depot and everyone will surrender their arms.

If you do not you will be a felon

Wonder where Lord Humongous is today...

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by minnow

Washington (CNN) -- The White House said President Barack Obama supports reinstatement of a federal ban on assault weapons -- a position he took in the 2008 campaign but failed to press during his first term.

Because had he pressed it during his first term there wouldn't have been a second and he knew it....

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Oh, and by the way. I'd never blow my money on the kind of weapons the military pays for. Mass produced weapons created by the lowest bidder? No thanks

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

You... are unloading a full stack of ammo into some wolves? WERE ARE YOU LIVING?! Why are you out there hunting in such an unprofessional way? WHAT are you hunting?

No, there is no excuse for those multi-shot-guns. Use some better ways to hunt than running into bears and wolves.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RalagaNarHallas

my "assault" weapons as you put them are pretty nifty when hunting and you run into a pack of wolves or a bear that wants to get your kill from you and are quite effective at taking out man sized intruders,but i dont think of orgies of killing when i think of them....kinda shows how your just trying to use an emotional situation to sway public opinion by using unrealistic descriptions,ya wanna stop shootings in schools do what the isrelis did arm teachers its stopped any kind of school shooting from happening since they introduced it after a massacre carried out by the PLO in 1974

That is a sensible idea

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

As a marine I carried a pistol, a shotgun and an m-16. Sanctioned military weapons. Or, common weapons.

Yes, I know that those weapons are LEGAL. Are they LOGICAL to have them? I deny that. One doesn't need a weapon which is able to penetrate armor in his/her home.

link   
reply to post by magma

That is comedy gold. You really think that would work, and people would just hand them over? That is by far the most ridiculous proposal ever.

link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by Mrgone

It will be a mandatory surrender. Each town will have a depot and everyone will surrender their arms.

If you do not you will be a felon

Wonder where Lord Humongous is today...

I break laws all the time. Every one does.

Cross the street at the intersection or in the middle of the block? Come to a rolling stop at a stop sign?

I've stated this before, I'll be a felon before a victim.

"Guns? No, I sold those officer. Have a good day"

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Yes, I know that those weapons are LEGAL. Are they LOGICAL to have them? I deny that. One doesn't need a weapon which is able to penetrate armor in his/her home.

Do you pay for insurance? Why? Sounds like nothing bad is ever going to happen to you. Your wasting money.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join