It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

meditation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I have never really meditated, I would like to start what would be some basics, good practices etc to get started?
and what would be some goals?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Do you intend to continue making three liner posts that bring absolutely nothing to the table and are almost impossible to reply to begging people to spoon feed you information.
There is a search function on here, Use that to search for what you would like to find out and if it is not in there THEN feel free to create a new topic.

This post is nothing that hasnt been posted a million times before, We do not need anymore of it

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Firstly, congrats on wanting to meditate. It is a big step to actually want to do it, since it is essentially doing nothing. I had a hard time getting the hang of it so I will just tell you what helped me. First, you need to find out what position your body should be in where you can be completely relaxed. You don't want any of your muscles tensed. I find that the classic 'neutral position' works best for me. This is where you are flat on your back with your arms at your sides, palms up, and with your legs out and bent slightly towards each other, so the soles of your feet are facing each other. Once you are familiar with how to relax yourself it's fun to try other positions but I found this position to be very helpful for teaching myself the mental aspect of meditation, but I digress. Once you are somewhat relaxed, start concentrating on your breath. Most how-tos will tell you to breathe as deep as you can right away, but in my experience, this will slow you down. It's difficult to give accurate direction here because everyone is different. What you want to do is breathe at a rate that YOU personally find relaxing. If it is quick and shallow, it's ok as long as it relaxes you. As you get more relaxed, you should find taking deeper breaths to be easier to accomplish and more relaxing.

Your first goal should be to relax yourself to the point of your body being asleep, without your mind following suit. You want to build your mind's resilience so that you can eventually go into very deep meditative states without getting distracted by outside influences. (or falling asleep) Now, sometimes people meditate while thinking about something, and sometimes they meditate with an empty mind. I find emptying my mind to be much more challenging and rewarding, but focusing on something (most simply your breath) is an excellent way to get your mind used to not doing anything, so that you will be able to get your mind to that empty state.

As far as goals go, meditation is the kind of thing that will take you a great deal of time to get to the point where you will feel that you are really 'good' at it. You will probably fall asleep as you are learning. It is important that you don't let that discourage you. You will get better at it every time as long as you go into it with some determination.

Last thing, this is the reason I am answering your question right now, do what feels right TO YOU. There are people who will tell you that you are meditating wrong if you can't sit in full lotus, or if you aren't doing some chant in your head (or aloud). Meditation can be used to achieve higher states of consciousness, but you will not be able to do any of the really complicated stuff if you don't understand the basics. I think this is why a lot of people don't really get into meditation. There is all kinds of information on how to do it 'right.' Remember that you are different from everyone else in the world, and regardless of established meditative techniques and schools, this all starts with learning how to command your body and mind independently of one another. Learning to quiet will change your life forever, you just have to figure out how to do it.

I hope I was helpful. Best of luck to you in your travels

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
How do you even get a flag for this?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by prostheticmind

Please do not encourage meaningless reposts, The information he is asking for can be found using the search function. Ats spent alot of time working on their search function for a reason

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AsanoSuigin
Do you intend to continue making three liner posts that bring absolutely nothing to the table and are almost impossible to reply to begging people to spoon feed you information.
There is a search function on here, Use that to search for what you would like to find out and if it is not in there THEN feel free to create a new topic.

This post is nothing that hasnt been posted a million times before, We do not need anymore of it

What exactly did you bring to the table with that? You didn't even provide a link to a previously posted thread, as is usually the custom for someone who (usually tactfully) informs an OP of their error.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

What flawed logic. This site has a myriad of information surrounding meditation, from getting started to speculative advanced techniques. I do not need to find the information for this person but as i have been around since this site was essentially started i am aware of how it works.
I and many others here do not appreciate forum saturation with repeated topics, It detracts from active topics.

You ask what i brought to the table? I brought information that will help someone new to this site navigate it better and make more relevant posts that will help foster proper discussion of a specific topic.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Please do not encourage meaningless reposts, The information he is asking for can be found using the search function. Ats spent alot of time working on their search function for a reason

Sounds like you have a personal grudge. If someone wants to know about something that I know about, I will share my knowledge, and I would appreciate you to mind your own business about what I choose to do with my life and time. If you want to troll, I can't tell you not to, but I fail to see how you think it is productive for you to troll people trying to further their lives. Are you that sad about your own life?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

What flawed logic. This site has a myriad of information surrounding meditation, from getting started to speculative advanced techniques. I do not need to find the information for this person but as i have been around since this site was essentially started i am aware of how it works.
I and many others here do not appreciate forum saturation with repeated topics, It detracts from active topics.

You ask what i brought to the table? I brought information that will help someone new to this site navigate it better and make more relevant posts that will help foster proper discussion of a specific topic.

You have been around since the site started but you only have 7 posts? That does not sound believable to me

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

There you go. Have fun!!

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

You ask if i am sad? No.
This site works in a particular way, It is no personal grudge. Meaninless topics and reposts are actually against the terms of the website and im pretty sure mods will see this and remove the thread anyway .
I was letting him know it wasnt how it is done here, And to be honest you should know this too.

Again no personal grudge i was just the first person on this thread to tell him to use the search function before wasting others time. If you feel the need to share what you know about the topic of meditation then please feel free, As a fan of the topic i would never intend to stop you spreading knowledge, But since you also do not know please leave discussion of meditation to active topics about it, If you have something you wish to share that there is currently no active topic about then please feel free to create a post to outline it. One again though this post is not any of those things so is completely unnecessary .

Yes i have been here for several years, Whether you chose to believe this or not is of zero interest to me, But YOU might be interested to know that you are not limited to one account on this site and that there are legit personal reasons for having multiple accounts that i do not feel i need to go into with you.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

you know it tells you when you registered on the site right next to your avatar dont you. It would be slightly silly for me to lie about something so obviously false.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AsanoSuigin

Also you may want to know that if it is a personal discussion you would like to have then there are messaging facilities that ats provides for its members.
you can u2u each other about anything you would like.
But once again such discussion is not suited to creating an entire new topic for.

I am sorry you feel so strongly about this and need to react in such an aggressive manner but this forum and many others have been saturated by useless timewasting posts and I and the majority of ats users would like to see them gone and the new topic rules followed

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The Devil WILL give you power, but it comes with a very heavy price:

"Rolling Thunder, a shaman leader in the Shoshone and Cherokee tribes, states, "If it is not done correctly, evil spirits can get into people while they are meditating."

Because of modern reluctance to deal forthrightly and responsibly with the category of the demonic, meditation is one of the common methods available for becoming possessed by spirits who are really demons. Endless numbers of gurus, psychics, mediums, other occultists, and even scholarly authorities testify to this. For example, Dr. Weldon’s Ph.D. dissertation researched over 30 different Hindu and Buddhist gurus, and every one had been spirit-influenced or possessed, apparently during their meditative practices.

Here we cite several authorities to show that meditation can and does lead to demon possession. India-born Douglas Shah, the grandson of Yogi Ishwar Dayal, observes,

"I have watched Hindu worshipers by the scores chanting for hours before idols during a special Puja (worship) Season, and I have literally felt the supernatural presence of the gods they were invoking." He comments that "being taken over by an evil spirit… is a very real possibility" in meditation. British scholar Os Guinness states: "Many… who practice yoga or Zen Meditation have found they have opened their minds to blackness and spiritism, seeing themselves as mediums and describing themselves as possessed."

Consider an experience of Swami Muktananda, who describes the results of his meditation. In his spiritual autobiography he writes that "when I sat for meditation [my] own body acted as if [it] were possessed by a god or a bad spirit."

My mind was sick with fear. I feel sure that I am going to die tonight of heart failure.... I don’t think I shall live through this night, and if I do, it will be to go mad. I am losing my mind...."

Demon Possession & Meditation

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The exact same topic almost, on the first page if you search for the topic title of this thread in the ats search function.

edit on 16-12-2012 by AsanoSuigin because: apparently i have terrible grammer haha

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by AsanoSuigin

Mods please close this thread before it gets any more clicks thank you

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

you know it tells you when you registered on the site right next to your avatar dont you. It would be slightly silly for me to lie about something so obviously false.

Yeah, it says 22-11-2012. If you are going to throw a little fit though, it is good form to provide a link. If you are actually doing it to inform someone of how it goes, then you link to an active topic. Someone who has been around so long should know that. As you can see, I have not been around long, but every time I see someone going off on someone for making a repeat topic, they inform the offender that there is a search function and link to an active topic. It's just the decent thing to do. Aside from that, I come on here every day and (forgive me if I am wrong, and show me a LINK) I have not seen any active meditation topics lately. Everything has been people crying about gun control and the end of time.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The exact same topic almost, on the first page if you search for the topic title of this thread in the ats search function.

edit on 16-12-2012 by AsanoSuigin because: apparently i have terrible grammer haha

That wasn't hard, was it? Be a decent person man. You seriously sounded like a royal douche until you just made with a link.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

perhaps you should check the philosophy and metaphysics forum for posts on meditation instead of just relying on the front page or general conspiracies forum.
I do not need to search for him just because others have chose to babysit reposters in the past. I am not them- I am myself.
You keep hinting that my statement mentioning the length of time i have spent on this forum as false, Again i could not care less if this was your opinion, The people here that know me personally know this to be true.

Again the search function can do alot of good if you know how to use it and can save you getting all accusative and defensive when someone explains to a new member how to CORRECTLY use this site

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

No. I do not feel i sounded like a royal douche. I never insulted anyone or tried to detract from anyones way of life. Something you immediately jumped to .
Just realised that you have requested i be a decent person. I am, Although i wasnt aware that you knew me personally. Could you please tell me who you are, How you know me, And what has caused you to be of the opinion that i am not a decent person?

This is so far off topic now, Could the mods please please remove it
edit on 16-12-2012 by AsanoSuigin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join