It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Knife's have multiple uses, guns don't

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth
I think the word you are going for is "Knives".
Maybe I'm wrong, who the hell knows and really cares?!

Anyway, guns do have multiple uses:
1) Sport (accuracy)
2) Hunting
3) Military Implications (defense, attacking, shooting terrorists, innocent children in undeclared wars over oil etc)
4) Defense (against home intruder or assailant)

Everything has multiple uses. In 6th grade I made a bong out of a telescope.

The functions are different based on the mechanics of it all and i think perhaps that's what yo meant.
In other words, "gun go boom" and that's all. But that's just the mechanics. "Knife go cut" too, ya know.

knife's knive's who cares, it reads the same even if i type knfies you still know what i mean. Why cant you just eat the bullet and admit they are for killing, they are killing machines and the fact that there are 310 million guns in the USA is killing your own people. America is not a barbaric country, why do u need all these guns. there is mabye 3 valid other uses for guns, but they are built to kill things. If you can't see this, well im wasting my time.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
Cool another thread about this crap...did ATS crack a million threads on the same subject yet???????

Looks like this increase in shooting reports is working out just the way they were intended too.

There a no other threads about knifes not being killing appliances as far as i could see, if there is then i apologize

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Undeadlady
The reason for me making this thread is because i have seen lots of comments on various threads saying things along the lines of " why don't they ban knife's as well then" This is not a valid point, knife's have multiple uses, cutting meat, eating with, skinning things, carving things.
Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me. So to all the posters who have said, ban knife's then, ban tools etc etc, your point is not valid, Gun's end life nothing more, no other use for it, nada .

Hmmm..... Thats odd... I currently have a respectable collection of firearms and have, at various times, across my whole life time. I reload my ammunition and I would estimate, conservatively, I've fired somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand rounds over my life. Once out of my teen years and a downright unhealthy idea about sport shooting I grew out of...thankfully...I've never shot a thing I didn't eat and not many of those actually.

Most of those many, many thousands of rounds of ammunition have been fired on ranges, tactical courses, competition or practicing for the above things. Some of it was just blowing off steam or having a release for stress ...in a place properly designed and built for gunfire ...with that very thing in mind.

To say that guns exist solely for the purpose of killing is to say you've never owned a gun yourself or..if you have..never viewed your own in any other way. However, there are many people who make very good livings with guns and never kill anything in the process. Professional competitors, action shooters, trainers and more.

Guns have a wide variety of uses...to those who aren't narrowly focused on their best known and yes, primary design purpose. Just my thoughts...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
reply to post by Undeadlady

Not every shot is fatal. Just like not every knife wound is fatal... your argument is rather weak.

There is still a huge difference. Take for example the stabbing in china where 20 children was involved. Nearly everyone survived and are just injured. If this same person had a gun, then most if not all would be dead.
Why is this FACT so damn hard to understand?? There is a reason why USA is ontop of the western world when it comes to death by gunshots.

If this guy only had a knife then there is no way he would have been able to kill that many.
edit on 16-12-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

link   

Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that

there is mabye 3 valid other uses for guns

Which is it?

link   

No man thats wrong. Violence when being assaulted in the street is very different from what most people believe. It's almost counter intuitive.

there is no difference time wise between a knife getting deployed on a victim, hitting home and doing it's job and a gun. The weapons are used differently. In general a knife is much worse than a gun in a assault situation where you are ambushed by a mugger or worse. The guy coming at you with a knife is not going to stand in the middle of a lit alley with the knife out in plane view and chase you down corner you and then stab you like in some hollywood movie. You are simply going to be walking, distracted on your ipod thinking nothings wrong when a guy jumps out from the shadows less than two feet away. A guy you never (more like never noticed, you probably did see him) saw because you had no situational awareness. If you had had situational awareness the guy wouldn't have picked you to ambush and attack in the first place. The point is the guy will show up out of nowhere and shank you with the equivalent of a sucker punch, which is really not a defensible thing. You will simply just get what you suspect is punched in the chest and ribs a bunch of times by the attacker, but the punches are really knife penetrations and they just happen to fast for you to realize what's going on. By the time you do a few seconds later you are bleeding out and going into unconsciousness to never wake up again. The guy has you wallet and you die in a pool of blood with probably your loaded sidearm, can of mace, taser whatever still undeployed in your pocket.

ANother thing to consider. A knife leaves a much broader and nastier wound channel than a bullet. A knife strike does more damage to the body than a bullet strike usually. Like I said. Violence can be counter intuitive.

People often just don't understand how violence really plays out.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Knifes can kill just as quickly is handled properly. A gun is also a poor weapon if the handler has no clue/experience so the 99% death rate you mentioned is farcical at best.

Yes but any moron can kill with a gun, how many expert knife stabbers do you know, my death rate is valid

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

reply to post by Merriman Weir

The point is if it's legal you can get real professional training on how to use and maintain a gun safely. If it's illegal I'm guessing all you can do is go in your backyard, hit a few cans and hope that when it comes down to it you're prepared.

I'd rather have real training thank you very much

I don't dispute any point about gun safety but how does what you've written here:

Knifes can kill just as quickly is handled properly.

relate to the rest of your posts? Outside of films and comics this is a nonsense as I pointed out above.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

So it's 'death rate"that matters to you? What is your acceptable "death rate" 1? 3? Kinda sick actually. Look you obviously don't live in the U.S. So frankly you don't have a say in it. You can rant all you want but I and millions of my fellow Americans are never going to give up our firearms. Why don't you try and make your own country a better place and let us worry about ours.

link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me.

Clay pigeon shooting.

Nice one, but are the not large rifle types, with special bullets, not the type you can fire in rapid succession? I could be wrong as i know nothing about guns, only they are designed to take away life.

Yet you hate them all and they're all for killing, though you just admit you know nothing about them?

Whereas 'knife's' (sic) are just fine.
edit on 16-12-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)
#

Yes. exactly my point the only thing worth knowing about guns is they kill things, there is no other usefull thing for them.thank you for confirming that, what else is there to know. Also im from a country where we don't allow every member of the public to own guns, probably because every few days someone would die if we did. Therefore my lack of knowledge.

And where did i say i "hated guns" i did not say this, is said knifes have multiple uses therefore all the ban knifes as well comments are just silly.
edit on 16-12-2012 by Undeadlady because: (no reason given)

link   

Any moron can take a ladle and hit you to death with it.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
1. target shooting, it's an Olympic sport.

2. hunting for food.

3. The stopping of someone else with a gun (this owner never had to fire a shot to stop the killer).

Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

4. Protection while in the woods against animal predators.

So there are 4 reasons to own a gun that doesn't involve killing a human.

You forgot using the butt end of a rifle or shotgun against liberals who need an attitude adjustment

I guess ole Ron White was correct. You cant fix stupid, sadly we have way to much of it in this country thanks to the whole Poetically correct crowd.

link   

Gun's are made for one thing, to KILL, simple as that, if someone knows of another use for a gun other than ending life, can you please share it with me.

Clay pigeon shooting.

Nice one, but are the not large rifle types, with special bullets, not the type you can fire in rapid succession? I could be wrong as i know nothing about guns, only they are designed to take away life.

Thank you. You just illustrated why gun-owners get so defensive. You admit that you know nothing at all about guns yet your mind is made up about them and you wish them to be banned. Unfortunately, your situation mirrors nearly 100% of all anti-gun advocates. "I know nothing about it but someone told me it's bad so let's ban it!" The same thing happened with marijuana and we all see how well that has worked.

Ignorance is the root of every poorly conducted argument and, unfortunately, a lot of legislation has been passed based entirely on ignorant viewpoints.

Please don't let someone else make up your mind for you. Educate yourself. Your opinion currently make as much sense as "I saw a drunk driver kill someone in a Honda Civic so all Hondas should be banned!"

link   

Knifes can kill just as quickly is handled properly. A gun is also a poor weapon if the handler has no clue/experience so the 99% death rate you mentioned is farcical at best.

Yes but any moron can kill with a gun, how many expert knife stabbers do you know, my death rate is valid

Just a note here...but how many police shootings have we seen in just recent months where dozens of rounds are fired but only a few hits are scored on the intended target? These are guys trained and tested on a regular schedule for skills with their firearm. They still miss most of the time in real world situations. It takes skill to kill with a firearm, contrary to countless movies which make 100 yard shots look like something any kid can do.

Knives on the other hand? As another poster noted...it's not a stand off weapon. People don't miss. It's very close, fast, personal and irreversible. I've never had the displeasure, but those who have been stabbed tell me it's exactly like the other message says. You feel like you're being punched...not stabbed...and it's a bit confusing why your body isn't working quite right at first.

Guns..Knives...whatever. The weapon isn't the problem and outlawing it isn't the solution. We have a psychosis problem, not a weapon problem, IMO.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Any moron can take a ladle and hit you to death with it.

No this is not true, i could easily overpower the guy and take the ladle, if he has a gun, he shot and killed me from a distance.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Just a note here...but how many police shootings have we seen in just recent months where dozens of rounds are fired but only a few hits are scored on the intended target? These are guys trained and tested on a regular schedule for skills with their firearm. They still miss most of the time in real world situations. It takes skill to kill with a firearm, contrary to countless movies which make 100 yard shots look like something any kid can do.

Knives on the other hand? As another poster noted...it's not a stand off weapon. People don't miss. It's very close, fast, personal and irreversible. I've never had the displeasure, but those who have been stabbed tell me it's exactly like the other message says. You feel like you're being punched...not stabbed...and it's a bit confusing why your body isn't working quite right at first.

Guns..Knives...whatever. The weapon isn't the problem and outlawing it isn't the solution. We have a psychosis problem, not a weapon problem, IMO.

Is no one getting my point here, i hear what you are saying, stabbing/knifes can kill, WE KNOW THIS but knifes are not made for killing only, GUNS ARE !!!!

So why on earth make it legal for every American to be armed, this is asking for trouble and total stupidity, can't u see that.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

UH yeah. You read his post right. Guns are used all the time in the USA to teach kids responsibilities and maturity in serious situations and around serious tools. The kids going to have to grow up sooner or later and taking a 12-14 year old down to the range and teaching him gun safety and how to operate a 22 is a excellent method to teach and instill these qualities in kids. You can literally see the kids man up and become more mature in a matter of hours down at the range learning with their dad or the boyscouts how to use a adult tool.

Go down to the local outdoor range on a weekend and watch all the kids with their dads learning to shoot. heck watch the teens working as range safety officers and you will be surprised with the amount of maturity these kids have.

Don't confuse normal human beings learning how to use a tool with a psycho misusing the same tool. They are not the same thing.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Clay pigeon shooting.

Yet you hate them all and they're all for killing, though you just admit you know nothing about them?

Whereas 'knife's' (sic) are just fine.
edit on 16-12-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)
#

Yes. exactly my point the only thing worth knowing about guns is they kill things, there is no other usefull thing for them.thank you for confirming that, what else is there to know. Also im from a country where we don't allow every member of the public to own guns, probably because every few days someone would die if we did. Therefore my lack of knowledge.

And where did i say i "hated guns" i did not say this, is said knifes have multiple uses therefore all the ban knifes as well comments are just silly.

I haven't confirmed anything at all.

I've already given an example of them not being used for killing and really, as that was your initial supposition and the whole object of your thread, your further arguments are invalid.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

knife's knive's who cares, it reads the same even if i type knfies you still know what i mean. Why cant you just eat the bullet and admit they are for killing, they are killing machines and the fact that there are 310 million guns in the USA is killing your own people. America is not a barbaric country, why do u need all these guns. there is mabye 3 valid other uses for guns, but they are built to kill things. If you can't see this, well im wasting my time.

You do know that a long time ago. Long sharp sticks were used to hunt, kill and protect.
This primitive instrument evolved into what is known as a knife. Knives are for killing to ya know.
I have a friend in Georgia (Crazy out doorsman) who hunts wild boar for sport with one bare hand
and knife in the other. Knives were built to kill things as well.

Does your head explode when you think of the paradoxical and oxymoronic bayonet?

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisToiletEarth

I have a friend in Georgia (Crazy out doorsman) who hunts wild boar for sport with one bare hand
and knife in the other. Knives were built to kill things as well.

I'm shocked this doesn't read 'had a friend'!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join