It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Change the law to allow Teachers and UNIVERSITY Students carry guns

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
There is a school in Texas that has some teachers that carry guns. It has worked perfectly. Which teachers are carrying guns is kept secret. So it is being done with no bad consequences. Letting students carry guns is a bad idea, but a well chosen teacher or 3 is workable.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by cdesigns

I have a hard time imagining a kindergarten teacher being comfortable being armed. I saw the picture of the school principal that was killed at the New Town school. She didn't look like the kind of person who would procure a gun for the purpose of killing someone, even if they were shooting the place up around her.

It takes a certain attitude to carry a weapon with the confidence and willingness to use it.

I know a few college professors, and the same thing holds with them. They're mildly nerdy and really kind hearted people, who wouldn't be comfortable with a gun in their desk drawer.
edit on 15-12-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Wow, you guys on ATS have started to change. Asking for metal detectors at every school? Have we finally seen enough that we are willing to go totalitarian?

Metal detectors don't kill kids.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns

Originally posted by DaTroof
Do you really think you can employ ONE perfectly trained armed security guard at EVERY school in America and expect NO problems?

Do you really think putting MORE weapons into a crowded environment increases safety?

You, my friend... are naive.

Texas allow teachers to carry, if someone tries to do a massacre in one of those schools I'm pretty sure you will have less fatalities than on school with anti-gun laws.
edit on 15-12-2012 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

If, if, if...

We won't know until when. My solution involves there never being a when.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
DO YOU UNDERSTAND that banning guns will NOT DO CRAP to bad people minds, they will not give them away, they will say "Hey now I know for sure no one will shoot me back because the guns are banned"

I love how many anti-gun people when they experience a robbery, home invasion or similar things are the first in a gun shop telling their story and buying a gun.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Can't believe this got stars.

Can you imagine sitting in a library trying to concentrate with 20 kids all armed with pistols? No one would be able to keep focus.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Yep, and a security guard in a library would be the first target of a crafty criminal intent on shooting the place to pieces, donned in body armor and semi- automatic weapons.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

How about we enforce the laws we have?

How about we work on some sort of a gun control mental health compromise so as to address the serious problems with each. The reason we have all these shootings is due to the prevalence of weaponry combined with the lack of mental stability or any useable tests to determine same?

Until we get the health issue under some kind of control we should limit the availability of guns to people who know how to secure them from possible theft and use by criminals and the deranged.

Now notice I did not say ban guns or affect gun rights at all...we should control them a lot better than we do however and anyone that doesn't admit that while you give the multitude of OTHER rationalizations, such as "we don't have enough guns" is not thinking clearly or rationally. We live in close quarters with each other and it is impractical for us all to be armed. This is why some of us moved to more populated areas...to live harmoniously under the rule of law - not every man for himself.

The only problem I see is that if you see the numbers 10,000,000 people buy guns legally from those less than .01% has mental problems and end up doing something like this. and Most of this people get guns from familiy members also, its very hard to implement a mental exam to sell a gun.

We should throw the book at people whose gun is stolen and used in a crime. Of course this mother is dead so there isn't much more we can do to her but ultimately she is responsible for letting her own gun get into the hands of this kid.

It would make more sense to severely charge and punish people who let their firearm get away from them, thus enforcing the proper security measures taken for whatever gun you are licensed to own.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
Can't believe this got stars.

Can you imagine sitting in a library trying to concentrate with 20 kids all armed with pistols? No one would be able to keep focus.

Like it or not people in public libraries carry ALL THE TIME, they carry concealed.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

And you are pretty damn naive if you think that letting students carry guns will stop future school shootings.
I guess missed those shootings that were done by STUDENTS themselves??
It is funny how such school massacres has never ever happened here where i live where guns are banned. The only real incident we had was the bombings and shootings by breivik.
And most killings here are done with knives here, which means that the gun law has actually prevented quite a few deaths in this country. A lunatic with a knife cant do anywhere near as much damage as a lunatic with a gun.

But I guess most of you will just ignore such FACTS like usual even though USA has most gun related crime in all the west if not the whole world.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I think mental heath evaluation, medication and treatment should be FREE in this country, to protect the greatest number of people in the most affordable way possible.

If you say we can't afford another "entitlement" I'll have to ask you to add up the "cost" of damage and loss here in this one incident...then add up the others. Note they are increasing in severity and incidence and no end is in sight. It is well worth whatever it costs. Then maybe we wouldn't have to change the gun laws. Otherwise - we most certainly will.

Mental heath treatment should be free....and I think the solution is to have it subsidized, completely paid for by the NRA, and gun manufactures... Anyone who encourages the weaponization of America. Far fetched maybe, but you get the idea. Sort of a way to pick up their mess.

It is in their best interest to treat everyone for their mental health issues before selling them a gun or encouraging someone else to do so. It is just taking responsibility for your product.

Let them foot the bill for the Country's "mental health" assurance and insurance. Let them assure healthy people and responsible preparedness of gun owners, before they take it upon themselves to weaponize everyone. It is the least they can do.

edit on 15-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

And you are pretty damn naive if you think that letting students carry guns will stop future school shootings.
I guess missed those shootings that were done by STUDENTS themselves??
It is funny how such school massacres has never ever happened here where i live where guns are banned. The only real incident we had was the bombings and shootings by breivik.
And most killings here are done with knives here, which means that the gun law has actually prevented quite a few deaths in this country. A lunatic with a knife cant do anywhere near as much damage as a lunatic with a gun.

But I guess most of you will just ignore such FACTS like usual even though USA has most gun related crime in all the west if not the whole world.

Once again, I'm talking about 21yrs old university students and teachers NOT 5th or 6th graders carrying guns.

In the USA it will be IMPOSSIBLE to do a ban on guns, you will have a next day civil war in your hands, there are more guns than people in the USA right now. There are more guns and people armed than all military in the world combined.

Once again GUNS ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE, you need to work around them and there is a lot of University students and teachers that carry everyday but they don't do it in schools.

Right NOW there is no way to invest on expensive metal detectors and change school layout to control the people going in and out, some universities are HUGE bigger than small towns, even with armed security guards they will not be able to pay their salaries.

The quickest way to reduce a massacre like that will be allowing people to carry if they have their permit to do so.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Once again, I'm talking about 21yrs old university students and teachers NOT 5th or 6th graders carrying guns.

Then I suggest you change the title of this thread and edit the first sentence of your initial post.

You are inviting people to jump to the wrong conclusions with this thread.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Severin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Severin

Then I suggest you change the title of this thread and edit the first sentence of your initial post.

It is an idiotic idea to begin with.

People who grew up around guns and are comfortable and responsible owners should not lose their right to conceal carry and own their guns, this includes 21 year olds, but guns should not be pushed on teenagers or a naive public.

One incident recently the Police, expert shots, killed more bystanders trying to take down the shooter than the shooter killed. I hardly think arming everyone else is the solution. That = more dead. I find this idea of the OP seems to be perpetuated by paranoid militants who claim to be fearful of a government takeover - meanwhile they are stockpiling automatic weapons. Who do they think they are kidding? They are planning a revolution or an organized uprising if "liberals" so much as look at them funny....
We have more to worry about and fear being taken over by the insane lunatics of the "armed citizens militia" in this country than by our government.

edit on 15-12-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Why do you think 21+ year old adults aren't capable of misjudgments based on emotion? Frontal lobes in some people don't fully develop until 25, and even then some adults have the emotional intelligence and judgement of a sixth grader.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Agreed.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

How about we enforce the laws we have?

How about we work on some sort of a gun control mental health compromise so as to address the serious problems with each. The reason we have all these shootings is due to the prevalence of weaponry combined with the lack of mental stability or any useable tests to determine same?

Until we get the health issue under some kind of control we should limit the availability of guns to people who know how to secure them from possible theft and use by criminals and the deranged.

Now notice I did not say ban guns or affect gun rights at all...we should control them a lot better than we do however and anyone that doesn't admit that while you give the multitude of OTHER rationalizations, such as "we don't have enough guns" is not thinking clearly or rationally. We live in close quarters with each other and it is impractical for us all to be armed. This is why some of us moved to more populated areas...to live harmoniously under the rule of law - not every man for himself.

The only problem I see is that if you see the numbers 10,000,000 people buy guns legally from those less than .01% has mental problems and end up doing something like this. and Most of this people get guns from familiy members also, its very hard to implement a mental exam to sell a gun.

That is what we can't do.
What can we do?

Short of arming everyone....can we think of workable and real solutions
to this problem that does not involve that answer? That is the task at hand.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I truly believe there is a proper way of ensuring the security of children in school; elementary or college. If teachers are to be armed, they should have extensive training quarterly and certified through the state troopers office. Those teachers should see an increase in pay as well.

I have heard people say that we live in a "gun crazed" society. That is ridiculous if you compare society to the 1900's through the 1700's. Everyone had a gun back then. Yes, people did do bad things back then, but that has always been happening.

Benjamin Franklin said it best, "Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security. " We have the freedom to own a firearms to defend ourselves and families from enemies foreign and domestic.

Guns are not the problem; it is apathy. How did we get to this point is the problem. It is taking God out of everything that is the problem. Without God our society has lost morale's, respect, honor, integrity for the lives of others. We need to go back to God and the right way to live our lives and run our country to correct way. I hope and pray that everyone will realize this and turn back to God and His Holy Word. Otherwise, expect more of the same and even worse.

God Bless All of You!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Severin

The problem is that they don't read all, they just read the Tittle and jump into replying. I just updated the tittle.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The answer is not adding more guns to the mix. People with guns will just cause more problems. You will just end up with more accidental shootings, people losing it at school and shooting each other etc. And if something like what happened CT were to occure they most likely would end up shooting each other on accident. Adding guns is just as dumb as trying to ban them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join