It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

in respnse to the CT shooting, I will be visiting my daughters school on Monday.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I live in North Dakota, and my daughter started kindergarten this year. Never once has the thought of something like what happened in CT would or could happen here. I am convinced it doesn't matter anymmore. I know for a fact that during school hours every door is open allowing any one access at all times. I also went in one day to pick my daughter up from school early to go to a doc appt. I walked into her class she got her stuff and we left. An hour later my wife was called saying our daughter was missing. She wasnt she was with me. I guess I was supposed to sign her out but I didnt know that. We walked right passed the office and even waved to the secretary as we left. No effort was every made to id me or to inform me of this policy to which I didnt know they had.

I want to go in on Monday and talk about what they plan on doing or changing for security purposes after todays events. I hope they take it seriously and dont just blow off by saying that it cant happen here. It can happen anywhere and I want to know how they plan on keeping my child safe when I send her to school.

What questions do you think I need to have answered when I go in and talk with them on Monday morning?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

What questions do you think I need to have answered when I go in and talk with them on Monday morning?

Ask them what you need to do in order for your child to be home schooled.

edit on 14-12-2012 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thatonedude

Thats funny because we had been home schooler but we decided she needed to be around kids her age so her social development didnt suffer. Would be hard to go back to one income family and decide which of us home school her but in the end her safety is all that matters. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I agree with this post. These soft targets really need to be looked at. The problem is when somebody wants to tighten security people complain they don't want to be in a prison.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
if one (maybe 2?) lone gunman can massacre so many kids (20-30?)

it makes me wonder how many kids,civilians will be killed when a few Americans get together and storm the next school, mall, or theater... hundreds?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elmrich

yup I know what ya mean. Its a delicate balance but when it comes to my childs safety when she is not with me or my wife I will err on the side of more security then less of it.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by minnow

Im really surprised the Mall of America has not been hit yet. Largest mall in the country. Can you imagine how many people would be in there on black friday? Could easily have a 4 didgit death toll. But thats something that scares the hell out of me since it is close to me.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I think it may be helpful to speak to other parents at the school for their support so you can approach the school as a group and ask them to reconsider their policies on child safety and give them a set time to respond.
Going off what you told me and how easy it was for you to gain access to a child's classroom and take her ...I would say there are a lot of issues and worries on a lot of levels!

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Considering what happened, I imagine most, if not all, schools will tighten there security policies. I can even see the day where it will be easier to get into a prison than into a school.

I believe in a safe and secure school, but at what point is security taking to extremes. I know at my daughters school, the doors are locked, have to show id, but anybody can still drive up there and just wait till they all rush out.

If somebody is crazy enough, guess they will find a way.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I seen on O'reilly about an hour ago where O'reilly and Geraldo were discussing the need for every public school to have a police officer present. I agree with this line of thinking. At the very least hire armed security guards. You never know but having an armed presense may be enough to discourage someone from trying a mass shooting. These people love to target unarmed targets.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by elmrich

I seen on O'reilly about an hour ago where O'reilly and Geraldo were discussing the need for every public school to have a police officer present. I agree with this line of thinking. At the very least hire armed security guards. You never know but having an armed presense may be enough to discourage someone from trying a mass shooting. These people love to target unarmed targets.

My last two years of high school we had an officer on duty. We had fights but nothing involving guns. This shooting should at least urge parents to get more involved in their children's schools and press these institutions for safer grounds. If guns really aren't the problem, schools should still be vigilant and prepared in case of an attack by someone with guns. Expect the best, prepare for the worst. We can easily combat this phenomenon without banning guns altogether, or even assault rifles which would just be the governments initial step... with more restrictions to come.

We must explore all options, not just jump to the stricter gun law option.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
right now here in Texas we are going through some tough times also,not on this scale,but it could turn into it,right now all schools are closed down until 17th of this month we had 9 bomb threats at my grandchilds high school also the junior high in the past two weeks also rumors of a shooting at the school on the 21st, they had to be evacuated every time,It is sad when we cannot send our children to school without the fear that it maybe the last time we see them, I so feel for the parents and the adults who lost their love ones.We are debating on keeping her out of school

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
In our town of Trumbull, Like Newtown all the schools have locked doors. You have to press a button and a school admin. will ask your bussines , the box has a button, a two way voice system and a camera to see you.
But in Newtown the shooter shot his way in.....hope this helps.
edit on 15-12-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by elmrich

I saw that. I think that is an idea that seriously needs to be thought about

top topics

join