It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How will gun control prevent murder? -honest question

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bodhi7
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Nope. You've watched too much tv. You have no idea how ridiculous you sound by claiming someone selling drugs automatically knows how to get illegal weapons. That is a completely different, and much more dangerous trade. I've never met a drug dealer in my life that had ANYTHING to do with selling guns. You might want to get out more.
This will be my last response o this aspect of this topic.

Drug dealers have guns and access to more. If you don't believe me, call your local police and ask them how many drug dealers are arrested with weapons on or near them. Ask why the drug business is so violent and how that violence is carried out.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

I've known too many people that have access to finding/selling illegal firearms, and every single one of them also sold drugs... the two go hand in hand

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

No. SOME do. You're talking as if you believe every single person that sells drugs also can sell guns, that simply is not true and pretty ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bodhi7

I was one of those people. Blood and Crips are drug dealers but no they dont sell guns, ms13 are drug dealers nope they dont sell guns, hells angels are drug dealers they offered me hand grenades. You dont seem to realize the difference between a dealer and a weed man.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
After doing some research about the number of unregistered or illegal guns in the US, I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to know just how many are out there, but the number is in the millions.
So, very real question to the people who want to ban guns, or promote gun control. (And lets keep this civil and educated)

How will having much tighter gun control laws, prevent a person with the intent to do harm, from doing so? Keeping in mind it is very easy to get your hands on an unregistered gun in the US.

Control control fans, lets hear some "cause and effect". Enlighten me.

I come from a country where guns are highly regulated. In my everyday life I have never seen anyone holding a gun or even talking about shooting a gun (except army stories). I think that's why even criminals don't use much guns, because it's something that is hard to get AND out of their comfort zone (they have never used one or heard friends using it).

I think problem with US is that guns are so embedded to your culture that it's the first thing people think about when they want to hurt somebody. You seem to even just go shooting stuff with friends in a desert. Making guns more difficult to get would mean less of my friends would have a gun, which would mean I would be less likely get one. This will not happen overnight, but once it starts it might have a huge effect. I would think that if armed robber comes to my house I have better chance to survive if I don't have a gun than if I do.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zonetripper2065

I can only think he is referring to his high school buddies that deal to their classmates. I would bet that even they could get a gun from their supplier if they wanted one.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbore
I would think that if armed robber comes to my house I have better chance to survive if I don't have a gun than if I do.
You may think that, and for you it might even be true. It would not be true for me.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Nope. You've watched too much tv. You have no idea how ridiculous you sound by claiming someone selling drugs automatically knows how to get illegal weapons. That is a completely different, and much more dangerous trade. I've never met a drug dealer in my life that had ANYTHING to do with selling guns. You might want to get out more.

Couldn't have said it any better.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
It will only prevent some murders by gun....obviously a murder has many "tools" at his disposal. The history of gun control (with the exception of Great Britain and Australia, at least so far) has not been good for the disarmed populace.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by redbore

I'd rather not have kids from the age of 5 in kindergarten on psyco active drugs cause they have energy like all kids, then have them grow up on a system of pills and drugs to counter-act the psycosis that was brought on bye the initial drug soup they were on. I think peoples mental state is more worrying than the amount and access people have to guns. We have a society problem not a gun problem more and more people on big pharma for life more and more people snapping least thats what I am seeing happening from my perspective.

And in regards to the knife attack I think they are thanking there lucky stars no one died cause when 22 are attacked the law of averages says well you know where I am going.

I just think we need to help people all people before we ban guns from those who would never use them for evil

SaneThinking

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by redbore
I would think that if armed robber comes to my house I have better chance to survive if I don't have a gun than if I do.
You may think that, and for you it might even be true. It would not be true for me.

I found this blog post about robberies and statistics that seemed relevant. I didn't check the actual data. It says:

In less than 30% of all 2006 robberies in which another party tried to intervene did the action have a positive effect on the situation. In about 16%, it had a negative effect.

The post doesn't really say which way will more likely get you killed, but interesting anyway.
edit on 14-12-2012 by redbore because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I cant speak for anything other then a city, but in a city, it is very easy to get a gun. (And my experience comes from new york, the most strict state in the country) I am currently in the military, and everytime i go home, including my vacation 2 weeks ago, all of my friends show me their new (illegal) guns. It is much easier to get a black market gun then you might think.

Everybody in a city, knows someone who can get you a gun. The chain doesnt extend further out then that.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Gun control won't prevent murder. If I were the murdering type and I couldn't get a gun I'd get a nice big hunting knife. If I couldn't get a hunting knife I'd get a butcher knife, and so on.

Are you going to ban all knives too?

There are a myriad of ways to kill. Use your heads. Should we just ban living?

Say, there's an idea - the extinction of the human race.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a lot of this is anecdotal and observational- but try looking back at many of these spree killers, try finding one that was a tee totaller and never touched drugs, whether illegal or legal- seems to be quite a high proportion of these scumbags have altered their cranium

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
side note: it is very suspicious that this happened just a couple days after it is legal in all 50 states to carry a concealed weapon.
coincidence, or planned to work toward disarming an invadable country?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

A star for you for blipping my radar. That's a hell of a good point.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Because the average person finding a black market gun is nowhere near as easy as people want to believe it is. In cases like today, he probably just wouldn't have had a gun.

Sorry but I disagree. Let us use drugs as an example. Drugs are illegal, yet people in this country have no problem at all getting drugs. In fact, getting drugs is much easier than getting a gun. We can not even keep drugs out of maximum security prisons which are locked down and have extremely tight security measures.

Not to mention the typical argument of people having guns to defend themselves doesn't really work. What are we going to do, start arming children and teachers?

Actually yes. Teachers should be armed. Fact is, they are not and schools are considered a "gun free zone" which means it is very very illegal to have a firearm on school property, which makes schools a great target for a person who wants to kill.

Today, there is 20 or more dead kids. If Teachers were trained and armed, I bet that number would be greatly reduced and you would have a shooter who was dead before he finished emptying his first clip. Unfortunately teachers are not armed, and this shooter had time to reload.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

But what happens when one of those teachers with a gun has a mental breakdown and kills a student? Or a deranged student overpowers the teacher and takes the gun?

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ffman

I don't have an answer for that, but I think we all know what happens when Teachers are not armed.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

If if the teacher was armed, students would still likely be hurt/killed. The problem is not teachers being unarmed; it is that this individual had guns (three, in fact) in the first place. They are too easy to obtain and too accessible to anyone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join