It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Maher calls U.S. a "Stupid Country"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
The US seems to worship stupid people, just look at the press glorifying people like Paris Hilton.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Having gone around the world, I can safely say that the good ole USofA is the best. The people of the USof A are the ones that really need to look deeply into themselves. Bill Maher is just another person who spouts this stuff. He can go live in another country. YES he has the right to say his junk, but, guess what, I have that right, also.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pfcret
Having gone around the world, I can safely say that the good ole USofA is the best.

based on what exactly ? I go to the US about 3 times a year for business. The US has nothing on Australia in terms of freedom and quality of life. Anyone saying otherwise is severely misinformed.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I do not think the USA is a "better" country than most of the European countries. (I live in the netherlands)
It is not only arrogant to say it, you also show how biased and subjective you are when it comes to preferring places to live.
There are numerous reasons for people to like or dislike places to live in, and most of them have nothing to do with how "well" a country does in an objective way.

A lot of people in Europe call US a stupid country, but what they probably mean is that Bush made a lot of decisions that in the end made a fool out of America.

- Ignoring the UN regarding the war on iraq
- Ditching the kyoto agreement for the economy
- Using a tragedy like 9/11 to support his own agenda
- Starting a war on iraq for ever-changing motives, not supported by evidence
- In the meantime, not admitting 1 mistake and never ceasing the arrogant proud attitude

To Europeans it looks really weird you know. All these things going wrong over there, and the way Bush is handling it.
All these investigation regarding weapons of mass destructions showed that someone made a huge mistake over there, but Bush seems to think he did great, and so does everyone else.

In the netherlands, people would have gotten fired. And I mean a LOT of people, maybe even Bush would have been forced to quit after events like this.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by Jakko]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
I do not think the USA is not a "better" country than most of the European countries. (I live in the netherlands)
It is not only arrogant to say it, you also show how biased and subjective you are when it comes to preferring places to live.

It's not arrogant, biased or subjective if you say you prefer to live somewhere, and you have every right to your opinion that the US is not better than European countries.

I've been to 17 countries and 47 US states. I prefer the US simply for the wide open spaces that still exist and the amount and variety of nature. I also like some things about the government here even though I hate other things. I'm sure you feel the same about your government.

Making a living in this country is easy, the country's safe, and road trips from New Hampshire to Key West are possible.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Of course, but preferring to live somewhere may have nothing to do with the "quality" of a country.
You may like open spaces, but others may like an urban environment.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Mad Scientist, I have to tell you that most of us over here couldn�t care less about Paris Hilton. Don�t get us confused with what the media wants us to be concerned about. Our media is a self-glorifying creature that is concerned with mindless entertainment and culturally debasing garbage. Think of it as a terrible accident you don�t want to look at but you just can�t help yourself.

Jakko, I have a few thoughts in reference to yours.
�A lot of people in Europe call US a stupid country, but what they probably mean is that Bush made a lot of decisions that in the end made a fool out of America.

- Ignoring the UN regarding the war on Iraq
- Ditching the Kyoto agreement for the economy
- Using a tragedy like 9/11 to support his own agenda
- Starting a war on Iraq for ever-changing motives, not supported by evidence
- In the meantime, not admitting 1 mistake and never ceasing the arrogant proud attitude�

-The U.N. wasn�t ignored by us, the U.N. ignored itself and then made itself irrelevant.
-So? The Kyoto was loaded with crap that was unfair and, in my opinion, specifically targeted our economy. You�re darned right we�re going to worry about such things.
-Conjecture, theory, unfounded assertion�you get the point.
-Politically driven drivel. You know as well as I do that Hussein has everything we assumed. What, do you think he was playing hide and seek with nothing? Oh, yeah, you all think the mobile weapons labs were mobile helium labs for super secret meteorological advancements!
-Never admitting one mistake? Well, hello pot, meet kettle! I notice Europe and especially the U.N. always stumbling over themselves to admit when they screw up. As a matter of fact, I am almost deafened by France and Russia apologizing for leaving us by ourselves so that they can make gobs of under the table money with Husse�wait a minute! I�m wrong; I haven�t heard the first apology! I apologize for being wrong about that. Lookit! I just apologized for being wrong! What more do you want?!?

Talk about arrogant, look at the Europeans trying to influence my country�s election process. Speaking of Arrogance, they�ve always come across as arrogant, and now they want to throw rocks at us? Even when, during my youth, I was there in Europe so that they wouldn�t have to take crash courses in the Russian language, the Europeans came across as condescending. Hey, haven�t we already introduced Mr. Pot to Mr. Kettle?

In the Netherlands�I�m sorry, has anything on this scale happened to the Netherlands? Regardless of what you say would probably happen to your leaders were this to happen to them, considering you have to ignore much information and much known fact to say Bush was wrong and that Hussein�s regime was no threat to Americans. Furthermore, as it is not the Europeans who are currently at risk of conventional as well as non-conventional terrorist attacks, I couldn�t care less about their opinions. They�d better be worried about the invasion by population they are experiencing. If they try and stop it, they will be attack as we are, so they have a tiger of their own by the tail.

PFCret, I have a couple of parting thoughts for you.

Sir, I have been to a place or two in my time as well. Obviously, I love my country, and this is where I choose to live. However, there were some very good things about the other places I seen, and I miss those things that others were doing better than we do. Take, for example, the vastly superior community courtesy displayed in Germany. In that culture, you WILL NOT hear a horn being blown at night because the driver is too lazy to get out of the car and walk 20 feet to knock on a friend�s door. Nor will you hear boom-boxes on wheels driving through neighborhoods, nor will you see McDonald�s bags tossed out on the side of the road (unless an American soldier has been by recently). I could go on and on, but I won�t. My point is, we here at ATS are a collection of people from all over the world, and regardless of what you think about your little place in the sun, they have feelings about theirs, too, and blowing a horn for yours in such a manner is a bit on the rude side. (Besides, we know what the truth is
)

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
-The U.N. wasn�t ignored by us, the U.N. ignored itself and then made itself irrelevant.

The UN was ignored by Bush. Several countries opposed the war on Iraq, yet Bush did not listen. I call that ignoring.

-So? The Kyoto was loaded with crap that was unfair and, in my opinion, specifically targeted our economy. You�re darned right we�re going to worry about such things.

Loaded with crap? Then why was USA participating in the first place?
It's not loaded with crap, not unless you're an economy freak that puts economy above everything else.

-Conjecture, theory, unfounded assertion�you get the point.

Uhm, it's wonderfull how your leader seems to be able to connect 9/11 with Iraq in his speeches, but the sad truth is they have nothing to do with eachother.

-Politically driven drivel. You know as well as I do that Hussein has everything we assumed. What, do you think he was playing hide and seek with nothing? Oh, yeah, you all think the mobile weapons labs were mobile helium labs for super secret meteorological advancements!

It does not really matter, no proof was found. Experts agree that there were no solidproof reasons to go to a massive war on Iraq, yet Bush couldn't resist.

-Never admitting one mistake? Well, hello pot, meet kettle! I notice Europe and especially the U.N. always stumbling over themselves to admit when they screw up. As a matter of fact, I am almost deafened by France and Russia apologizing for leaving us by ourselves so that they can make gobs of under the table money with Husse�wait a minute! I�m wrong; I haven�t heard the first apology! I apologize for being wrong about that. Lookit! I just apologized for being wrong! What more do you want?!?

Some leaders in Europe may have a hard time admitting their mistakes, but it does not in any way compare to what Bush is doing.
I can't speak for every European country, but I can speak for my own country and Belgium. Kerry seems to have less trouble admitting his flaws, another reason why he should be elected.

Talk about arrogant, look at the Europeans trying to influence my country�s election process. Speaking of Arrogance, they�ve always come across as arrogant, and now they want to throw rocks at us?

Influence your countries election process? I don't think that's arrogant, neither surprising after the chain of dumb things Bush did and said.
Once again, the president of the United States (unfortunately) has a lot of influence and power, inside and outside of the US. We should be able to ventilate our opinion.

In the Netherlands�I�m sorry, has anything on this scale happened to the Netherlands?

Not on this scale, but leaders are not perfect, and this is also the case in the netherlands. At least here they have the guts to admit it. (and be fired afterwards)

Regardless of what you say would probably happen to your leaders were this to happen to them, considering you have to ignore much information and much known fact to say Bush was wrong and that Hussein�s regime was no threat to Americans.

Ignore? There is not much to ignore. Husseins regime may have been a thread to Americans, or at least to their economy, but that doesn't mean you can bomb the hell out of a country. There were a lot other ways to try to solve this.

Furthermore, as it is not the Europeans who are currently at risk of conventional as well as non-conventional terrorist attacks, I couldn�t care less about their opinions.

Hello? Do you ever watch the news? Spain, England, France are all dealing with terrorists, either targetting their country, or using their country as a working-base. The Europeans are very much at risk of attacks, and it does bother Europeans that the USA is acting as if they are the onlyones who are the target.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by Jakko]

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The U.N. ignored itself for years; members ignored our need so that they could make money with Hussein.

LOADED WITH CRAP. Unless you are an �economy freak� (Why do you people say stupid things?) you�d have supported your long-time ally instead of making money (See your first point above)

Our leaders, Czech leaders, Russian leaders�it isn�t just ours. By the way, have I thanked you for your standing with us during this struggle against those who wish us dead? Oh, yeah, you have none coming, unless birdies for your continuous finger pointing at us.

Proof has been found, you just prefer to call it other things, and always prefer to say what is found isn�t in sufficient quantity.

The next two statements are beyond even lending credit to by responding.

Pardon me, next three.

Yeah, plenty of ways to handle it. Don�t get pious with me; were it not for money to be made under the table, France and Germany would have been with us so that they could have gotten money from us through reconstruction jobs.

Yeah, I see Spain dealing with terrorism. And even after they bowed to the terrorists, the terrorists tried to hit them again. Cower, whimps, cower. While you�re cowering, come up with those elusive ways of peacefully dealing with the fanatics. Maybe some writings of Chamberlain are worth your time. Didn�t work in the past, but, hey!

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Proof has been found, you just prefer to call it other things, and always prefer to say what is found isn�t in sufficient quantity.

'Proof has been found' - of what? And what actual 'proof' are you referring to? Just curious.

Btw, scrutiny isn't a bad thing.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
In response to Thomas Crowne, I didn't say the USofA was perfect or without fault. I do miss the German countryside as well as the Benelux. Our people need to look deeply into themselves about their arrogant attitudes. The rights we enjoy are the best around. In the countries I have been in I have found there are only two types of people, good and not so good. No one country has the lock on good people nor the lock on bad people either.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by verfed
I don't think it's stupid to support the only democracy in the Middle East.

And why don't you think this isn't stupid? Uh, erm, sorry... I get it. You are Israeli. Having somebody fight proxy wars for you is just dandy.

[edit on 25-10-2004 by Aelita]

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
................based on what exactly ? I go to the US about 3 times a year for business. The US has nothing on Australia in terms of freedom and quality of life. Anyone saying otherwise is severely misinformed.

So how often do you go target shooting? and can you take your gun with you camping?

[edit on 26-10-2004 by keholmes]

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by keholmes
So how often do you go target shooting? and can you take your gun with you camping?

Oh man, hilarious!

"our government allows us all to have guns, even the retards so we can shoot at eachother, cool huh?"

Because of the ridiculous American gunlaws I am glad to be living in the netherlands. ;+)

posted on Oct, 27 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

Originally posted by keholmes
..........."our government allows us all to have guns, even the retards so we can shoot at eachother, cool huh?"

Because of the ridiculous American gunlaws I am glad to be living in the netherlands. ;+)

well I�m glad that your country thinks you a retard and you are so comfortable with it...that is largely why I�m glad your living in the Netherlands as well....see agreement all around.

[edit on 27-10-2004 by keholmes]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join