It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Tase Woman for Buying Too Many iPhones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Police Tase Woman for Buying Too Many iPhones

mashable.com

The Apple Store in Nashua, N.H,. is apparently very strict about its two-iPhones-per-customer rule. The penalty for those who break the order? Getting Tased by police.

At least that's what happened to 44-year-old Chinese national Xiaojie Li earlier this week, according to local news station WCVB.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

So here we have another story where a small Chinese woman was tased. Why? Because she was trying to buy too many iPhones.

It seems in this case the confused Chinese women did not speak English, and could not understand the commands of the police.

So has the old cliche "Shoot first and ask questions later" finally becoming more truth than saying?

So the question I am proposing to you is the following.

1) Was this justified?
2) Are police in the right of using this for this case?
3) As tasers become more and more prevalent, will we begin to see the deaths caused by tasing rise?

Currently, according to Amnesty International, the count of taser related deaths has toppled over 500 in the US.

www.amnestyusa.org...
edit on 13-12-2012 by xmaddness because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaddness

WTF!?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The police are just an army of brainwashed thugs.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
No, she was tased for refusing to leave when police told her to leave and she resisted.

She's proven she can understand enough to know what the phone limit is, observe others supposedly buying more phones, so she tries her technique to buy more phones....but she suddenly can't understand why she is being told to leave?

Li, universal language no matter where you are from is:

1. Store employees shake heads no and point to door.

2. Police show up with unhappy face and point to door.

3. Police pull out gun looking thingy with a laser pointing at your chest, and point to the door.

If you can't understand that, you will never figure out how to work an iphone.

(However, Police should have just grabbed her by the arm and whisked her out imho.
It should be understood that police in most agencies can tase you if you resist their verbal commands)

Some people can't take no for an answer:

Asian woman misses flight, throws tantrum

edit on 13-12-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
only in amerika ... police too stupid to call in a translater... as barbaric as tasers are she lucky that wasnt shot instead by the police ...guess also apple hasnt made a translation app for the idiot phone ... amazed whenever see chinese using damn idiot phones after how many have died at the factory making the damn things...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xmaddness

I think the article headline a wee bit sensationalist. Was she tased for buying too many Iphones or tased for resisting arrest and trespass after refusing to leave?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm glad to hear about this tasing.
The Apple store in my neighborhood has hundreds of Chinese people lining up every time a new iphone is released. They buy out the store and then smuggle them back to China to triple their profits.

This leaves nothing left for us Americans.

Tase away.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
only in amerika ... police too stupid to call in a translater... as barbaric as tasers are she lucky that wasnt shot instead by the police ...guess also apple hasnt made a translation app for the idiot phone ... amazed whenever see chinese using damn idiot phones after how many have died at the factory making the damn things...

She should learn english or stop playing stupid that she doesn't understand a basic human gesture to leave. Oh yeah thinking about it I am wrong. I forgot she has the right to be stupid

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

I agree the headline may not have been the best choice.

However I would like to concentrate on the fact that taser use is growing every year, and the count of deaths by taser related injuries has gone over 500 in the US alone.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
it's time to legislate NO MORE TASERS FOR POLICE in AMERICA. The home of the best of the worst.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FinalCountdown
I'm glad to hear about this tasing.
The Apple store in my neighborhood has hundreds of Chinese people lining up every time a new iphone is released. They buy out the store and then smuggle them back to China to triple their profits.

This leaves nothing left for us Americans.

Tase away.

Yes, after their rural family members (who were recruited to the city) spent 12 hours in the factory every day assembling them. You often will see me defending or at least trying to rationalize Apple and the supply chain. In this case I don't care. Apple and the police are both complete asses in this situation.

2 iphone limit per customer? That's a daily limit, weekly limit, lifetime limit? Which one exactly?

It's like you have to fight to buy things these days. (No sorry we don't take cash, no sorry there's a limit on that, no sorry you have to be club member for those, no sorry those are only sold through the online store.)

Dear god how people put up with the terrible service these days? I remember when customers were treated like the company was actually dependent on them...
edit on 13-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

As far as Chinese people bringing them back to China, at least they aren't buying the fake iPhones being produced there. That's a good message to send, try to buy full price real products, have problems like this...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmaddness
reply to post by NavyDoc

However I would like to concentrate on the fact that taser use is growing every year, and the count of deaths by taser related injuries has gone over 500 in the US alone.

To the contrary, Taser has said that more than 9,000 lives have been saved because police officers have been able to use stun guns instead of bullets.
Police had used Tasers more than 70,000 times as of last year,

Scenario: I'm going to put you into a cage with a 300 pound doped up muscle head, who wants to break you in half...
Oh, and I'm going to take away your taser.

..Start the timer

blogs.kansascity.com...

However I don't see a problem suspending Taser use pending further study.

edit on 13-12-2012 by Lonewulph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jlafleur02

She should learn english or stop playing stupid that she doesn't understand a basic human gesture to leave. Oh yeah thinking about it I am wrong. I forgot she has the right to be stupid

Just thank god this didn't happen to her in China, where the same kind of misunderstanding might have you end up being beaten by communist police, held against your will and probably end up having to pay off corrupt officials later...

Oh wait...

Is China still third world? Nope...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmaddness
reply to post by NavyDoc

I agree the headline may not have been the best choice.

I would not disagee with you. Although I see a Taser as a useful tool and a less than leathal alternative to using a gun or club, it does seem to be overused a bit. A tool should be used properly not as a cure-all in a

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Oh really? She already bought two on Friday so she knew very well the rule was just two Iphone's for person. And she goes back to buy more and plays the: Don't understand English card. So in this case are the police to stupid or the lady is just a sneaky, lying disgusting human being who is trying to fool and screw others. What's gotta do how many chinese died to make the iphones? Take it with the chinese government, the social system and the life style there, don't unload your rage and disappointment of your life on other people or other country. I see this kind of sneakiness and attempt to cheat the system by a lot of chinese people. Well bout time to learn that not all the rules can be broken. !!!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Later, Li thought up a potential workaround: She ordered two more iPhones online for in-store pickup. However, when she arrived Tuesday to complete the transaction, Apple Store employees were apparently wise to her plan and refused to give her the phones. Apple Store employees once again asked Li to leave -- a request the Chinese-speaking Li says she didn't understand.

She purchased iPhones online and was going in the store for pickup.

I just logged on to the Apple store myself and it lets me add 5 phones and add to cart. I don't see what the problem is. Oh here it is, they lifted the limit:

Apple is lifting restrictions on the number of iPhone 5 handsets a single customer can buy at once. Customers were previously allowed to buy two phones per transaction, with a ten-phone lifetime limit. That now appears to have been increased to a ten-phone limit per transaction, with no lifetime limit.

www.imore.com...

I'm not surprised the woman is confused, walk into any place in China with cash in hand, and you are royalty until you've spent it all. For some reason, Apple retail locations are don't care about money...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

...lying disgusting human being who is trying to fool and screw others.

Really? Someone is a "Lying disgusting human being" for trying to bypass a rule that is already been removed?

Apple is lifting restrictions on the number of iPhone 5 handsets a single customer can buy at once. Customers were previously allowed to buy two phones per transaction, with a ten-phone lifetime limit. That now appears to have been increased to a ten-phone limit per transaction, with no lifetime limit.

www.imore.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
First of all I think it's stupid that Apple ever had, or still does in some places a limit on how many iPhones one can buy, I don't see how they could stop someone from going to another store etc...

Having said that, I think the woman in this video is an idiot!! She clearly knew there was a limit, she was able to understand the store employee enough to know she had to go home and purchase more iPhones through their online store!! I think she speaks more English than she's letting on, why? well it gives her more sympathy!

She was acting like an a$$ and got what she deserved!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
i was not there but sounds excessive. I cant judge. Not sure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join