It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Shout Out to retired Navy Seals, Kilo Victor Oscar!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
A U.S. Marine jailed in Mexico after being caught with his grandfather's antique shotgun
was arrested by the Mexicans after being told it was OK to enter Mexico with the relic.
According to his dad, a call came at midnight from Mexico's notorious CEDES prison, where Jon Hammar Jr. has been held since August. His 27 year old son, who has served in the Marines for the final push on Fallujah, called his dad stating "They're serious, Dad," Jon Hammar Sr. heard his son say. "I'll pay you back; they are going to kill me."
The abuse includes being chained for days to a steel bed.
According to Fox News, " Hammar, who faced down Iraqi insurgents in the final push on Fallujah in 2004, has been in dangerous situations before. But his treatment in the infamous prison, where Mexico's murderous Los Zetas and Gulf drug cartels hold sway, has his family fearing for the 27-year-old's life -- and begging the Obama administration for help. Hammar was arrested in the Mexican border city of Matamoros on Aug. 13, after declaring to a Mexican customs agent that he possessed an antique shotgun he was carrying through the country on his way to Costa Rica, where he and a pal planned to surf and forget the horrors of war that plagued Hammar long after his honorable discharge in 2007."

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Since Mr Obama is not going to do anything about this, perhaps some retired SEALS can persuade a peaceful release.

www.foxnews.com...

edit on 13-12-2012 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

What was his rationale for taking the weapon? It was an antique. Why risk it?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Sorry, cant sympathize.
When has it ever been ok to bring any type of firearm into Mexico? Never.
US Border Patrol told him it was ok? Since when are they experts on Mexican Law?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Sorry, cant sympathize.
US Border Patrol told him it was ok? Since when are they experts on Mexican Law?

No spin zone here amigo, the border patrol asked him to check with the mexicans.
" after declaring to a Mexican customs agent that he possessed an antique shotgun he was carrying through the country on his way to Costa Rica..."
:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Sorry, cant sympathize.

" after declaring to a Mexican customs agent that he possessed an antique shotgun he was carrying through the country on his way to Costa Rica"

No spin zone here amigo, the border patrol asked him to check with the mexicans. " after declaring to a Mexican customs agent that he possessed an antique shotgun he was carrying through the country on his way to Costa Rica..." :

Absolute proof that I did read it.. Did you?

Even though a U.S. border agent in Brownsville, Texas, had assured Hammar the gun was legal as long as he declared it to Mexican authorities, he was nabbed just across the border, and charged with an aggravated felony punishable up to 15 years in prison.

edit on 12/13/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Only a liberal would be OK to extort money from somebody else. The mexican government is filled with corruption.
So much, that the State Dept has sent out travel warnings to US citizens.It's sad to think that some people are OK with non-Americans chaining Americans to a bed for days, while being tortured, but get irate when US troops take photos of prisoners. Obviously, you lack any compassion or moral compass for your fellow man.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Lol, you were shown to be wrong so you start dragging political affiliations into it?
Have fun with your ignorance, im done here

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Lol, you were shown to be wrong so you start dragging political affiliations into it?
Have fun with your ignorance, im done here

What ever.

Any SEALS out there?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I am happy to announce that this Marine is back home celebrating Christmas with his family.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am a retired Army Special Forces Officer. I worked with many a SEAL while in JSOC. I wished that someone would have pulled a Ross Perot style raid, hiring say XE or whatever they call themselves today to go into Mexico and free this kid.

I am way past my prime of participating in a direct action mission but I am sure my advance work and surveillance skills are still up to par. I would have gladly volunteered to go get him, giving a big middle finger to the whole corrupt Mexican government from our black bird on the way out.

Mexico is a horrible mess of a country. I never operated there but did in Columbia and Honduras in the late 80's early 90's. The place is similarly run by the drug cartels.

Sad, we should just erect a huge fence with a mine field and towers every 300m and kill anyone who dares to touch said fence - soon we'd have zero illegal immigration issues.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm a former SWCC Operator and worked for Tri global and Blackwater and have been following the story since it started. I would have loved for someone to have organized a clandestine extraction operation to rescue him, I'd have dam sure volunteered my services for the cause. Not long after the story broke I was talking to a couple of my former crewmembers about how screwed up it was that the tyrant in chief wouldn't do anything to secure his release but would bent over backwards to accommodate the illegals here. I know for a fact that my old boat team could have safely rescued him and made a hell of a statement in doing so. The drug cartel operating within that prison would have definitely been considerably smaller when we helo'd out.
edit on 25-12-2012 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NucleardiverI know for a fact that my old boat team could have safely rescued him and made a hell of a statement in doing so. The drug cartel operating within that prison would have definitely been considerably smaller when we helo'd out.

I am convinced it probably wouldn't require a fantastic dream team of operators to pull off a snatch from a Mexican prison.

Probably could be pulled off by any line platoon in the Army or Marines. Certainly, a Ranger platoon (or Company depending on the acerage) or even an Army Scout or Marine Scout/Sniper platoon could do it easily.

A small advance team for surveillance and intelligence and 6 or so (depending on size of the facility) security teams (2-4 people) with anti-vehicle, sniper and suppressive fire weapons for the avenues of approach.

Also if you could swing it an aerial marksmanship team would be good.

A breach team, assault element and a command and control element (with medical) and it would be a cake walk.

These cartels are thugs with expensive weapons but no training.

The audacity and surprise of the attack would be enough to carry it off.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Hes already been released and is most likely back home in Florida by now.

edit: Just saw that the op already updated this.
edit on 12/26/2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It happens. Hunters have been jailed going into Mexico with a few forgotten cartriges on the floor of their vehicle. For some of the strictest gun control laws in the Americas, Mexico has a massive murder rate.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Yea because only the criminals have the guns and others have no way to defend themselves...
Where have I heard that before?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
I am a retired Army Special Forces Officer.

How long were you in the field before you rotated out to other duty? Are alphas kept longer now? Back when, you had to hit it and then leave, captains rotated out pretty fast, warrants were forever.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam
How long were you in the field before you rotated out to other duty? Are alphas kept longer now? Back when, you had to hit it and then leave, captains rotated out pretty fast, warrants were forever.

The Special Forces Branch for Officers doesn't become available until one makes 1LT(P) then one goes to the Q course and is assigned to a team for 24 months as a Captain. This is considered Command time similar to Company Command for other branches.

Once you complete your 24 months as Team Leader you will still be an SF Officer (18A) but you rotate through staff positions to learn the ropes (All the S shops and such). There are of course the "special nominative type" detachments opportunities for officers that enlisted folks have. A lot of unique leadership opportunities are available.

Once you make Major, you might luck into Command of a SF Company like I did - or what is known as B detachment. Its Commanding the 6 SFODA's in the completion of their missions and in my case came with Command of a regional operating area in Afghanistan. Mostly politics - not a lot of sexy action but necessary.

If one stays in the Special Operations Branch for a career as a traditional officer tracked person unless he is superman he will retire as a LTC probably. There are just not a lot of opportunities for large organizational leadership. A lot of guys will ask for infantry commands at the Battalion level or higher if they are into that thing. Most are satisfied to be operators.

Hardly any of the General Officers in the Army are from the SF branch, ironically most of them are SF qualified though. They are known as the ticket punchers...

I was enlisted before I became an officer I was a SFC Special Forces Engineer Sergeant. I started as an infantry man in the 75th. I also, have the MOS 97B (which is something else now) that was required for a nominative type job when I was enlisted. I was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in Military Intelligence and spent my mandatory time assigned to SF units in a support role. Other than the platoon leader time that was required - I was a CI Platoon Leader.

One can stay 18A but it is a decision that will result in a hard ceiling of LTC - perhaps COL if you are a superstar.

I knew I wouldn't even make that having become an officer so late in my career so the decision for me was an easy one. I am cool retireing at Major having been both a Senior NCO and Field Grade Officer in SF.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I am cool retireing at Major having been both a Senior NCO and Field Grade Officer in SF.

Charlie? Cool beans. I saw more deltas do the officer transition for some reason. I'd have thought you would have gone foxtrot with an intel background.

Yeah, I never saw an alpha get past Col either. It's almost like it's a curse.

Back in '85, they offered Echoes a Charlie with 13 more weeks of school time, because they were running low. Don't know if they still do that.

edit to add: I once met an ACD, he told me he used to teach people how to rig explosives, then stitch up the stumps when they didn't listen. Damndest combo ever.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

I am cool retiring at Major having been both a Senior NCO and Field Grade Officer in SF.

Charlie? Cool beans. I saw more deltas do the officer transition for some reason. I'd have thought you would have gone foxtrot with an intel background.

Yeah, I never saw an alpha get past Col either. It's almost like it's a curse.

Back in '85, they offered Echoes a Charlie with 13 more weeks of school time, because they were running low. Don't know if they still do that.
edit on 27-12-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

I never went to the F course as an enlisted SF guy they sent me to the 97B course (Which was the Counterintelligence Agent course - comes with a badge and credentials as a federal agent) for the special assignment in VA I had at the time. I think all the surveillance and HUMINT skills after the 97B course would have been redundant.

All the MOS are short at different times and it is often that kids will start the Q course as one thing and sometime in the middle be offered something else to make shortfalls. Usually, with a big incentive either in cash or promise for a cool add on like MFF or SCUBA after they graduate.

Delta are always short because so many go on to applied for the PA course and Medical School after they graduate. Hard to find a really senior 18D anywhere most go on to pursue some commissioned route. The community basically forces their hand – I have hardly ever heard of a Delta making Team Sergeant mostly it’s the Bravos who make that. So if they want to advance most find a route that suits them. I have met a few Delta’s who became 180s because they like the direct action stuff and know once they make Senior Delta status they are going to the B team and will hardly ever be doing any shooting.

I went Engineer on the BEAR program when I came out of my first enlistment with Ranger Regiment. It had the highest $$$ multiplier - LOL. What can I say I am shallow.

I'm sure you know once on a team or in the community the MOS actually means squat as you just gravitate to whatever you are best at doing.

I was found to be good at intelligence type work so as you build your "rep" in the business word gets out and you are sought to fill some nominative gig that suits you. I think I went almost 8-10 of my 24 years never wearing a uniform of any type.

I was a good interrogator and did a stint at SERE as an instructor and went over to England on an exchange with the SAS as an officer to be the XO of their R2I program for their operators. (Resistance to Interrogation = R2I in their parlance) Did some operating in Uzbekistan after the lord Obama outlawed any enhanced methods - we had to subcontract the work.

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Big deal so what if the guy was a Navy Seal,does that justify his stupidity?,it is against the law to take weapons over the border,did he think he was special,guy was a dumb ass IMO

top topics

<<   2 >>

join